Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Mini 14

Thanks

Default Ruger Mini 14

I'm wanting to get a .223 rifle and I am leaning heavily to the Ruger mini 14. I'm interested in it because it is light, cheep, designed after a proven platform (M14/M1 Garand) and its different from the run of the mill AR. From what I understand they have had improvements in barrel quality and other aspects. I would love to get some insight, and some facts. It would be nice to have a good quality .223 without being an AR clone.

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,456 Times in 3,565 Posts

there was a big thread on this not to long ago. Search and you will find lots of good info.
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,938 Times in 855 Posts

I have a very old Ruger Mini-14 and owned another. Firstoff, if you're wanting it as a combat rifle or something, it really isn't one...They call it, "the ranch rifle" for a reason. It's a saddle carbine. I'll just list a few overall points and you can decide:

Cons:
    1)Good magazines are a must, or the reliability goes down the tubes
    2)They are NOT an accurate rifle in general. Mine is better than most and it'll shoot a snuffcan at a hundred yards, and then open up to pieplate in rapid fire due to the heat. I've heard the newer ones(2002 plus, I think?) are much more accurate, but the price also doubles...

Pros:
    1) Light! Incredibly handy. Gotta love 'em.
    2) Reliable as heck(with good magazines)
    3) Modifiable(if you're into that)
    4) Cheap (Mine is nearly mint and I got it for around $400)
    5) And of course, the overall slick design with a five round magazines makes them easy to put in a rifle scabbard on a horse, or just still a lot of firepower carrying through brush or whatnot, without broomhandles and magazines sticking out...

....There ya have it
    Last edited by Rider; 02-19-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,884 Times in 658 Posts

Mine was the bicentineal model be careful buying used they changed the internals at one point so all parts are not interchangable loved mine

Thanks

I'd compare the Mini-14 against a basic AR, without all of the fancy add-ons, before I spent my money on anything. ARs aren't all that expensive until you start loading them up with trick parts, a rail system, etc. In general, an AR will have cheaper magazines and better accuracy. That said, the most interesting thing I've seen from Ruger in a while is their new Scout Rifle. It is a nice looking piece of work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raider197500 View Post
    Mine was the bicentineal model be careful buying used they changed the internals at one point so all parts are not interchangable loved mine
    Got that right....be sure to find date of manufacture of any Mini 14 "lots of stuff is model/date senitive....
    Was alright,.....but didn't do well after a few rounds, swapped it for a .357 S&W

Thanks
    Thanked 13,155 Times in 2,918 Posts

Two or three years ago all the machinery was replaced that the Mini was made on and the accuracy is much improved and the reliability not harmed, the newer ones will often shoot as well as most ars and are still cheaper, I have ars and a new mini and love both.
    You can now get one with a tacticl look if thats what you want, heres mine!

Larry
    Last edited by Bax 40; 05-27-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    Just my opinion, I COULD be wrong!!

Turley #88 GEEZER

AXE MOB

Thanks

If the new higher price on these is too much, you might want to consider a Saiga in .223. They function flawlessly, are decently accurate and can be had for under 5 bills. Lots of after market parts to flip your trigger if you so choose. They also come in .308, 5.45x39 and 7.62x39.
    Last edited by Taliesin; 02-19-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 1,325 Posts

I really like the Mini 14, however, the one I have (.223 cal.) has a very loud report and ear protection is advised.
    USN Veteran U.S. Naval Intelligence

Lose yourself in nature and you will find yourself at home!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,791 Times in 630 Posts

I am a huge Ruger fan BUT, every mini I ever shot fired 100 yard groups like a shotgun pattern (even the "heavy barrel" model). If you must have an auto, do yourself a favor and buy an AR. They are rapidly approaching the status of 1911s & 10/22s for aftermarket parts and interchangeability. If I do my part my AR will shoot 1" or less @ 100 yards with iron sights...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast