Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye Bear Grylls!

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

I like him, not the show though. T.V. can make anyone look stupid imho.

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,711 Times in 2,283 Posts
    Items for Sale

Love or hate the guy. He is very big into the scouts in the UK and got kids off their assess.

Discovery had plenty to do with what he did on tv.

Real survival is boring and sucks. That doesn't bring in viewers.
    It Don't matter where I'm at cause right now I sure ain't here.
    Seek the Eagles, not the Parrots....
    The answer you seek can only be observed in the Cookie jar bottom Young one, Ask the cookies, your answer here shall be... So Sayeth the "Book of Black"!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sweeneyguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,428 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vermillion8604 View Post
    That will most likely never happen... Ray doesn't like bear at all and wouldn't be caught dead doing anything with someone who eats crap and drinks pee for money.
    +1 Ray is just on a whole different level than Bear. I've spent hours watching his stuff on YT and he keeps it real. The thing I like best is that he is more along the lines of living in a sustainable way in the "bush," using knowledge and skills to his advantage. This contrasts greatly to Bear (via Discovery Channel) who is all about extreme survival. Although, I think it will be a true judgment of character with regards to Bear's next move...
    "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." -- John Muir

"I think that no two men age at the same rate, or learn equal sums from experience. Some men learn by their years, others simply live through them." -- Louis L'Amour

Scout
    Thanks

Let's hope he doesn't piss away all the money he made.

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,410 Times in 6,476 Posts

Wow, the gurus are dropping like flies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to J For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,662 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeneyguy View Post
    Love or hate the guy. He is very big into the scouts in the UK and got kids off their assess.

Discovery had plenty to do with what he did on tv.

Real survival is boring and sucks. That doesn't bring in viewers.
    Yep.

I don't care for the show, but I'm a bushcraft nerd who spends most of his days hanging around here or out in the woods applying skills. I would actually find it interesting to watch someone break out their PSK to hunker down, build a shelter, signal for rescue etc. Your typical US audience would find that really uneventful and boring.

I'm not a Bear Grylls fan, but I don't think it's necessary to gloat over the end of his contract or wish him ill will, either. I hope he has continued success in future endeavors and I'm grateful for the positives Man vs. Wild and Bear brought. For all its faults, the show got many people interested in survival, primitive skills, bushcraft and the outdoors and as Sweeney mentioned encouraged the growth of Scouting and got kids off the couch and into the woods.
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jloden For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    Wow, the gurus are dropping like flies.
    Who else recently dropped?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Söze View Post
    with 50 millions in my account...i would retire to ...
    Yep, ol' Bear has what is known in show business as "F... You!" money. So now he can't be pushed into doing something he doesn't want to do.

His show was show business entertainment for the masses, who, unlike people on these survival/prepardness sites, hadn't a clue about outdoor "survival. So they watched and were entertained, or at times, repulsed by his "eating habits." Nevertheless, with the format, Bear was very successful.

We see some of the same outlandish exploits in Canterbury/Lundin shows, and the various teeeveee reality "survivor" shows. It's all about "entertainment," not about "Here is the proper way to build a fire," or "Here's the proper way to build a shelter," or "whittle a stick," etc.

I say take it for how it's intended: show business entertainment.

BTW, Bear'll be back in some format or another, count on it.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 03-13-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

OP: "A rep for Discovery tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Due to a continuing contractual dispute with Bear Grylls, Discovery has terminated all current productions with him."
    Sources tell THR, the relationship came to a screeching halt after 37-year-old Grylls refused to participate in two mystery projects he was contracted for."

I never cared for the MvW TV show, too much dramatic BS and things that are just wrong from a real survival viewpoint, but that's mostly because of what the producers and directors required Grylls to do. I don't know much about him personally, but I recall a lot of critical things being posted on Ron Hood's "Hoodswoods" forum, and finally Ron posted a reply to the effect that he knew Grylls personally and respected and admired him for his skills and ability in the wild, and that he could not fault him for finding a way to make a living with the skill set he had.
    Now, it seems, there are limits to what Grylls will do. Good on him. I hope he has success in whatever he does next.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to EdD270 For This Useful Post:

Hardwood Plainsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,933 Times in 4,359 Posts
    Items for Sale

In way I say good for Bear. He has his name out there and can now go about proving he knows what he's talking about. (not saying he does or doesn't know anything)

But, show's like his have done wonders for bring new fresh ideas and people into the bushcraft world. And the more that get interested in the outdoors the better I say.
    Skab Leatherworks Subforum

Blog

Tracker Pack#10

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast