Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fairweather's speedy tarp setup - I copied it :D (pic heavy)

Thanks

Default fairweather's speedy tarp setup - I copied it :D (pic heavy)

Hi,

I really liked fairweather's awesome idea (http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64507).

So today, I had a day off, and decided to try these mods myself.

I also added some bungees and Klemmheists knots (got these tips on another forum)

I also made some other bushcrafty stuff...

I set the tarp up as picnic shelter for me and two of my boys. It was a fun afternoon out!

First, I made some pretty tarp pegs

This is the modified tarp. You can see the first mod already...

I tied off the back end (the one with the ridge line coming out through the grommet)

Then I tied off the other side and let the tarp come out

I used quick release knots on both sides

No more loosing the stuff sac!

The ends of the tarp are now attached with Klemmheists

I attached the guy lines to the pegs with tautline hitches

The guy lines I always store neatly away with quick release knots

Between the tarp and the guy lines I installed bungee loops. These are affixed to the guy lines via a Yosemite bowline.

The bungee loops itself I tied with double fishermens with a extra overhand at the ends (it's bungee after all..)

Finished!

Before the picnic could start I had to dig out a tree root. I used my KA-BAR USMC for it. YEE HAA

Picnic time!

The tarp feels 'bombproof' and does not sag anywhere thanks to the bungees and the Klemmheists.

Now it was time for some other bushcraft:

I recently got this M40 gasmask bag for a fiver. I added a loop and D ring with reinforcement on the inside

I found a REALLY nice piece of fat wood. Took the time to prepare some maya sticks. My office reaks of terpentine now

Again, thanks fairweather for sharing your awesome idea!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Hubb's Avatar
    Thanks

Beautiful outing.

Thanks

Looks like an excellent time. Thanks.

Chort Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Thanks

What's the purpose of the bunge loops on the guy lines? Why not just attach the guy lines directly to the grommets? (is this a neat trick I need to do too?)

Thanks

Nice outing. I like the setup. Looks like the kids had a good time too.

Thanks

Nice work. I'm unfamiliar with a couple of those knots you used. What's the Klemheist and Yosemite Bowline used for? Obviously the second is a bowline variant, but there must be some advantage. Sure looks cool!

wolfy

Thumbs up

Nice job!

Thanks

Thanks for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by mikeglock2010 View Post
    What's the purpose of the bunge loops on the guy lines? Why not just attach the guy lines directly to the grommets? (is this a neat trick I need to do too?)
    I use 550 paracord for the ridgeline and guy lines. I find that inherently, there is a little bit of stretch in it - just enough to let the tarp sag a bit after a night or when it is windy and the wind works on the tarp/ guylines. The bungees counter that and keep the tarp taut. In my experience The tautline hitches are only needed to first set up the tarp. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Nice work. I'm unfamiliar with a couple of those knots you used. What's the Klemheist and Yosemite Bowline used for? Obviously the second is a bowline variant, but there must be some advantage. Sure looks cool!
    Klemheist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klemheist_knot
    Yosemite bowline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_bowline

I use the klemheist to keep the tarp in place. Both ends are attached with these knots. I can slide the tarp along the ridgeline (e.g. when the ridgeline is not set up horizontally for any reason) and it stays in place! The knot provides friction so the wind cannot work the tarp loose from the ridge line. I find I just need to make sure the ridgeline is taut when I set it up. Hope this explains it.

The yosemite bowline is a knot I am very fond of since my climbing days. I used it as a tie in knot (climbing rope into my harness).

For this particular tarp setup, I think you can use any knot you like and that holds the bungee loop and the guy line (e.g. fig 8, overhand, or even a quick release knot). I just use the yosemite because I am a bit of a knot nut and love this particular knot so much.

The advantage of this knot for me is that I can tie it very quickly and without thinking about it. It is strong, does not come undone and is easily untied, even after load.

Guide
    Thanks

Looks like a great time out with the chillen. One suggestion I'd have would be to take a little extra time to square off the tops off your pegs and then bevel around the edges. That way they wont tend to bust all apart if you have to drive them in and can be reused multiple times. Just a suggestion. The rest of the set up looks great. Thanks for sharing. Memories the kids will have forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Two Rivers View Post
    Looks like a great time out with the chillen. One suggestion I'd have would be to take a little extra time to square off the tops off your pegs and then bevel around the edges. That way they wont tend to bust all apart if you have to drive them in and can be reused multiple times. Just a suggestion. The rest of the set up looks great. Thanks for sharing. Memories the kids will have forever.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try that next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast