Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My small town Hardware store

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rusty stove View Post
    Picked up a hand powered 5" grinder that mounts to a table/bench at the local Hardware store. This store has been in business since around 1872.
    An old brick building with oak plank floors, a pot belly stove and some things that havent been made in probaly 50 years or more. The only place I know of that sells a cider press- there is a Peavey and cane poles- cast iron skillets and stuff that used to be made in the USA with handwritten price tags covered with dust. I wish there were more places like it- If you have any gems like this please share because I fear soon they will be Big Box Stored out of existance- a part of Americana that I don't want to see go away.

I just found an old stove like that today for $40! Gonna rebuild it and sell it hopefully. Very cool!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,542 Times in 1,215 Posts

Just wanted to share- this hardware store closed this month- after 141 years in business...thanks fer lookin'

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...sing-time.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9497245...7635388380218/
    Last edited by rusty stove; 09-10-2013 at 01:25 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty stove For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Love it. I remember when i was growing up we had one by our old Red and White store it closed down because of Lowes but they are opening a new one soon Can't WAIT. you can find some of the coolest things in them mom and pops hardware stores.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip Gooch For This Useful Post:

axology student Supporter RavenLoon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 788 Posts

That's too bad. At least they lasted longer than most.
    No matter where you go, there you are

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RavenLoon For This Useful Post:

Grey Wolf Ranger Supporter Wolf410's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 625 Posts
    Items for Sale

We have maybe two of those left near me, one has had to branch more out into lawn and yard stuff rather than hardware but the other was pretty good for a while, sadly when he started only carrying Chinese axe and tool handles I kinda stopped going in there...sorry to hear that you losing yours brother
    Last edited by Wolf410; 09-10-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    -Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien
    -Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
    MACHETE MAFIA -- AXE MOB-- TURLEY CLUB #30
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolf41001

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf410 For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,892 Times in 1,289 Posts

We had one in my hometown - 4th generation as I recall. There wa a farm store a couple of towns over that sold hardware and animal feed. My dad and I would stop there every so often. The kids liked to play around the hay bales on the ground floor. Upstairs was the pot-belly stove, a few chairs and a cracker barrel. These were the round type you could break in half like a clamshell. They sold by the pound but you could grab one without charge.

My hometown also had a Five & Dime, two, actually, where there were things you could actually buy for a nickle when I was a boy. There was a Woolworths and the family owned "little store". The little store had shelves stacked 10' high with roller ladders on each side. You got stuff off the middle shelf with the long-handle clamps. Great places.

Despite all of the electronics and fancy gadgets our culture isn't getting bland - it IS bland. To compare how things used to be I suggest reading just about any book by Eric Sloane. For instance, when churches had real bells and a sexton to ring them do you know the difference between tolling, ringing and pealing?
    Last edited by rdec; 09-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rdec For This Useful Post:

Overkill is underrated Supporter Fat Old Man's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,640 Times in 989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rusty stove View Post
    Picked up a hand powered 5" grinder that mounts to a table/bench at the local Hardware store. This store has been in business since around 1872.
    An old brick building with oak plank floors, a pot belly stove and some things that havent been made in probaly 50 years or more. The only place I know of that sells a cider press- there is a Peavey and cane poles- cast iron skillets and stuff that used to be made in the USA with handwritten price tags covered with dust. I wish there were more places like it- If you have any gems like this please share because I fear soon they will be Big Box Stored out of existance- a part of Americana that I don't want to see go away.

Please post locations of these stores!!!
    "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. - Frederick Douglass, circa August 1857

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Old Man For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donk View Post
    I absolutely love going to old Hardware Stores! There's a few in my area. Some are thriving buisnesses because of good service and dedicated patrons, some are just too stubborn to close. All of them have some VERY cool stuff.
    Thanks, Donk.
    We've got one. It's doing ok under new owners (about 5 yrs or so), because it does things better than the big box. Now, the previous owners almost ran it into the ground, because they were rude, and didn't have the wierd little things that no one else has (and didn't have a lot of the things commonly needed as well).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to perdidochas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,542 Times in 1,215 Posts

7345 E Main St Reynoldsburg, OH 43068

Scout Supporter
    Thanks

There was a True Value store nearby when I was a kid Dad used to pickup kerosene for the heaters every Friday. We had a Woolsworth's too, funny how I used to suddenly get hungry every time I stepped foot in the door and saw the long diner table. Both stores relocated after three box stores came to town, and they both closed shop not long after that.
    The Old Forge Hardware, though, looks just like the pictures from the OP.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast