Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxpedition vs Condor

Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 801 Posts

Default Maxpedition vs Condor

Hello,
    I own one of each and the Maxpedition (Remora + Janus Extension pocket + pocket organizer) and a Condor Compact Modular Assault. They both look very good but it seems like Maxpedition has a better marketing dept.
    I'd like to hear opinions on both brands.
    Thanks in advance.
    Martin

Proud Pennsylvanian! Supporter Bill Cox's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,006 Times in 1,032 Posts

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31223

That should be a good start. Both are good quality, and widely used by many members here, I doubt you would be disappointed by either.

Thanks Bill
    Domari Nolo
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon
    Pa Bushcraft - www.youtube.com/pabushcraft
    BCUSA Bushcraft Area Database http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70617

Bushmaster
    Thanks

well, it's just my opinion....but maxped's stuff is some kinda better than just marketing over condor.

I have had 8-10 maxped packs probably - still have a couple jumbo's around....while they aren't my favorite pack brand...they have never failed me.

a condor backpack has had a strap become all but worthless (I literally tied it together to get home) and a few of the their smaller packs have had some zippers get stuck and threads come undone from not being taped.

I'd say Maxped is a good "upper middle" of the pack world - quality wise....but not a level I feel comfy with (just me) and that condor is somewhere below that.....

It's sorta like knives I guess...once I got a taste of the Eagle / TT / ATS / Kifaru / Tad quality....and having had pack failures....I just gravitate towards the better quality and just use less of 'em. (just me, of course)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 Times in 495 Posts

Maxpedition construction techniques are top-tier, right up there with MILSPEC construction done by experienced DoD field equipment contractors like Specialty Defense Systems. For nylon tactical gear the only other civilian manufacturer I've seen that matches Maxpedition quality is Camelbak.

Much of what you pay for with Maxpedition is the quality of the construction. Maxpedition employs some extremely talented sewing machine operators and clearly has some rigid QC in-place. Since most of their production is done in Taiwan I can't imagine what their products would cost if they were made in the US and the cost of US labor was built into these products. (Here's a hint - we all marvel at the cost of products from Frost River and Duluth. Much of the cost built into the offerings from these fine companies is labor cost.)

If you turn a Maxpedition product and a similar Condor product inside out you'll see the difference. Now, Condor gear is not bad - in fact some of the stuff I've looked at has been pretty well put together, but the Maxpedition products are clearly better. Better sewn using heavier materials and exhibiting better design.

Yes, there is a good bit of marketing hype associated with Maxpedition gear, but it's hype backed up by clearly superior products.

Thanks

I'm sure there are some things from Condor I would buy but so far I haven't. I love all the Maxpedition stuff I own and even after buying a Kifaru pack I just picked up a Jumbo EDC for those quick woods walks that I do so many of.

Ski

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 405 Posts

Can't say much for the maxped because I don't own any. Lots of guys love them! There is an obvious reason for this and they seem to be of an upper-middle quality as solo stated.

That said, I have put many miles on my condor urban go bag and it has seen it's share of abuse. Hasn't let me down yet. I hear a lot of nightmarish stories of how bad condor is. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Hope that helps. : )

Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 801 Posts

Wow! I was under the impression Maxpedition was top of the line...so if it's mid point gear. What brand is top of the line?
    I'm trying to make up my mind between the Condor or Maxpedition water bottle pouch.
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Martin Trj; 04-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks

Maxpedition to me is a damn good company, great construction and great durability. If you are wanting anything tougher than that then you should look for mil-spec military packs like an Alice pack or some other military brand.

I have one maxpedition pack, the pygmy falcon II and it has already fallen out of my truck twice in the same day, nothing ripped or tore, no breaks on any hardware. That single incident sold me for life on Maxpedition.

-Brandon

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,162 Times in 3,495 Posts

There is a big difference, but I think Condor is the best of the China clones on the market today.
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

Scout
    Thanks

I agree with the comments on Max. quality being, good, the only downside for me is that everything is smaller than I expect, and has less capacity. Some of the pouches have pockets with no "slack", and you can use either the inner or the outer pocket, but not both, if you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast