Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone prefer using an alice pack without the frame?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 416 Posts

I always have mine with the frame large or medium just more comfertable for me especially depending what's in the pack i've tried it without the frame and I just dont like it. my upper spine does curve inwards some thats the main reason for using the frame as well

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
    real simple small piece of pvc pipe on top and run the shoulder straps through the frame holding straps at bottom
    I don't know if I'd like carrying it this way or not; but it's definitely good to know it CAN be done.

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher View Post
    Day hikes and short trips I usually go frameless. I cut a piece of foam rubber floor mat to fit into the pack up against my back. It gives the pack a little bit of shape, keeps hard things from digging into my back, and makes a good pad to kneel on or sit on.

I made a PVC frame based on a post on found on this site that I use when I need to carry a sleeping bag or want a kidney belt to help carry the load.
    We (and I'm sure many in the Military did the same) used our sleeping pads to line our rucks. jusr run it around the inside of the bag like a liner, with all your gear in the middle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santaman2000 View Post
    I don't know if I'd like carrying it this way or not; but it's definitely good to know it CAN be done.

Thanks.
    I like the pack, always had issues with the frame not fitting me correctly Im a big guy and the pack is made for someone around 5 foot 10 so for me it is alot more comfortable. I only use as my winter bag, for the summer I use a camelback motherload.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 592 Posts

I love the frame. Using a waist belt (which I dont think you can do without the frame) really helps the weight. Also, I love the air space between the pack and my back that the frame gives. Makes the trip much cooler, literally. Full disclosure- I use molle waist and shoulder straps. Much better than lc2

Tracker
    Thanks

i use one with out a frame, i did put a few dowel rods in a sleeve up in the shoulder pad that way it keeps the pack flat. plus the shoulder straps strap around the dowels spreading the load . works good for up to a 30 pound load

Thanks

Picture 7 by imseeker, on Flickr My friend uses a shelf on her frame. It has been handy for hauling water and especially firewood. I like the basic ALICE medium pack without the frame most times.
    Picture 8 by imseeker, on Flickr
    Last edited by glassknapper; 04-16-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Don't forget the bane of all American Soldiers, MOPE Gear. We had to carry that crap along with all the stuff you named. In Desert Storm, I also carried 3 brokedown MRE's and an additional 180 rounds (we couldn't get bandoliers, it came in boxes), a shelter half to stay out of the freakin' dust storms (It didn't help), a poncho liner (that went into my large mountain cold weather bag, it gets cold in the desert) and two 2 quart canteens. It had to go somewhere, so into the frameless medium ruck it went. I don't like them without the frames anymore. Luckily, they usually went into the back of the truck (Leg Engineers don't walk much, like our Airborne Brethren had to ), so not a lot of walking was done in them, but it went went us, whenever we were out of our trucks, along with all our survey gear.

The only thing I don't like about ALICE packs is they don't settle on the hips like a good hiking backpack does. But they aren't designed that way. They have to fit over the pistol belt, with your mag pouches, canteen, etool and bayonet .

I have a framed medium ALICE.
    Taliesin,

By the time of my second tour at Bragg starting in '89 the ALICE frame was a standard issue item and we used the 12' lowering line during parachute jumps. A much better arrangement than riding the ruck all the way to the ground. However, we were still issued just a medium ALICE for use with the frame so most of us went out and bought our own large ALICE packs. You are right about the MOPP gear (chemical protective suit, rubber boots, rubber gloves and extra filters, hoods, etc for the mask). It took up about 1/2 of a medium ALICE and you STILL had to stuff all the other go-to-war junk in there. I've detailed my unit's Desert Storm packing list for the ALICE in another discussion on this forum, so I won't cover it again. Suffice to say, the ALICE will carry beastly loads, but only if you are using a frame.

Thanks

I was wondering this same question. In basic (2003) we had mediums with no frames, but I bought one after I got out with a frame but wondered what you guy's did. I was thinking of ditching it but maybe ill keep it on there.

A

Scout
    Thanks

Default alice frame

were did you go to Basic/AIT ? i went thru Infantry OSUT in 1987 and was issued a frame for my med. ALICE ruck...heck also got a (new) field dressing for the first aid pouch...we still had steel pots and M-16A1's...vince g. 11B INF...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast