Thread: Sport Hero

TANSTAAFL Supporter werewolf won's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,543 Times in 1,481 Posts

Default Sport Hero

Seeing the thread for the Canadian Hopper got me thinking to the first fly my Dad ever purchased for me. It was a hopper pattern known as Joes Hopper. It was designed by Joe Brooks whos history Ive quoted below. I like old stuff, and that extends to flies. My box still contains Joes Hopper and his shrimp and Blondes in numerous sizes and colors.
    I never met Brooks, but Id still call him my favorite (hero worship type) fisherman. Ive met a few, Williams, Gartside, Wulff (Joan and Lee), Kreh etc. Kreh is an A-hole, the rest I found quite pleasant to talk to or fish with.

Joe Brooks was one of the world's premier fly anglers. He and his wife Mary, fished New Zealand, Argentina, Yugoslavia, England, Scotland, British Columbia, Newfoundland and most places in the world fighting fish are found. His writing helped popularize many previously unknown waters. He was the fishing editor of Outdoor Life magazine, and was featured on the ABC American Sportsman TV series.
    Trout Fishing published in 1972 lists quite a variety of subject matter for his earlier books:
    Complete Book of Fly Fishing
    Complete Guide to Fishing Across North America
    A World of Fishing
    Saltwater Game Fishing
    Complete Illustrated Guide to Casting
    Bass Bug Fishing
    Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Bermuda Fishing
    Greatest Fishing
    His best known flies are probably the "Blond" dry fly series, which were created for rough western US waters. He was however, an avid saltwater angler!
    He pioneered fly fishing for striped bass, bonefish, permit, and other saltwater species, and in 1948 took a record 29-pound 6-ounce striper on a popping bug.

Wolf
    "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" -- Dave Johnston 5/18/1980

Thanks

ha that is my favorite hopper pattern, my favorite fisherman and complete book of flyfishing is my bible. im digging that out today. those joes hoppers kill up here in the lakes for panfish and trout, i even caught my only alpine lake smallmouth on one. good post

Thanks

That's pretty harsh about Lefty
    He'll make a joke at your expense, but he's just joshin'
    I happen to like him a lot. He does a program at our club about every other year

Thanks

I wouldn't offend true fly fisherman by even calling myself a beginner, but I have dabbled over the years and enjoy it. When I was a kid I remember reading about it and seeing some flies and decided to tie my own. Got some thread from my mom's sewing box, a piece of red yarn and a bit of feather I found outside, slapped them all on a hook and think I sealed the threads with contact cement or something like that haha. Took it down to the creek to see what happened. Wasn't I shocked to start catching a whole mess of little chubs and I think one tiny brook trout. Not enough meat on any of them combined to feed a kitten but it was one proud afternoon using something I made myself. I really admire the art of those masters and smile whenever I think about my first attempt

TANSTAAFL Supporter werewolf won's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,543 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PaulN View Post
    That's pretty harsh about Lefty
    He'll make a joke at your expense, but he's just joshin'
    I happen to like him a lot. He does a program at our club about every other year
    Certainly not taking anything away from his casting skills; and Im glad you like him. Kreh won't even make eye contact with me, and if he were a younger man Id have removed his teeth for him for a comment he leveled at me. Joke or not somethings you dare not say aloud. He crossed a line with me that cannot ever be uncrossed

Wolf
    Last edited by werewolf won; 03-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" -- Dave Johnston 5/18/1980