Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I missing anything?

Thanks

I agree on the metal cup or even use a steel bottle instead. How about a folding saw and maybe a casualty blanket or one of those emergency bivys? Maybe those can wait for next winter though.

Scout Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 309 Posts

I would suggest a bandana, for it's 101 uses.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,199 Times in 1,104 Posts

A folding saw would be a good addition, especially if you are injured and can't go walking around the woods with firewood, you can do more with standing stuff that is close to you. It's also an essential tool to build a good shelter.

Overkill is underrated Supporter Fat Old Man's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,522 Times in 944 Posts

Here's a great alternative to a Zippo lighter. Its o-ring sealed so the fluid doesn't evaporate or leak out & burn your skin. Extremely rugged stainless steel housing. They also have a lighter titanium version.

I would add a sportsmans emergency blanket that's more rugged & versatile than the lightweight emergency "space" blanket.

And a signal mirror.
    "The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. - Frederick Douglass, circa August 1857

Bush Hippy Supporter pure_mahem's Avatar
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,275 Posts

I'ld add a simple Bic in addition to whats already been mentioned. maybe a sling shot it gives you something you can use and they are pretty inexpensive. If you carry a flare gun they make an insert you can store with it so you can fire 22 cartridges out of it. and the whole thing is bought seperately so it's not considered a firearm. just a thought if you were interested.
    "...at some point on each walk there comes a moment when I look up and notice...the amazing complex delicacy of the woods, the casual ease with which elemental things come together to form a composition that is---whatever the season...perfect." ~ Bill Bryson

Bushclass Basic - Lessons: 13/13 - Electives: 5/5 - Documented Outings: 0/5

Thanks

i would suggest some small pliers. i take a really tiny pair of vice grips with me on most hikes instead of a multitool. i have a fixed blade with me so the rest of the stuff on a leatherman isnt much use to me.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Check out the UST stove and add a bunch of wet fire tender, I started collecting wet fire tinder or any other hexamine tabs I can find. If your going to be around modern technology a multi tool would be a good idea, in case you need to strip something from the helo. Or if the problem is something simple common sense repair if nobody on board is a mechanic. I agree with the small vise grips but add a multi tool. I also agree with carrying a couple of bic lighters along with the zippo . I just bought a UST lighter, it's the black one but I'm still carrying bic lighters in my pack.

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muddog15 View Post
    Check out the UST stove and add a bunch of wet fire tender, I started collecting wet fire tinder or any other hexamine tabs I can find. If your going to be around modern technology a multi tool would be a good idea, in case you need to strip something from the helo. Or if the problem is something simple common sense repair if nobody on board is a mechanic. I agree with the small vise grips but add a multi tool. I also agree with carrying a couple of bic lighters along with the zippo . I just bought a UST lighter, it's the black one but I'm still carrying bic lighters in my pack.
    There will be tools and mechanics on board. It is a military helo so the crew is well equipped and trained. I just fly with them occasionally riding along so to speak. I am sure they do not want me working on the helo. They just suggest I take a small bag along in case they get a warning light and have to sit down someplace for a while.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12