Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: THE OLD Adahy's Trading Post welcome page

Thanks
    Thanked 30,363 Times in 4,073 Posts
    Items for Sale

Default THE OLD Adahy's Trading Post welcome page

As most of you know, my Name is Alex. If you've seen the threads I've penned then you know I have an obsession with photography, music, and especially primitive woodworking. I've become obsessed with carving anything relating to 'treen'

Every item I create is carved one at a time. I really dislike power tools, and try to avoid them at all costs. With all the requests, I've been frantically trying to improve my skills and speed up the carving process so I don't have people waiting and wondering when I'll ship my work.
    All of my art is 100% hand carved, and I take pride that I stand on a carpet of wood shavings everyday. Each wood chip had a lot of thought and focus before it lay rest. So when you drink from one of my kuksas, I hope you enjoy the hand made goodness which is evident in it's tool marked texture.

Since Im working with natural materials I want to remind everyone that when you order something, I can only give a rough estimate. Sometimes my work dries in 4 days, sometimes 6 weeks. The seasons, humidity, and the kuksa's mood all have a lot to do with how these dry.
    So if I give you an estimate and it takes me a little bit longer than expected on a custom order, just remember that wood is for it's entire lifespan absorbing water, and expelling water everyday. It's alive even after it is dead, so patience is all part of the process.

I have a handful of 'models' or design styles that I enjoy carving. Most are of Scandinavian origin, but I have been branching out into different cultures' historical carvings. If you have a request for something different let me know and we'll work something out.
    Keep in mind that most custom projects might require me to have a couple tries at it, and some might involve a lot more work than my usual kuksa which may bring the cost up a small amount. If you can draw it, I can most likely carve it.

I know that everyone now knows me for my kuksas, I will also be carving spoons, bowls, wood spirits, etc. I'm always up for a challenge to learn something new to carve. This isn't going to be the usual vendor sub-forum either. Expect surprises. I may already have some tricks up my sleeves!

Thank you everyone for reading this and especially for all the kind words over the last year. I wouldn't have ever imagined I'd be opening shop along with the big boys here at BCUSA and I blame [and thank again] all of you bushfolk who said "Wow.. you should open a vendor forum here?!?!? "
    A long time from now when I'm an old mountain man with aching hands, I'll know exactly who to hold responsible!

Oh and I guess I should talk about a warranty hereÖ
    I've never had my kuksas fail under any camp conditions. These kuksas will stand up to any season or weather just like the trees they were made from. I even use mine when editing photos or writing my posts here at the computer. I've dipped them right into boiling coffee, left them hanging from my cooking rigs near the camp fire, dropped them, stood on them, banged them to make music, they're tough. [This can all be witnessed by my many posts through the last year or so. Now I wouldn't suggest doing any of these, because I can't exactly guarantee mother nature. However, I really believe that they will not fail if treated like any other tool you bring into the bush. Would you leave your axe near hot coals? Would you put your axe in the dishwasher? Would you leave your axe in the rain? Would you pack your BCUSA tarp in storage if it were drenched? If your kuksa was treated that way, it probably wouldn't be fair to replace it. If you were drinking hot coffee (just barely cool enough to drink) and my cup splitÖ I'd of course replace or repair in the traditional method without hesitation. Pine pitch or birch tar would be the most natural and period authentic way. Please remember that most of my carving is done with a razor sharp axe, and with strange bent knives, which require one not to rush carving for safety reasons. With that said, can I really afford to replace any that failed under neglect?? Like Matt P of MP KNIVES said about his blades, "You'll have to try to break one."

If you're interested in a carving head to this thread.

Here is a film of the process. [play it in 1080 for visual perfection]

I now and basing all operations at my new website TheAXEisBoldasLove.com I try to post everything from the blog on this forum, but sometimes I add extra goodies to that place and forget to share them here. Check it out

Also a small note: All images posted to my sub-forum I own the copyright to unless otherwise noted. My Owl/Kuksa Logo was illustrated by my cousin Kevin also known as Holmes here.
    Last edited by Adahy; 01-06-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My Website The Axe is Bold as Love
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Adahy For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 938 Posts

Congrats!
    "It is one of the blessings of wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." --Kephart

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    Congrats!
    I'm kind of a bad driver learning how to moderate. Glad you found it! First post on my sub-forum!

Thanks my friend!
    Visit my Vendor Sub-forum Hudson Valley Handcrafts - Home of the hand carved KUKSA and other greenwood axe art
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    I will not give away my hard-earned skills to a machine. Itís a bit like robbery with violence, for (machines are) not only intended to diminish my bank balance, but also to steal my power.
    -John Brown

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,231 Times in 956 Posts

Congrats! I am looking very forward to this. You have a talent and this is a great way to share!
    Wayne
    Axe Mob Founder
    Axe Mob Group: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/group.php?groupid=94
    BushClass Basic Certified....Old Geezer Certified
    Turley Club Member #28....Turley Whelen #3

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by KA-BAR USMC View Post
    Congrats! I am looking very forward to this. You have a talent and this is a great way to share!
    Thanks KA-Bar!

I'm looking forward to see what this will bring. It's not only carvings, but photography and some other tricks up my sleeves

Keep your eyes peeled...
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Guide
    Thanks

CHA-CHING!!! Fantastic to see your work come full-circle and that you have made the leap!

You worked hard to get to where you are and your work represents the quality efforts you put forth, no need to thank me. May your days be full of inspiration, continued success and pleasure friend.

P.S. your logo would look really neat "wood burned" into a large piece of Birch bark....
    Last edited by Bucketosudz; 04-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,556 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Items for Sale

Congrats on your subforum from a fellow carver!
    sell away...want to see them Oh..yeah, I have been looking at all of them already; lol.
    good going
    ken
    Axe Mob Member
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ghosthonda

Thanks

Im glad you took the leap, congrats! It will be fun to see what you have in store for this space.

Thanks
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketosudz View Post
    CHA-CHING!!! Fantastic to see your work come full-circle and that you have made the leap!

You worked hard to get to where you are and your work represents the quality efforts you put forth, no need to thank me. May your days be full of inspiration, continued success and pleasure friend.

P.S. your logo would look really neat "wood burned" into a large piece of Birch bark....
    Well, thank you my carving brother! That's just... That's just really nice to say. It's kind of a surreal feeling right now. Hasn't fully set in.

Had to thank you of course. You were I think the first to promote that idea and it really struck me since you're such a talented guy and there is such a high demand and value for your art.

I eventually would love to brand that on the bottom of my kuksas. I have another one drawn too. I'll post that later. So many things to learn and I already have a monster list of kuksas to make.

Glad to be part of the pit with ya
    My facebook page
    My Youtube Page
    -John Brown

Thanks
    Thanked 3,260 Times in 1,512 Posts

right on.. cobgrats on the forum.. i would love to check out one of your kuksa's one of these days..

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast