Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hatchet vs. Knife w/ safety lesson(somewhat graphic)

Thanks

I carry my Condor Classic Scout Hatchet it wights a little over one pound with sheath and a Mora or two or three most of the time at least three different sizes I like the feel of the wood handle so I bring the classics #1, #2 and my fav #3 the long blade a lot of fun Almost aslong as my hatchet but if I just have a #2 and my Condor that is about all I need to do all my wood work.
    Last edited by kelly24179; 04-09-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Overkill is underrated Supporter Fat Old Man's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,396 Times in 917 Posts

I'll have to agree with BushTramp and Scottman - Batoning with a hatchet works well and the hammer poll on the back of my old cheapo hatchet makes a great target to beat on.
    "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. - Frederick Douglass, circa August 1857

Thanks

Mora classic #3 and Condor Classic Scout Hatchet
    Attached Images Attached Images

Scout
    Thanks

I read on Ross's review that hatchet (2011 VERSION) splits very well. Do you chop with it at all?

I still want to get some dirt time with a roselli.

The size of wood I end up splitting with my hawks is usually about as thick as the bit extends from the handle. Usually I can split that same size wood with my CS shovel. I'm tempted to pick up one of those 12 oz construction hatchets at the hardware store- they are a more gentle sloping head and would work better Then a traditional hawk for splitting with a baton.
    Last edited by scottman; 04-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Old Man View Post
    I'll have to agree with BushTramp and Scottman - Batoning with a hatchet works well and the hammer poll on the back of my old cheapo hatchet makes a great target to beat on.
    Second that. But you can't baton with a Nessmunk-ish double-bladed hatchet... just pointing that out...

Scout
    Thanks

With the hawks and removable heads, you can stick some wood in the socket and baton that. The CS spike hawk has a much more gentle slope up to socket- still slightly balloons out to the socket- not as good a splitter as an american axe, or a more purposely "wood splitter designed spike". It will still split wood usually about as thick as the bit extends from the handle.

If you have a split started you can just work the bit out of the wood- this is quite easy with the amount of leverage you can get on a hawk handle/hatchet/axe handle. IF the split is wide enough, you can insert a wedge there. The scandinavian axes have a bit that is thickens out quicker then most hawks, so they leave a wider crack.

A polymer felling wedge weighs 3 ozs.

Scout
    Thanks

And here I thought I was strange for batoning a hatchet.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I have a new big knife, its a Becker/Kabar Machax, I found with the little I've used it it batton's pretty well, almost as good as my Gerber hatchet.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,153 Posts

The message for constant caution comes through here clearly. The other day I managed to saw my fingernail in half crossways with a Dremal tool and vacationed at the VA for 4 hours while they xrayed for metal particles and flushed and cleaned the wound. Just one moment of carelessness when I knew I should have put that cable end in a hand vice while cutting taught me a lesson. You can imagine what it's like right now on this keyboard for one who has learned to type using the home row technique and having one of the most used fingers out of commission. (left index by the way)

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Two Bears View Post
    I have a new big knife, its a Becker/Kabar Machax, I found with the little I've used it it batton's pretty well, almost as good as my Gerber hatchet.
    I've found no substitute for mechanical advantage. If you only have to break the bond of straight grain wood a knife is no problem- even a thin knife. ONce you have a crack though, mechanical advantage will greatly aid your knife/bit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast