Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Real Deal Brazil tarp hat

Thanks

I used beeswax on mine, and feel the need to order one of the ball caps. Could just be the hat junkie in me though.

Tracker
    Thanks

Today they emailed me WOW better service then I could have ever expected. This will NOT be the last one I buy GREAT customer service.......
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by fGsltw View Post
    I have been wanting one these for some time, well today it came in but I have to send it back it has a cut through one of the holes. It stinks because it is one of the nicest hats I have seen.... But I know the next one send will be cool to.
    Jim

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Finally got mine from the EU store... took almost 3 weeks due to the ridiculous shipping companies in Europe.
    I'll be ordering from the US next time.

Spanish fly this hat... gonna get me so much lovin.

I love it, hands down the best hat i have bought. only con is, the angle of the back of the crown is a tad steep making it a fraction too short at the back, but i can live with it.
    It's got mould, writing and a nice patch on the front.

Anyone who has been to Brisbane in summer knows how hot and humid it gets, the weather here is a cruel bitch. Tropical heat and humidity and rolling thunderstorms.
    I'm going to order one for work, this one is for fishing.

8382886237_be1c278452_c.jpg
    Last edited by rocksy; 01-15-2013 at 09:52 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rocksy For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Has anyone bought one of their packs?

I love the concept/look of it, but all the product images on their site look like an AXE Body Spray commercial!

Tracker
    Thanks

Ordered mine today! I believe I'll probably sno-seal it and do up a 550 cord stampede strap.

Will post up pics when it arrives.

It came in yesterday. I'm really happy with it. Pretty even color and only one patch.
    No band or waterproofing, yet; just the strap. I used an antler base for the keeper.

Last edited by IDSS; 01-27-2013 at 10:37 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IDSS For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Default The Real Deal Brazil Hat vs. a Filson Bush Hat

I have three Filson Bush Hats and I just got a Real Deal Brazil hat.

The Real Deal Brazil hat is much lighter weight than a Filson Tin Cloth Bush hat.
    The RDB fabric is so thin I honestly question if it really comes from tarps. Thin fabric isn't all bad as it will be cooler in the summer. I like the looks of the RDB hat a lot and it fits well and feels good on my head. The RDB hat is so light I almost don't feel it on my head. It has 4 vent holes but I am going to have to add additional grommets to vent this one some more too.

I really like the the Filson Tin Cloth Bush Hats except that they are hot. I posted a picture in the Bushcraft Hat thread showing the grommets I added all around to my hat for warmer weather. On the hat I vented I also have washed it half a dozen times trying to wash out as much of the waterproofing as I can. It is cooler now but still not a summer hat for me in Texas. The filson tin cloth fabric is pretty thick and that has advantages too. When I am walking through thick brush, the stiff rim and thick material give me a lot of protection against limbs and green briar.

I don't think I have found the perfect hat for me yet. For the summer I need a lot of venting, a sweat band that will absorb a lot of sweat or at least divert it from my eyes, tough fabric that will protect me from limbs and green briar, and look as good as the Real Deal Brazil Hat. For Winter I like the Filson except it doesn't cover my ears. I have a hat with a mesh crown that I will continue to wear in the summer until I find my ideal hat.

David Enoch
    Last edited by DavidEnoch; 02-23-2013 at 08:06 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidEnoch For This Useful Post:

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Reviving this thread. Just got my RDBTH. Now to add a hat band (maybe some paracord) and trim up some of the patches. This is my new favorite hat.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gatorfan View Post
    Reviving this thread. Just got my RDBTH. Now to add a hat band (maybe some paracord) and trim up some of the patches. This is my new favorite hat.
    I love mine, too. As it says, don't take care of it, it'll take care of you.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,943 Times in 1,469 Posts

Diggin mine. Only thing I had a problem with is the sweat pulling through it and spotting. I'm hoping waterproofing will help with that. I have scotchguard on it now.

Great hat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loogaroo View Post
    Diggin mine. Only thing I had a problem with is the sweat pulling through it and spotting. I'm hoping waterproofing will help with that. I have scotchguard on it now.

Great hat.
    Use some of the Dr Martens "Wonder Balsam" and you shouldn't have a problem with your hat. The only thing you need to know is it will darken the hat, so if you don't want it darker then don't do it. Also to put it on with ease take a hair blow drier and heat up the Wonder Balsam to make it really soft and it will spread on just like hot butter.

NOTE: Use the whole can of it which is only 2.5oz of it. Coat both side of the brim and only the outside of the main part of the hat. Make sure you get into all the seams so they are water proofed (top of them and behind the edge). Also it will feel a little damp like for a few days until it is all soaked in, but is wearable almost immediately.

Before waterproofing...

After with Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam...
    Last edited by dracothered; 07-06-2013 at 09:59 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dracothered For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast