Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shemaghs and Headcovers

Scout
    Thanks

Default Shemaghs and Headcovers

I'm slowly building my bushcraft kit and I have the essentials like water bottles and other things taken care of.

At the same time I'm also preparing a BDK (Bad Day Kit) or a BOB if you want to call it that. One part of it I know little to nothing about is a head cover or something to keep dust out and filter the air a little bit if there's a dust storm or something.

I've looked at Shemaghs and those neck wrap thingies and I like the multi-functionality of a Shemagh but I don't have any experience with them. I'm looking for some opinions on what to invest in or what I should try, anything is welcome!

Scout
    Thanks

theres a lot of them out there but if you want a good one make sure its a 100% cotton one for the shemaghsa is spent 6 month in the desert last summer and i tell you what those things are your best friend if you have a nice one if you get a cheap poly one you will hate it. i got a few over there and wore them all to death now i have one from rothco that i use for the desert there perfect because you soak them in water in the morning and about lunch time and they keep you cool all day and then they dry out before the night when it gets cold and they keep you warm at night.

bandanas, neck gators, and balaclavas are nice but nothing beats a good shemgha in my opinion

Thanks

I was gifted a shemagh this past christmas from a buddy on here. That thing has become my best friend down here in Georgia in the winter and spring so far.

I used it as a head covering like a beanie in the winter, just found some plans on wrapping one and it kept my bald head quite warm. Also it works well in the garden, we have alot of pollen here in the south so it keeps it from kicking up my asthma as a mouth/nose cover.

You can use them for all sorts of things and as Osteth said, make sure it is cotton or if you can find a wool type shemagh then that is even better. My cotton one has not shrunk or had any other issues to speak of. I probably use mine more for daily uses and fishing since its that time of year now.

Edit: It has also replaced my bandanna, granted its much larger but that serves it well, many more uses with it being much larger.

-Brandon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,014 Times in 1,798 Posts

I bought a shemaugh from Bushcraft Outfitters:

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/Clothing_c21.htm

But I also use bandanas. There aren't many dust/sand storms where I usually am, so that's a nonissue and I have other gear to keep my head warm. Sometimes it's just personal preference, how you mix particular items into a kit and other variables like that, which can guide choices.

Scout
    Thanks

I live on the edge of the Chihuahuan desert. I always carry a shemagh.

Guide
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mind!)
    Thanks

Good info. I was going to ask a similar question. Thinking of getting one, but not really familiar with how they are used, just that other desert-dwellers like them a lot.

Would like to hear (read?) how folks use them. As I live in the Mojave, I can sure see the dust thing. Wetting them makes sense too in the heat.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I use them here in humid Florida they work a lot better than a hat. I also made several smaller ones, I still have the coverage for my face & head but not the full size of my regular Shemags. I have several of both.

Recluse at Heart Supporter PMSteve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,898 Times in 1,860 Posts

I have a shemagh and I use it for a lot of different purposes.

It's handier than just a normal sized bandana (22x22")

Face and head cover (Wet or dry depending on the temps)
    Pot holder
    Pillow in my hammock with clothes wraped inside
    Sun shade
    Dish cloth / Washcloth
    Pack sling for carrying foraged items bandolier-style
    Belt / Waist wrap
    Blindfold for prisoners
    Bandage
    Backdrop for cool photos:
    Ula's Liver Transplant Fund: http://gfwd.at/1nH6mjd

For a Laugh, Check out my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

Thanks

Rothco makes cheap shemaghs. I have an OD one and lurv it. Highly recommended. Soak it to keep cool.

I think you mean Buffs by 'neck wrap thingies.'

I've got several merino and polyester ones and can't live without them. If anything at least get one merino one-- you wont regret it.

Far as cold weather goes, it depends on how cold it gets where you're at.

Here, I like to rotate between & combine a merino buff, usgi 'watch cap,' and usgi wool scarf.

Hot weather, a poly buff and baseball hat works great for me.

For any weather, I love to have sunglasses as well as safety glasses. (safety glasses for bushwhacking etc)

Last edited by Colin; 03-17-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Bushmaster Supporter AlteredMentalStatus's Avatar
    Thanks

have three, like 'em

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast