Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage .22/.410 combo gun

Scout
    Thanks

Default Savage .22/.410 combo gun

I have an opportunity to purchase a Savage Combination gun in .22/410. They are asking $350. From the pictures it looks to be in good shape. Is this a good price? Does anyone have one of these firearms and are they a good guns? They do not seem to be very common and may have some collectors value, although I will be taking it squirrel hunting if I purchase it.

Thanks

I think that's reasonable. I'll usually check the gun auction sites to get an idea of what a given used firearm is going for. But you'll have hard time finding a better, more versatile squirrel gun than that! Good luck and post pics when you get it.
    -kk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 856 Posts

I'd buy it just as a hunting gun....Savage makes superb firearms and you can have that much or close to that much out in just a good bolt action .22 rifle. Of course, I kinda gotta thing for the .22/410, too...So I may be biased...

Thanks

Some versions of the model 24 had a kind of plastic stock and not an actual wooden stock. I would double check that since it would be a deal breaker for me. But 350 for a model 24 in good condition is a great price IMO. The perfect "bushcrafty" gun and a great game getter.

Scout
    Thanks

My father had one and he referred to it as his "meat gun". It was the only gun he used for squirrel hunting. He used it religiously for rabbit hunting; took seven pheasant in one season. My uncle (father's brother) had one also. I have been looking for one myself. My brother got my father's gun when my father passed away. If you get the gun, you will never be sorry that you did, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks

Great price! Grab it. I recently purchased the same gun, in .22/ 20 gauge, and paid $410plus shipping and transfer fee. After checking on gunbroker.com for some time, it was the best deal I could find. So, $350 is a great price, if the gun is in good shape. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,969 Times in 887 Posts

Just picked up a M24c (short campers model, w/ ammo storage in the wood stock) for $350 at a show last Sunday..... .22 over 20 ga.

They are getting hard to find, so if I see one in good shape and at a good price i'll most likely buy it.
    My advice is "go for it"

rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 Times in 833 Posts

I have the 22/20 gauge 24c camper model and a 24V in 223/20 gauge. They are neat guns. The rifles shoot pretty well. The shotgun barrel will shoot low on most of these combos. If you practice with it you will learn to deal with that. One that shoots both barrels to the same point of aim are rare in these guns but if you sight in for the rifle barrel and learn how the shotgun shoots, they are ok. Both of mine only require a bit of vertical compensation without any windage adjustment.

That sounds like a good price as these guns have gone way up in price over the last few years. Most in good condition are running in the $400-$500 range, a bit more for the centerfire combos. I expect they may continue to go up like the M6 combo has. The guns with the barrel selector on the hammer are preferable to the side mounted selector which I have heard is prone to breaking.

The iron sights are a little rough but usable. Many users have had a Williams 5D peep sight mounted. I may do this to my 22/20 combo in the future.

The early 22/410 combos had both barrels attached to each other all the way down the length and are supposed to be more accurate that the later models with barrels only held by the barrel band but that is just what I have read.

Another issue is that as the barrels heat up you may get some change in impact or vertical stringing that occurs as one barrel heats up and is pulled off by the cooler barrel.
    Not as much of a problem with the 22 as with centerfire chamberings. Not a problem for hunting where you would only be shooting a few times and having the barrels cool between shots.

Buy it and see how you like it. You would have no problem reselling it if it is not to your taste.

My choice of the best model if you can only have one is the 24C camper. It is a very handy size with 20" vs 24" barrels and a nice straight English stock that has ammo storage in it. I believe the 20 gauge is more versatile than the 410 but the 22/410 combo is still good.

Some parts are still available for these guns from Numrich and other sources if needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,482 Times in 8,827 Posts

The price is good if it is in good condition. Get it, you won't regret it.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

Thanks

I have on in 22/410, and I love it. I call it my bunny gun. Very versatile, excellent meat-getter. The only bad thing I can say is that the trigger is a little heavy (but not awful) when using the 22 barrel. It's a great gun and I recommend it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast