Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folding bushcraft/edc

Thanks

SAK Farmer!!!

Thanks

US knife is a good choice too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 300 Posts

I like a to EDC a combo on folders... I carry a locking folder(currently a kabar dozier), and a smaller slipjoint(currently a SAK recruit)... that way, most all my bases are covered... the SAK is better at some things than the dozier, and vice versa... I also EDC a LM wave, but I don't think of that as a knife...

Tracker
    Thanks

Deff. agree with the SAK Farmer,Although i have been lookin into the EKA SWEDE 88 Bubinga wich looks like it would be a great bushcraft folder, im sure there info somwhere around here on it.... Good luck, Wes-- PS- the Enzo D2 Birk looks like an awsome bushcraft folder also!
    Last edited by wesakachino; 04-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks

I usually carry a fixed blade (Helle Odel) and a SAK, but I wouldn't be bothered if I had my Svord Peasant and a SAK. I could do all I need to do with those two folders.

Tracker
    Thanks

I don't have any experience with a SAK Farmer. I would recommend a Buck 110. I have been carrying one for a while. It handles EDC tasks well, and can do almost any bushcraft related task. I have never owned a folding knife that made me feel more confident with the lock. This thing locks up solid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,334 Times in 785 Posts

If all you plan to carry is a folding knife, it makes sense to get one with a saw blade, like the Farmer or Trekker (see Solo's pix, above). I recently bought both so I can give you some thumbnail first impressions.

Actually, though, I didn't buy the Farmer but the Harvester, which has a small pruning blade instead of a can opener. The hooked pruning blade is really excellent for small carving tasks - say, carving a spoon or other implement. The Harvester also does not have the Farmer's key ring attachment. Otherwise they are identical.

Anyway, the Farmer/Harvester is just a gem of a knife. Some complain the blade doesn't hold an edge very well, but that seems to have been a spotty or one-time quality control issue and doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. The Harvester is probably the most useful small pocket knife I've ever owned. It's great for 90% of your trail and camp chores. And as others are quick to note, the awl is located where you can really use it for all kinds of chores. Many SAKs have the awl on the back of the knife, and it's just not good for much there.

The Trekker is also a great all-purpose knife with a couple advantages, the big one being that the main blade and the standard screwdriver lock open. They use liner locks and they lock up real tight. I don't know if I'd trust it for batoning, but I know I would not hesitate to try if I really had to. It's one of the most solid liner locks I've seen. The fact that the screwdriver locks open makes it a very useful pry tool.

I did not get the one-handed-opening Trekker, but I did get the one with a non-serrated blade. It's a big blade, too, useful for many things, but big enough to be not quite as sweet a carver as the Farmer or Harvester. That's one drawback of the overall larger size of this knife. The upside is that this knife really fills the hand, so it would be more effective for larger tasks, like carving an axe handle or de-limbing small tree branches. The awl is in the wrong place on this knife, and is not as effectively shaped, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make for that locking main blade. It's got the same kind of saw as the Farmer/Harvester, but about a half-inch longer.
    Last edited by Roamer; 04-16-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: more

Scout Supporter
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

Benchmade doug Ritter large gripttilian.

Mora junkie Rat biker Supporter Easy_rider75's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,101 Posts

I have an old SAK but don't use it much anymore these days my EDC folder is an OPI7 use it for carving and general use great knife to.
    I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.~Frank Sinatra~
    bushclass 6 of 14

Thanks

SAK hiker or remington scout

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast