Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleo "fat bombs"

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Paleo "fat bombs"

Just got back from a 5 day canoe trip. Made up some high energy food before heading out. It's a very simple recipe of cocout butter, chopped nuts, and dried fruit. I mixed pecans and dried apples. Very tasty, filling, and loaded with calories. Simply melt a whole jar, or whatever amount you wish, in a pot of water. Just set the jar in the water. Be careful as any high temp causes the butter to turn brown. Don't use a microwave or stove top. Actually just setting the stuff in the sun works best. At any rate melt the coconut butter and add whatever you wish. I poured the mixture in a muffin pan then walked away and let it cool. It has a good taste which is also a plus. You may want to add dried, crushed meat making a pseudo pemmican protein fat bar.

Thanks

It is like coconut pemmican...bet it tastes lots better than the traditional stuff

Nature Worshiping Druid Supporter oldpagan's Avatar
    Thanks

Try coconut butter, unsweetened coco, and splenda, melt and mix and allow to set up in the refrigerator. The cut in small squares and enjoy a paleo friendly chocolate substitute. Its the small things that keep ya going...
    I'm not a Sheepdog, just a Wolf that hunts other Wolves.

Bushclass Basic: Required: 5/13, Electives: 5/5, Outings: 0/5

Blissful simpleton Supporter brionic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,343 Posts

Here's another one:

"Poo" - Peanut butter, cocoa butter, chocolate chips, powdered milk, cocoa powder, honey, chocolate chips, maybe some nuts. Combine them into a roll shape, wrap in plastic cling, and chill it. Cold and wrapped, it will hold together Unwrap it when you're ready to take a bite.

Be cautious who sees you eating it though.

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,427 Posts

I'd be crapping my lungs out if I ate too many of those

PMZ

Scout
    Thanks

Coconut butter? or oil? Is there a difference?

Tracker
    Thanks

There is a difference. Coconut oil melts easily, is soft, and is used mostly in cooking. It would be a melted mess in pemmican or anything that needs to remain hard at room temp or warmer. Coconut butter is much harder at room temp and burns quite easily with heat. I use it kind of like a condiment on vegetables. Melt it a bit and pour it on. As to how each one is rendered from the coconut I have no clue. Maybe someone else here knows. I simply haven't looked into it.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Capt. Redbush's Avatar
    Thanks

Interesting. I've never heard of coconut butter. Where do you find it? Health food stores? I use coconut oil for just about everything I can't use olive oil with (brownies are NOT good made with olive oil!!) but would be interested to play around with the butter. Does it set hard like coconut oil?

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldpagan View Post
    Try coconut butter, unsweetened coco, and splenda, melt and mix and allow to set up in the refrigerator. The cut in small squares and enjoy a paleo friendly chocolate substitute. Its the small things that keep ya going...
    My Doc says that artificial sweeteners send the same signals to the brain as refined sugar, thus causing fat storage. It seems the only thing you don't get from the artificial sweeteners is taste and calories. I'd put in more dried fruit.

Blissful simpleton Supporter brionic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,004 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cohutta View Post
    My Doc says that artificial sweeteners send the same signals to the brain as refined sugar, thus causing fat storage. It seems the only thing you don't get from the artificial sweeteners is taste and calories. I'd put in more dried fruit.
    Mostly true. In many cases "artificial" sweeteners are worse than sucrose. It has to do with glycemic index and how quickly vs. gradually your body processes the sweets and carbs you put into it.

Here's a primer that explains the differences between some "natural" and "artificial" sweeteners:

http://www.organiclifestylemagazine....ternatives.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast