Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pvc bow?

Scout
    Thanks

Default pvc bow?

i know some of yall have probably heard of the PVC BOW. I was wondering would one at a 40 pounds at full draw be enough to kill deer? Thanks for your input

Scout
    Thanks

I have made a couple. Some things I noticed:

Draw length is just as important as poundage when figuring penetration and speed.

They are fun to make, and useful for game smaller than deer, if you find that you have made one that doesn't measure up, they will still work for fish and the like.

I would make your bow, then compare it to a recurve or longbow of known power into a styrofoam block. Then use that as a baseline on your bows.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chinookpilot77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've been considering making one for myself, but one problem that I am reminded of is this: deer season is typically in winter and pvc is very anti-winter... I'm trying to think of a way to coat the pvc or something so that it doesn't break in my arm or face while trying to nail that ever-elusive monster buck!! The PVC bow vids that I saw were in the summer months. No winter PVC bow vids yet. I love to hear how your research goes, but be careful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stronghorse For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stronghorse View Post
    I've been considering making one for myself, but one problem that I am reminded of is this: deer season is typically in winter and pvc is very anti-winter... I'm trying to think of a way to coat the pvc or something so that it doesn't break in my arm or face while trying to nail that ever-elusive monster buck!! The PVC bow vids that I saw were in the summer months. No winter PVC bow vids yet. I love to hear how your research goes, but be careful.
    i will but here in GA it doesnt get very cold

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bush guy View Post
    i will but here in GA it doesnt get very cold
    Same for AL.

Thanks

I have no doubt that a pvc bow of reasonable poundage will kill deer. but pvc is inherently fragile. (susceptible to heat, cold, can be brittle, loses weight and cast over time) I dont think I would ever take one for that reason alone, they just don't last like a wood bow can.

40 pounds is a bit on the weak side for deer hunting for me, but it would certainly do the job, at an appropriate distance, as long as it casts well. most states have hunting weight limits of 45 or more, so you might want to look into that.

if you like pvc bows check out the book "the impossible bow" a young guy wrote it and has really done some amazing things with pvc bows.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by statikpunk View Post
    I have no doubt that a pvc bow of reasonable poundage will kill deer. but pvc is inherently fragile. (susceptible to heat, cold, can be brittle, loses weight and cast over time) I dont think I would ever take one for that reason alone, they just don't last like a wood bow can.

40 pounds is a bit on the weak side for deer hunting for me, but it would certainly do the job, at an appropriate distance, as long as it casts well. most states have hunting weight limits of 45 or more, so you might want to look into that.

if you like pvc bows check out the book "the impossible bow" a young guy wrote it and has really done some amazing things with pvc bows.
    ive seen the book havent read it

Thanks

I came on BCUSA to ask if anyone had tried to make a pvc bow and found this thread wow ,i had two lengths of pipe which i am not sure if the material they use in USA differs from the stuff here in the Uk,anyways i tried to heat and bend it as per youtube instructions and it kinked really easy so not so easy for me any tips on this the guys who have had success with it please.It certainly is not as easy as it looks and even saw some tutorials on YT how to bend pvc by filling with hot sand etc and i noticed there is even a special tool in the US called pvc bendit.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecold View Post
    I came on BCUSA to ask if anyone had tried to make a pvc bow and found this thread wow ,i had two lengths of pipe which i am not sure if the material they use in USA differs from the stuff here in the Uk,anyways i tried to heat and bend it as per youtube instructions and it kinked really easy so not so easy for me any tips on this the guys who have had success with it please.It certainly is not as easy as it looks and even saw some tutorials on YT how to bend pvc by filling with hot sand etc and i noticed there is even a special tool in the US called pvc bendit.
    dont let the pipe get too hot thats y its kinking and then it could be bc the pvc is to thin bc ours is really thick

Thanks

I've built and shot them at targets. They fling light arrows great. I believe in Wisconsin 40#( may be 35#, I need to check the regs) is all you need to shoot white tails. The bows I have made are simple, no heating or bending reqd.

Buid one shoot it see what happens.
    JJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast