Thread: GPS

Thanks

Default GPS

Looking at the Garmin Etrex Geocach. Anyone ever use these?

JP

Scout
    Thanks

I haven't used that particular model, but anything made by garmin (except the very cheapest, black and white model) is pretty intuitive and reliable. Etrex are my favorite gps units for the money.

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 653 Posts

I have 2 garmin etrex units and would go with something else. My first yellow etrex basic runs strong my newer silver etrex vista SUCKS display is flaky acquesition is slow accuracy is poor. I would look at magellans or other brands as Garmins customer service is crap! Even for the car nav units Cust Serv is BS I won't go into the dealings I've had around my units but I am NO LONGER a garmin fan!

Thanks

I like my garmin etrex. I've had it for about 4 years...I think.

Tracker
    Thanks

I have a blue etrex I got quite a few years ago, it just has black and white screen. The one I got comes with an old serial port connector to hook it up to a computer to download maps and cords. I've never used this feature as most computers don't have this port anymore. I would say that the one I have is no good for geocaching. It is good for me for hunting, marking camp, where I downed an elk, tell me where I've been and where I'm at, but for geocaching it isn't a very good option. There are different etrex models that might be better.

Thanks

i have used it but didnt like it for geocaching. its not a bad model and is pretty accurate. i just got spoiled by using model that were far more advanced.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I've had an etrex before it was a good GPS but I have upgraded to a Garmin with an external antenna and it is a lot more accurate and I can pick up more satellite a lot faster even on an overcast day or under tree cover. An external antenna works a lot better than the built in attenna does.