Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Boot Suggestions

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Like said, every foot is different. I've been reserching hiking boots every since the Colorado elk hunt this year was planned. I ordered a pair of Cabelas Perfekt Hikers after reading great reviews...but it wasnt for my feet. The quality was great, just the fit was not for me and I sent them back. I went to REI this past weekend and tried on every boot they had. I went planning to buy Lowa Renegades, but ended up buying the Keen Targhee II Mid. Most comfortable boots I've ever had on. Went on a 5 mile hike today and they performed great. I'd still like to try a Lowa, but I need a wide in those and they didn't have any in stock.

Not sure about the durability of the Keens,...just got them, but the comfort and waterproof is great.

Mike

Scout
    Thanks

I would like to try Lowas. I have tried 3 different Keen shoes, and while they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've worn, I had them falling apart within 2 months. Thank goodness REI has a great customer satisfaction program. I also had a pair of Oboz Firebrands that lasted me about 2 years before I destroyed the insides. The outsides still looked great though.

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,103 Posts

forgot to mention earlier on the foot shape thing -- I currently use a pair of Dunham cloud 9 hikers with the SL2 last -- took a little breaking in, but they've been great and have lasted me as city/country shoes for 7 years.
    Had another pair with the SL1 last and even in 4E they pinched -- but fit a buddy of mine perfect.

Tracker
    Thanks

For me, Merrell. They seem to fit me perfectly and there is no break-in period. I find them to be extremely comfortable and durable. They make a variety of mid-weight hikers and can be found everywhere.

Tracker
    Thanks

I have only had 2 pairs of the keens and have been pleased with the comfort.

Scout
    Thanks

Default She's gonna kill me!

Sierra Trading Post has the Salewa Firetail GTX on sale right now for $109 so I dropped the hammer on them. Cheapest I could find prior was $118 at Mountaingear. I normally can't stand gore-tex shoes or boots but after getting my feet soaked in the rain in my Scarpas the other day I said enough is enough. My girlfriend is gonna be ticked because I just had four boxes on the doorstep yesterday (replacement Platypus filtration bladders, SAK tweezer replacements for the ones my dog ate (yes, really), Insanity workout DVDs, and something else I can't remember). I went a little over the top, yes, but it's joint use gear, I explained. Won't matter with the shoes, though. I'm dead...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 634 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scoutsurvivor View Post
    Sierra Trading Post has the Salewa Firetail GTX on sale right now for $109 so I dropped the hammer on them. Cheapest I could find prior was $118 at Mountaingear. I normally can't stand gore-tex shoes or boots but after getting my feet soaked in the rain in my Scarpas the other day I said enough is enough. My girlfriend is gonna be ticked because I just had four boxes on the doorstep yesterday (replacement Platypus filtration bladders, SAK tweezer replacements for the ones my dog ate (yes, really), Insanity workout DVDs, and something else I can't remember). I went a little over the top, yes, but it's joint use gear, I explained. Won't matter with the shoes, though. I'm dead...
    Cool, man. Sierra Trading Post is great if you're quick enough to take advantage of the deals. I used to get the catalogs mailed to me in NY when I lived there.

Have you gotten to try out the boots yet? Let me know what you think of them afterwards, if you would.

Hope your dog is alright... did they just pass through?
    TRACKER PACK #13
    "Have you ever considered any real freedoms? Freedoms from the opinion of others... even the opinions of yourself?" -- Kurtz

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 634 Posts

Thanks for all the great responses! This thread has been very helpful in pointing out brands and places to buy that I had forgotten about, or just plain overlooked. I'll have all the info and opinions in the back of my mind when I go around in NY in May, looking for boots.

Thanks again fellas; keep 'em coming!
    TRACKER PACK #13
    "Have you ever considered any real freedoms? Freedoms from the opinion of others... even the opinions of yourself?" -- Kurtz

Certifiably Bushed Supporter WoodsJack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,821 Times in 1,748 Posts

I've got a favored pair of Asolo (even though I broke a heel wearing 'em once) and a much older yet fine condition pair of Merrell that somehow is special comfortable. I usually find myself skipping a set of lacing hooks on the Asolos, though. They're positioned kind of awkward.

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Hope your dog is alright... did they just pass through?
    Thanks for asking, Chris! She had pulled the case off of the kitchen counter, mouthed the knife out of the case, used it as a chew toy, swallowed the tweezers, ate the leather case. This is all theory because I only found the evidence after the fact and one very guilty looking dog hiding in the corner. Only after I ordered a replacement leather case and spare tweezers did she barf up the other ones. After the "ew" factor and cleaning them up, they slipped right back into my SAK Huntsman and I have learned to keep it way out of her reach.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast