Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My small town Hardware store

Thanks
    Thanked 3,767 Times in 1,070 Posts

Default My small town Hardware store

Picked up a hand powered 5" grinder that mounts to a table/bench at the local Hardware store. This store has been in business since around 1872.
    An old brick building with oak plank floors, a pot belly stove and some things that havent been made in probaly 50 years or more. The only place I know of that sells a cider press- there is a Peavey and cane poles- cast iron skillets and stuff that used to be made in the USA with handwritten price tags covered with dust. I wish there were more places like it- If you have any gems like this please share because I fear soon they will be Big Box Stored out of existance- a part of Americana that I don't want to see go away.

Last edited by rusty stove; 09-10-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 646 Posts

I absolutely love going to old Hardware Stores! There's a few in my area. Some are thriving buisnesses because of good service and dedicated patrons, some are just too stubborn to close. All of them have some VERY cool stuff.
    Thanks, Donk.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah they're all gone in my area. All the hardware and rural general stores.

I miss the days of sitting around drinking coffee and soda or going into the back room and playing pea pool with the old timers who have gone too.

Bushwhacker Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,444 Times in 2,150 Posts

Thanks Love The Old Hardware stores, Slowly dying. I remember The Large jars with pickled eggs, pigs feet. The Smells and If the They did not have it You did no t need it.
    Thanks for the Post rusty stove.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mainewoods For This Useful Post:

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,096 Times in 3,480 Posts

Where is this gem at!
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,613 Times in 1,980 Posts

My Mom had given me a gift certificate to Sears for Christmas. Earlier today I walked into my local Sears to see about getting a table top belt sander. I had seen them in there a year or so ago. The lady working the counter looked at me like she didn't know what I was looking for, and kind of walked by the power tools looking at me like she knew this was power tools, and was hoping I would see what I needed. They did not have what I was wanting, and she didn't have a clue what I was looking for, nor did she have any idea of what products her store had. I wish I had one of those quality stores still around here.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redmech For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,613 Times in 1,980 Posts

Love the old man sitting off to the side in one of the pics. Priceless
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters.

Bushmaster Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,521 Times in 4,050 Posts

That's awesome. I remember a few stores like that growing up, but they are all gone now...
    http://www.facebook.com/mpknives

MP Knives Sub Forum
    My YouTube
    http://mpknives.com

"So many of our natural instincts are smothered by society, and much of our daily lives are directed by false goals, dictated to us by others. Even in this day and age, with our sophisticated technology and developed culture, it must still be important, just occasionally, to find a wild place." ~Guy Grieve "Call of the wild: My Escape to Alaska"

Elder
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,571 Times in 2,771 Posts

We have a few around here like that. Two at least, that I know of. Both are overpriced but that is the nature of the beast. I like to buy from them whenever I can afford to...even if they are high priced.
    Support your local business, folks! Else, there won't be such a thing as small business ten years from now. At least...not legal, taxpaying ones

PMZ

Thanks

The old hardware store with the creaky old wood floor. Always the old guy there that knows where to find that one obscure part on the top shelf in the last isle that has been there for forty years. Fair price and friendly service. Big box can never replace that personal service.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kentuckycamper For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast