Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to cut bottles?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,035 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfmaan View Post
    I have a bottle cutting kit. It must be fairly old. You lay the bottle in it and twirl it around and it cuts the bottom or neck off. PM me and we can discuss more.
    Thanks for the offer but I don't need it. Going with the glass cutter and hot/cold water method. Going to attempt odd angles as well as straight cuts.

Tracker
    Thanks

Forget glass cutters. This is sooo easy. Take a string and wrap it around the bottom of the bottle. Then take a small paint brush and "paint" the string with gasoline. Light the string and when it goes out, dunk the bottle in cold water. It will fracture on the string line. I use this method to make my "Hot caps" for the garden.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scout
    Thanks

Score the bottle with a blade or scriber where you want to cut it.
    Then fill it with hot water & allow the bottle to heat up a bit.
    Then rub quickly around the score with a piece of ice.
    9 times out of 10 it will break cleanly at the score.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bartnmax View Post
    Score the bottle with a blade or scriber where you want to cut it.
    Then fill it with hot water & allow the bottle to heat up a bit.
    Then rub quickly around the score with a piece of ice.
    9 times out of 10 it will break cleanly at the score.
    Can also be done the other way round.
    Score first, cool the bottle either with ice or in a fridge, rotate the bottle over a flame around the score. Presto, cut bottle.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,035 Times in 1,021 Posts

As promised. This isn't all of them I did in one day. I still have more to do, probably this weekend.

Bought a cutter at Hobby Lobby. After scoring the glass I put the portion I wanted to keep in 200 degree water I had in a stock pot on the stove. After the glass heated sufficiently I put it in another stock pot of ice water. More often than not the glass would crack and may or may not break cleanly. Going back to the hot water would finish the job.

If the glass was thin or had bubbles in it it wouldn't break cleanly. Some were salvageable, some weren't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Are you wanting to get the bottom to make arrowheads? Never tried it, but I read that some would put a large nail in the bottle, shake it, and the nail would break the bottom out and leave it round. I would first try it with the proper safety equipment and with a bottle you didn't care if broke or not.
    If that is your goal, to make arrowheads from the bottoms, I have done just that. I use a 20d common, insert it head first in the bottle, put your thumb over the opening and shake it one shake at a time. I usually on have to shake them 5-8 times, but have had to go many more on some bottles. The bottom pops off, but can leave a bit of the side on it. Just bop it off then begin shaping the arrowhead.

If it is for some other purpose, my bad.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

that petrol tip sounds pretty neat! I have tried to cut through a beer bottle once with my dremel tool with the standard cutting disk and it jsut broke the bottle and scared me a little. I will try that tip though, sounds interesting.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Hi every body, also there is an other simple method; pour the some engine oil (also you can apply the black engine oil which is used and not refined) inside the bottle, the surface of oil inside the bottle indicates the cutting edge and then make an iron shaft hot red on a flame then inserting the shaft inside the bottle and you will see the result.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234