Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Henry Octagon Frontier

Thanks
    Thanked 8,123 Times in 1,138 Posts

Default New Henry Octagon Frontier

I purchased a 10/22 takedown earlier this year but lost interest in it fairly quickly, I have been wanting an octagon barreled henry for some time now after seeing photos of some custom work done on them and decided to buy one from sportsmans here in flagstaff and eventually sell my 10/22.

The gun shoots nice groups, except excessively right with all ammo even with the front sight drifted far right its still right of center on target (i've just gotten used to getting bad luck with guns for the most part, mostly when I buy from a store) I told henry and they are going to take a look at it, likely replace the barrel but for now im plinking around with it using Kentucky windage.

really like it after I did some work on the barrel band and receiver cover, just bummed about the windage.

Before (getting ready for squirrel season)

Really dont like henry's painted on finish, so I stripped the receiver cover, still need to do the lower tang, I like it more this way personally

shooting out near my house

Overall a good gun, save the sight issue, and I like that I can shoot all the .22's, short, long and long rifle, makes a good pest control gun.

Ill get some accuracy reports up when I get it back from henry

thanks,

Adam

Thanks
    Thanked 12,041 Times in 2,875 Posts

Slap some paste wax on that receiver. Rub it on, allow it to dry, and buff. It will keep better than grease and oil and will protect the bare metal from oxidation and staining.

Johnson's works fine; lots of the high zoot museum guys swear by Renaissance.

Axe mob oaf

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brionic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a similar gun, the small game carbine and it is a keeper!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PaPa K For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brionic View Post
    Slap some paste wax on that receiver. Rub it on, allow it to dry, and buff. It will keep better than grease and oil and will protect the bare metal from oxidation and staining.

Johnson's works fine; lots of the high zoot museum guys swear by Renaissance.
    I was just using a beeswax/coconut oil mix that i use for wood stocks but I will have to give that a try, im letting it oxidize a bit right now to get a good patina going.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slips73 For This Useful Post:

TANSTAAFL
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,554 Times in 3,954 Posts

They are lovely rifles, I’m sure you will get years of enjoyment with it.

I had problems with mine as well. I did not know I had a problem for a year or so because I had scoped the rifle. I decided it just looked better without the scope so I removed it and went with the factory iron sights. I emailed them told them what was going on and they sent me a new front barrel band/front sight which solved my problem. I was impressed as the rifle was over a year old when I complained. It replacement was nice being made from blued metal while the factory original was plastic and they sent in no charge. Great customer service!! My problem was not windage but elevation. Mine is also a round barrel model.
    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote

The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that you'll grow out of it

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to werewolf won For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf won View Post
    They are lovely rifles, I’m sure you will get years of enjoyment with it.

I had problems with mine as well. I did not know I had a problem for a year or so because I had scoped the rifle. I decided it just looked better without the scope so I removed it and went with the factory iron sights. I emailed them told them what was going on and they sent me a new front barrel band/front sight which solved my problem. I was impressed as the rifle was over a year old when I complained. It replacement was nice being made from blued metal while the factory original was plastic and they sent in no charge. Great customer service!! My problem was not windage but elevation. Mine is also a round barrel model.
    They are a good company to work with which is why I take my chances, my friend is actually the nephew of the owner (Mr. Imperato) so i like to support them, they sent one of my friends new screws, cover, and magazine tube follower after he lost the parts (he had it dissasembled) and they sent it on their dime

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slips73 For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,005 Posts

Slips 73, if your sights are adjusted all the way to the right your gun will shoot to the right, if you want to move your group to the left, move your rear sight to the left, the group always follows the rear sight, the front sight gets drifted in the opposite direction.
    So, if your gun is shooting to the right move the rear sight to the left and the group will move left.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moe M. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

exactly, my front sight is drifted right, to compensate for the fact the gun shot right when the front sight is center. It shoots closer to point of aim but still quite off, Im adjusted the rear sight a tad, but the sights look funky now with them so off center, its a barrel issue not sights.

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,671 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slips73 View Post
    exactly, my front sight is drifted right, to compensate for the fact the gun shot right when the front sight is center. It shoots closer to point of aim but still quite off, Im adjusted the rear sight a tad, but the sights look funky now with them so off center, its a barrel issue not sights.
    I think you misunderstood me, you again said you have your sights all the way to the right, that will make it shoot to the right, to move your group to the left and on center you have to move the rear sight to the left, the rule for adjusting the rear sight is to move it in the direction you want the bullet to go.

Thanks

I know what your saying, i shoot iron sights exclusively, re-read what I said, i didnt say my sights, I said my front sight

But I will summarize as we are on the same page but you may have understood it wrong.
    -groups shooting right to begin with
    - I adjust front sight right (opposite of where you want them) with FRONT sight drifted far right still shooting right
    - I also adjusted rear sight left, still shooting right. (It is closer to center, better then before but still shooting right, it is likely a barrel issue at that point.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast