Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harrington & Richardson lets see em.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,157 Times in 1,826 Posts

I own a stainless barrel .223 like the one pictured below) but with a 3 x 9 Barska Russian made scope, it's my wild goat rifle. I also own a 12 gauge, and a 20 gauge Pardner shotguns. On the 12 I removed the pistol grip on the butt stock making it a straight stock, and slimmed down the fore end to make it look more "English" in style (sorry no pictures yet).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vmhawke View Post
    This is kinda cool. I gotta an old model 949 .22 that is inbad need of parts, and a holster identical to yours. Dang, I miss Otasco stores.
    Oklahoma Tire and Supply Company- OTASCO. I grew up shopping at those. I've been gone so long I didn't know they were not around anymore. Pity.

Thanks

My first post to this awesome site, and one of my favorite threads.
    Probably my favorite gun, a 999 Sportsman, 1967 model I think:

I also have the Deluxe Topper Model 98 20ga my dad bought new in about 1978. He used it some but usually let one of us boys carry it as he carried his old .410.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gn83tm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 958 Posts

Oh yeah, added a .44 mag Handi Rifle picked up at a show, was a Whitetails Model 2001, on SB2 receiver....since the last post.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnkochee View Post
    I own a stainless barrel .223 like the one pictured below) but with a 3 x 9 Barska Russian made scope, it's my wild goat rifle. I also own a 12 gauge, and a 20 gauge Pardner shotguns. On the 12 I removed the pistol grip on the butt stock making it a straight stock, and slimmed down the fore end to make it look more "English" in style (sorry no pictures yet).

I would love to hear how you did that and see a pic. I much prefer straight stocks. I'm not very handy when it comes to wood work though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I would love to hear how you did that and see a pic. I much prefer straight stocks. I'm not very handy when it comes to wood work though.
    I have it stashed in my gun safe with stuff blocking it. Give me a day or so to dig it out and take a picture of it along with an actual picture of my scoped .223. I wish I took a before shot of my 12 gauge pardner before a trimmed the stock but I guess it would look like any other run-of-the-mill 28" barrel Pardner. Basically just trimmed the pistol grip off with my band saw then shaped it with my belt sander with final sanding by hand before staining the rather plain pallet-wood (birch?) stock a dark walnut.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,508 Times in 826 Posts
    Items for Sale

Man that is one sweet pistol. Never seen that model before. I love those break action style pistols. How does it shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by gn83tm View Post
    My first post to this awesome site, and one of my favorite threads.
    Probably my favorite gun, a 999 Sportsman, 1967 model I think:

I also have the Deluxe Topper Model 98 20ga my dad bought new in about 1978. He used it some but usually let one of us boys carry it as he carried his old .410.
    Lodestar Knife & Tool
    http://instagram.com/lodestarknife/
    "The wildwood is an enchanted realm, and those who would its wonders see must first obey its commands." - Ellsworth Yaeger, "Wildwood Wisdom," 1955

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickyp8888 View Post
    I get the cut your teeth part. the first 12g I shot was an HR single but you have to think about safty if im out and i stumble upon hogs 1 shot aint gonna cut it.I like traditonal weapons as well but you wont see me out with a single shot and a pocket full of shells....but whatever floats your boat
    Maybe Texas pigs have a different temperament than our Hawaiian boars. That's what we mostly have here are pigs, and allot of them but I have never felt under-gunned using a single shot. My experience over 40 years has been one shot one drop with the rest of the herd (sounder) scattering from the sound of the shot. The very large boars are usually solitary. My hunting is mostly in thick rain forest with most shots pretty much point blank so rarely time for the second shot even with a repeater. On my island (Oahu) most hunters prefer archery or knife & hounds where the risks are even higher buy rarely hear of any trouble.
    If need be I am able to reload my single shot fast enough that I have been able to shoot down a flushing bird with a second shot my shotgun having a strong ejector to spit out an empty, and always having a second round ready in my left hand. Can be done with practice though I've never had to on a pig in all my years.
    I've hunted Texas west of San Antonio and I hunted using my single shot 357 magnum rifle. The country was drier and more open than what I am used to hunting here in the islands. Didn't see any pigs but I did pop a nice Blackbuck Antelope. Again, maybe Texas pigs have a different temperament than our Hawaiian boars.
    Hunt with whatever makes you feel confident.

Thanks

It's actually a Tamer model, not the .410/45lc "Survivor" model, I just changed the stock after I bought it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karlhungusjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
    Man that is one sweet pistol. Never seen that model before. I love those break action style pistols. How does it shoot?
    Better than the owner Actually it shoots quite well but I've never really measured groups or anything. I like to load it up with CB shorts and plink away off the deck while I'm grilling. The top break makes it easy to load/unload and the shorts are quiet enough to not require hearingr protection.

I think they started making these in the late 30s or early 40s and went until the early 80s. The early ones had a solid barrel (4 or 6") of the same shape but didn't have the machining in them to make it sort of a vent rib. The one shown has the firing pin attached to the hammer but later models had a transfer bar system. I had one of those but our house was broken into and it was stolen. I liked it so much that I ran a wanted ad in the local shopper paper. An older gentleman called and said he had a new one in a dresser drawer - no box but it was covered in the factory protectant lube and wrapped in the factory paper. That was a great find!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast