Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another go-round...

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 856 Posts

Default Another go-round...

I honestly hate making another thread under, "edged tools" just because there is a billion, even though it's my favorite section yet I do have a wondering...And possibly a stupid one, yet I shall ask nevertheless...

Is there any real use for a neckknife? When bushcrafting I have a chopper on my pack and a small(4inch blade, usually) cutter on my belt...

...Yet I lust after the BHK Frontier Valley(anyone have one?), but I need to justify it, because I admit that I am a knifeaholic. So, what does everyone think? Is there any use in any way for a neckknife?

At work I carry my BHK bushcrafter on my belt, but rarely use it because it is strapped in by the lanyard through the ferro rod, which is in turn strapped in...So it's a pain in the arse if I need it quickly, which I usually do.

Penny for your thoughts?

Bushmaster
    Thanks

a lot of times the knife on my neck is much easier to access - and put back - than the one on my belt....

There's really little a small blade can't do. not really. It just takes patience and some understanding.

from my Grandfather cleaning all his game with a 2" knife...to seeing the vids on the PSK blades dressing deer and hogs...it's just another option.
    one that's with ya as long as you have your neck.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,623 Times in 1,103 Posts

I dunno... I bought a neck knife even though I have a multiple belt knives and usually carry an axe or other chopper. I don't know if there's a "need" for one exactly, but I sure wanted one

For now at least my plan is to use my neck knife on trips where I bring a big knife, and leave it at home when I'm carrying a belt knife instead. I don't see needing a knife on my belt AND on my neck most of the time, but a small sharp necker is a nice companion when I'm carrying a machete or other chopper in my pack. Another nice use - the necker is easier to get to than a belt knife in if you're wearing a pack with a hipbelt.
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

Thanks
    Thanked 3,949 Times in 856 Posts

Hmm, yes....That's where all my thoughts were going towards as well, with the necker being easier to get at...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 669 Posts

My name Is Cary and im a knifeaholic also i feel your pain

Thanks
    Thanked 4,087 Times in 1,052 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JLRider View Post

At work I carry my BHK bushcrafter on my belt, but rarely use it because it is strapped in by the lanyard through the ferro rod, which is in turn strapped in...So it's a pain in the arse if I need it quickly, which I usually do.

Penny for your thoughts?

I believe you have made your own case.....

A small neck knife is just so handy that pocket folder or belt hung fixed blades really never get a chance if you have a nice neck knife.

Out of the sheath one handed, cut, back in the sheath....two blinks of your eye.

No rummaging around, squirming so you hand can sort out a pocket knife, or moving your coat or vest out of the way to grab a belted blade....nope, out, cut, in....done.

Hang the neck blade on a comfortable lanyard and shazam, all your other knives get a well deserved rest.

Vintage Eagle Scout Supporter Busheagle's Avatar
    Thanks

You cant have enough blades in my opinion, I know, I need a 12 step program. I carry my eskabar in the field all the time. Alot of it, IMHO, comes down to personal preference.
    "The Mountains are calling ....." - John Muir
    Bushcraft Basic Lessons 12/13, Electives 5/5, Outings 0/5
    http://Busheaglesblog.blogspot.com
    @Busheagle1 on Twitter or Busheagle on Instagram
    Swiss Army Knife Fan Club http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/group.php?groupid=150

Thanks

wheni fly fish i only carry my neck knife which is incidentally the frontier valley love that knife. i throw the belt knife in my pack so it stays dry whilst i wade(hopefully) and i lost a belt knife in a river once so the neck knife is perfect.

Mod Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,539 Times in 4,131 Posts

I like one in the winter time when I am not wearing a belt
    Nights camped in 2014---19, so far.

"If you're passionate about something, you can't do it half-assed. It won't work. It's either all or nothing. If you're not going to give it your all, stop wasting your time"

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL------->http://www.youtube.com/user/josephallen19

Thanks

Really some fine looking kangaroo braiding on that neck lanyard, Schwert! The terminal knot and/or slip looks really interesting, too. Not a bad knife either (great envy).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast