Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gransfors quality?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,002 Times in 2,182 Posts

It honestly looks like it has been used and put back on the shelf to sell.

Scout
    Thanks

i have a wildlife hatchet made by MM. when i bought it, i noticed the poll had a line that appeared to be where the head was forged together. i was worried about it, but after use it is just fine, i hammer wood stakes in all the time.

i also use my hatchet to split dry seasoned wood all the time, pine-oak/hickory. i saw it with a saw and split it with the hatchet. i have even cut up and processed fallen seasoned oak with only my scandanavian forest axe.

to me an axe excels at felling and assisting in processing a green tree, but i would not spend so much money on a tool that wont do everything i need it to do if it is all i have. that is why i buy GB, because i trust them to do everything i put them up to. from felling live/dead trees, to shelter building, wood processing, tool building, etc, etc, etc.

i also dont understand why you would buy a $120ish hatchet when you were not satisfied by it at the store, if i needed a hatchet for a weekend and didnt like the $120 one, i would have gone to walmart and bought a $10 one.

GB are not going to be perfect, they are not machined parts, stamped to spec, they are all hand made, hand forged, and therefore will always have some defects, however minor. that is part of the joy.

CJ60

I want to THANK the OP for this post, and slightly saddened at how a few GB Groupies posted un useful posts...
    I want a GB axe someday because they are handmade and NOT perfect, but the pics show a very sloppy example of an axe with the reputation and following that GB has... Yeah, he didn't have to buy it, and I wouldn't have, but may he who has never had buyer remorse cast the first stone!
    I have read mostly glorious reviews of GB, Wetterlings, etc., and I appreciate when people buy pricey items, are confused and unhappy, and post as he did. It makes me a little more cautious and realistic when it comes to my shopping. And I also thought it was a tasteful review, albeit negative.
    Reviews by "Brand Groupies" have never done me well, because no matter what crap the company may put out (and MANY companies have gone from grand to crap products), they will fawn and boast about them.. That does me no good...
    Thanks for the review, hope you get it worked out!

Thanks

If it was mine I would return it. Hand forged or not I would not accept an uneven grind that bad or an unfinished poll. I have used chinese axes with a better grind than that. That looks like a Monday morning or Friday afternoon job. Send those same pictures to their warranty department and I bet they will make it right. Looks like you got a lemon...as the saying goes "even monkeys fall out of trees sometimes"

Da Merchant of dirt. Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,238 Times in 2,345 Posts

If its sharp on one end, dull on the other, and the head stays on when you use it....I would say you got a decent woodworking tool. JMO
    Something witty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJ60 View Post
    I want to THANK the OP for this post, and slightly saddened at how a few GB Groupies posted un useful posts...
    I want a GB axe someday because they are handmade and NOT perfect, but the pics show a very sloppy example of an axe with the reputation and following that GB has... Yeah, he didn't have to buy it, and I wouldn't have, but may he who has never had buyer remorse cast the first stone!
    I have read mostly glorious reviews of GB, Wetterlings, etc., and I appreciate when people buy pricey items, are confused and unhappy, and post as he did. It makes me a little more cautious and realistic when it comes to my shopping. And I also thought it was a tasteful review, albeit negative.
    Reviews by "Brand Groupies" have never done me well, because no matter what crap the company may put out (and MANY companies have gone from grand to crap products), they will fawn and boast about them.. That does me no good...
    Thanks for the review, hope you get it worked out!
    First off... No post is un useful, it's just an opinion. That's what a forum is, a gathering of information and opinions.

That being said, I don't own nor will ever own one of the newer GB axes. I have a very old double bit. The newer ones have too thin of a bit for the hardwoods we have here in Louisiana. I'm no "brand groupie" nor will I ever be one. Back in the day before people got spoiled and lazy on CS and QC, if you had no choice but to buy something that had minor defects, and most times you had to, like that you just fixed it yourself. A file costs 12.00 and a new haft costs 10.In fact, 40-50 years ago, most higher dollar axes did NOT come with a final grind, you had to finalize it yourself which in my opinion is better. I have an old arvika ax, it's a Swedish ax and still has never been sharpened and finalized in over 50 years from the factory. So with that being said, I would have never bought it in the first place and I agree with who said to just buy an el cheapo ax and wait for what you really want. Just be glad we have CS and QC these days. I would just send it back to the factory. Not the store, the factory. They will send you a brand new ax with no imperfections.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 499 Posts

To me, that GB hatchet would be unacceptable.

I have old Plumb and Mann Edge Co. axes, and Plumb and Estwing hatchets, all made years ago and have performed perfectly for me.

If I were to buy an axe today, I'd buy a Council Tools forged axe, made in the good ol' USA. The one below in the link would be with me in camp. One of my hunting/camping buddies has one and it is a fine chopper out in the mountains.

http://www.counciltool.com/product.a...t&item=175HB28

There are several reviews of Council axes on You Tube.

EDIT: I'd also buy the sheath that is made for it.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 03-05-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Tracker
    Thanks

I love GB.

I have 3 of their axes, but I bought them when they were half the price they are now.

I've been pretty pleased with all mine but that bit you posted a pic of looks effed up.

I wouldn't be super picky about grain orientation I don't think it makes a big difference unless it's extreme but that crooked bit would make me return it.

The only problems I have had with any of mine is my hunters had a very thin edge and had some microchips when I first used it and after I touched it up it's been fine.

I broke about 1/2" off the beard of a mini and they replaced it.

For what they charge (cost of a custom) I'd want it to be pretty much perfect.

However custom's are often less perfect than a GB.

WILDEROXEN Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,549 Times in 4,292 Posts

Its not a Shuttle part.Ive got alot of work done over the years with alot worse than that.The last ones I was Given a Barco FSS and my SAW Wildlife hatchet work great I never even really looked at em just the the aftermath Thats just me though.
    I guess get your money back and get a Racing Axe made or get a Gerber...I dont know what to tell you
    Lots of proof in the pages Here Its(GB) a Great Company and many satisfied hard Users.

M/BK
    http://www.youtube.com/user/OperationalExtras http://operationalextras.wordpress.com/
    LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
    Tracker Pack # 1/Flint Tracker Pack #1

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,084 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Black View Post
    Its not a Shuttle part.Ive got alot of work done over the years with alot worse than that.The last ones I was Given a Barco FSS and my SAW Wildlife hatchet work great I never even really looked at em just the the aftermath Thats just me though.
    I guess get your money back and get a Racing Axe made or get a Gerber...I dont know what to tell you
    Lots of proof in the pages Here Its(GB) a Great Company and many satisfied hard Users.

M/BK
    The only problem I have with any of my axes, including my GB's are they outlast me....I run out of damn wind. Would that racing axe improve that, or would it smoke me that much quicker, just wondering.

The Proud Father of a Proud Soldier...GO ARMY !
    You call me an infidel like it's a bad thing.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast