Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USAF Arctic N1-B Mukluks Sizing

Tracker
    Thanks

Default USAF Arctic N1-B Mukluks Sizing

Greetings, I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere in this forum. However, I have a need to feed my brain and I'm hoping you good folk can help me out. I am seeking to purchase a pair of USAF N1-B arctic mukluks and as I understand it, these were issued with two pairs of wool insoles and no liner. I am aware of the existance of the ECW liners (which are about as ergonomic as a cast I am told)however these were apparently issued seperately. My question/s is/are, how true to size do these boots run? Are they sized to accomodate a liner or should one order a size up? I wear a size 10 in a hiking boot and it would appear, depending on who you read, that I am at the cusp of a size large (9-10 US0 versus extra large (11-12 US). Would it be appropriate to size up in anticipation of adding a liner and go with the XL? I know that loose is better when it comes to winter clothing and footwear but while I approve of loose i abhor sloppy. Any of you folk have any insight or input to help me figure it out? Thank You!

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomedic View Post
    Greetings, I am sorry if this question has been asked and answered elsewhere in this forum. However, I have a need to feed my brain and I'm hoping you good folk can help me out. I am seeking to purchase a pair of USAF N1-B arctic mukluks and as I understand it, these were issued with two pairs of wool insoles and no liner. I am aware of the existance of the ECW liners (which are about as ergonomic as a cast I am told)however these were apparently issued seperately. My question/s is/are, how true to size do these boots run? Are they sized to accomodate a liner or should one order a size up? I wear a size 10 in a hiking boot and it would appear, depending on who you read, that I am at the cusp of a size large (9-10 US0 versus extra large (11-12 US). Would it be appropriate to size up in anticipation of adding a liner and go with the XL? I know that loose is better when it comes to winter clothing and footwear but while I approve of loose i abhor sloppy. Any of you folk have any insight or input to help me figure it out? Thank You!
    a good rule of thumb is to size up, especially for winter boots. Gives you room, for movement, and layering. people tend to get cold feet in tighter boots, because their toes cant wiggle around to stay warm.

Tracker
    Thanks

I wear a size 9 boot in Asolos, Danner, La Sportiva. I went with the medium N1-B mukluks with 2 insoles and the white felt liners. They fit good. I think you will be fine with the large size and liners.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 250 Posts

i wear a 10.5,the large fit me well with 1 insole and 1 liner.there is room for i more liner.(the liners are kinda thin)
    i also have an x large pair.with two insoles and 1 liner they are very sloppy even with laces pulled as tight as they go.

Thanks

I don't remember the designation but if these are the green canvas uppers and black rubber bottoms I wear an 11, 10.5 way back then and used to wear the thick GI wool socks and the wool felt liners. If it got colder than those would deal with we broke out the Sorrels or Bunny boots. One nice thing was when it wasn't too cold but just lots of snow we pulled the liners out and wore tennis shoes inside them. Was a lot more comfortable than just the mukluks. We used to be on the flightline on concrete all the time.

Bob

Tracker
    Thanks

Is this the same as whats generally called 'bunny boots', or something else?

Bunny Boots run about 1 size big, sometimes 1.5 sizes big, depending on what you like for socks.

G.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AK Adventurer View Post
    Is this the same as whats generally called 'bunny boots', or something else?

Bunny Boots run about 1 size big, sometimes 1.5 sizes big, depending on what you like for socks.

G.
    The Bunny Boots are also, I believe, reffered to as the Micky Mouse Boots ( I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time) and I do have a pair of those. They work, and are indeed warm. However, I'm looking for something that actually breathes some. The N1-B boots are a rubber soled, sage green canvas boot with a low rand and come up to just below your knee. other than two felt insoles they don't come with insulation. I believe the white wool boot liners of the ECW system and a couple pairs of wool socks were the intended way of actually insulating them. I am intending to use a 9mm felted wool boot liner in them. I've spent too much time in my Mickey Mouse boots and my Muck boots with cold feet in soggy socks if I stop moving. My goal is to move away from the vapor barrier system I ended up with. So far, I think I'm successful. Of course, next winter will be the real test but I have a pair of large N1-Bs now and am waiting patiently for the liners. I took the collective advice of several folks here and their advice regarding sizing seems to have been right on. Thank you all for your help!

Thanks

The Bunny Boots are white, Mickies are black. The Bunnies are rated for colder temps than Mickies but I don't know the specifics.

Thanks

From what I have researched on the N1B, they are issued with a couple of felt footbeds and a double layer woollen blanket liner which is similar too if not the same as the Canadian mukluk liner which are made by Raber

http://www.raberglove.com/products09.html

So the canvas boot as issued is sized for a liner 9mm or more thick, and is meant to wear over one layer of winter sock.
    I believe that the sock system is very important tho and if using a modern sock system you may want to make allowance for the extra sox and go up one size.

I want a pair myself for my next visit.
    An alternative could be the NEOS the insulated or non-insulated depending on what you already own

http://www.overshoe.com/Pages/default.aspx

Tracker
    Thanks

Well something that I know about. The mucalucks are canvas uppers with felt liners. They get wet. The Micky mouse boots or the bunny boots they have a air valve . Are much better. I wore the mickeys for 3 yrs on the flight line in Plattsburgh NY -20 / 30!very common and -70 wind chill. After work I would wipe the sweat out and put them on the radiator to dry for the next day. Plattsburgh is across lake Champlain from Burlington VT. And still have all my toes.
    Last edited by Iaido; 05-03-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast