Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boiled Potatoes

Bushmaster Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Hobbyist
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,934 Times in 1,628 Posts

Good thread Prof. Mine are tasty 'cause I grow my own in my good Iowa dirt out back. I prefer to wrap in foil and bake in the coals, low maintenance.
    The only thing you deserve is what you earn.

Longbeard's SHEMAGHS and RIDGELINES

Tracker
    Thanks

My mother, who is 85, said that when she was a young girl she would spend the night with a friend. Before they went to bed the friend's father would give each of them a sweet potato. They would bury it in the ashes of the fireplace and that would be their breakfast the next morning.

Thanks

My old standyby for a week trip was 5 lbs. Each of bacon , potatoes and onions. Not for backpacking though !

Thanks

Default Imagine An Irish Brogue...

Quote Originally Posted by cloudraker View Post
    After the potatoe caught on in the old world, peasants and common folk would carry hot boiled potatoes in thier coat pockets as hand warmers.
    "Top o' the morn'n, O'Murphy. Are ye' hands cold, or are ye' just happy to see me?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDave View Post
    A baked murphy makes for foine fare, as does a baked sweet potatoe (aka yam).

If all you've ever had is candied sweet potatoes with marshmallows and stuff at Thanksgiving or Christmas, try baking them like a potatoe and add some butter, salt and pepper.

OD
    Thats my fave way to eat sweet taters. Reminds me of sunday dinners at granny and pa's

Indoor Outsider Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 809 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDave View Post
    A baked murphy makes for foine fare, as does a baked sweet potatoe (aka yam).

If all you've ever had is candied sweet potatoes with marshmallows and stuff at Thanksgiving or Christmas, try baking them like a potatoe and add some butter, salt and pepper.

OD
    Dave, my family really likes baked sweet potatoes! I don't know why people insist on burying them in marshmallows and junk, they taste great on their own. Sweet potato fries are really good too.

Prof, have you ever tried just sprinkling some instant brown gravy directly on the potatoes as seasoning? I haven't either, but the idea to try it just hit me as I was reading your original post.

Looker
    God Bless America, and those who defend her.
    Anybody can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad.

BladeScrounger #14

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,214 Posts

The very first meal I prepared in the woods was boiled potatoes. I was about 8, attending a boy's camp in Maine. We gathered the wood, made a pot hanger, built a fire (another first) cut up the potatoes into chunks and boiled them in a #10 can pot with a wire bail. All of this under the supervision of the counselors. A little butter, salt and pepper and they tasted pretty good, although mine were a bit underdone. I learned a lot from that exercise.

Thanks

I eat potatoes all the time. Both at home and in the woods.

A simple lebanese dish goes as follows. I peel the skin, mash them roughly onto a plate and mix with garlic, throw some olive-oil on top, add salt and pepper and eat with bread.

Quote Originally Posted by brush_loper View Post
    We did taters in the coals this weekend wrapped in foil! Kids luv em this way...can't get them to touch them at the dining room table though.
    Yep, i do this too. I add a onion sliced in small pieces and add some salt/pepper too. Great meal!
    Last edited by PropThePolecat; 04-18-2012 at 08:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 459 Posts

I love the baby reds with garlic, salt, pepper, butter and olive oil. So. Damn. Good.

Potatoes - YouTube

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified 8thsinner's Avatar
    Thanks

You have sorta inspired me towards an experiment on this since reading the replies...
    I have been using baby taters a lot recently to make Mexican wedges. I find them a good size for fast cooking, just coat in oil then coat with fajita seasonings...wonder if this can be done in a foil oven...serve with a chili, cream cheese, turmeric, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic... sauce with real cheese melted in lightly...

Thought I would share the idea if anyone is out before me, which I find likely right now, I wont be out for a few weeks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast