Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My small town Hardware store

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hkgonra View Post
    yep- thats it- I think one of the youngins set it up for him. He is a good old guy- he is getting up there in years- i'm sure he has a ton of great stories- just has a hard time catchin his breath. There is a wall in the back with old draw knives, various other old tools like a coal mine pick and such that are to look at but not for sale. I saw some wind up Timex alarm clocks that probably havent been sold in decades still new in the box gathering coal dust.
    There are old yellowed plastic bottles of Hoppes gun oil in there that have probably been there since the 70's. Like several previous in this thread have said- this takes me back to trips with my dad and granddad.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scallop View Post
    I know that store well, I live in Pickerington, just one town over from Reynoldsburg. We used to have a great hardware store here too but it was "boxed" out many years ago. Replaced by a Sears. No personality, Nobody knows their rear from a hole in the ground and a distinct lack of customer service.
    Hello Picktown- yep- right off Lancaster Ave as headed to 256.
    You might appreciate this story- a few years back during one of those
    March heavy wet snow storms, everyone was flocking to the Big Chain stores to try to find snow shovels- to no avail because they were all sold out.
    The old craftsman one I had broke- I drove over there and bought a steel one- heavy- but it will outlast me.

Thanks

Closest thing I know of are True Value and Ace. I'll take them any day over the big box stores, even if I have to pay a little more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OddTheViking View Post
    Closest thing I know of are True Value and Ace. I'll take them any day over the big box stores, even if I have to pay a little more.
    I agree but they still sell Chinese tools. I can even buy an American made axe there.

Scout
    Thanks

I work for a local small town feed/seed hardware store. It has been owned by the same family for over 80 years. We sell a little bit of everything. like the store pictured, We heat it with a wood stove and the place has alot of character and history to it that the big box stores will never duplicate. Everyone who works there is from the Town and our Customers are like friends. We treat everyone the same whether it is a 1000 dollar order or a 1.00 order. Our Customers are appreciated by us! I will always try my best to support any local independant store whenever possible. Once they are gone they ain't comming back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to brian For This Useful Post:

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,091 Times in 4,525 Posts

we've got one left like that, up in Leesville, LA... it's called "Imperial Hardware"... you can still get one wheelbarrow handle, nails by the pound, cast iron anything, hand pumps, all kinds of stuff... comes complete with one friendly old guy, one grouchy old guy in a chair by the space heater, and a store cat who lays wherever he wants to. love going in there!
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

We have a few scattered out here in Iowa. They are the place to go when you want a good old quality tool. Often the ones with some of the old tools realy are not priced to bad, they just put what is close to current price on the older tool, which is much better quality.

Scout
    Thanks

We still have several of those small town hardware stores around this area. Make me want to go out and visit a few

Tracker
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckycamper View Post
    The old hardware store with the creaky old wood floor. Always the old guy there that knows where to find that one obscure part on the top shelf in the last isle that has been there for forty years. Fair price and friendly service. Big box can never replace that personal service.

Very well said! I miss these treasures as well. The last one to close had everything in it. The only hardware store the whole family did not mind going too!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckycamper View Post
    The old hardware store with the creaky old wood floor. Always the old guy there that knows where to find that one obscure part on the top shelf in the last isle that has been there for forty years. Fair price and friendly service. Big box can never replace that personal service.
    haha you described my local hardware store perfect! love going in there the "old man" still calls me kid nicest guy ever in there

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast