Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Mess Kits Do You Guys Use? Post Pic Please.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 458 Posts

Default What Kind of Mess Kits Do You Guys Use? Post Pic Please.

I am looking to replace my mess kit and was looking for ideas. This isn't a "what is the best mess kit?" thread, I just wanted to see some pics to get ideas for what would meet my needs. I currently have an aluminum Swedish mess kit and am just looking for something different. Any and all Ideas are welcome...ESPECIALLY WITH PICS! Thanks guys.

Grizz

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,152 Times in 3,495 Posts

I like the USGI canteen cup and meat can combo. You can boil water in one and fry bacon in the other.
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Panzer For This Useful Post:

Dr. Fishguts Bush Class Basic Certified kgd's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,223 Times in 444 Posts

I pretty much just carry a bottle cup and a baby bush pot. Once in awhile I'll add in a nesting GSI shallow pot that nests with the baby bush pot. That and a little grill (made for cooling cookies and picked up at a cooking outlet for $1) is mostly what I carry. I do have a trangia set up that I drag with me car camping and had it at the meet-up last week.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I have a few that I like but recently its just been a Zebra pot with a nesting cup under my Guyot and a plastic cup inside the Zebra and a TI LMF spork. I also have the Stanley Adventure with a GSI glacier nested on it with one of the cups inside that and the Guyot rest just enough in that to fit in a Maxped 5x10 with enough room to add a stove.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrwhitetailfanatic For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/op...nd-he-kochset/ I picked up one of these sets at 20 bones. It might not be the most ideal for the backcountry chefs out there, but it's the perfect size and quite efficient. 1 liter pot and 5 inch pan.

Scout
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I use a surplus French kit. Square fry pan, square bowl/plate, and a smaller square bowl. Pretty compact all in all.

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,201 Times in 1,075 Posts

It depends on what you call a "mess kit".

The first kit is a set (3 qt, 2 qt,) of billy pots with skillet lids. I replaced the 1 qt. pot with a Bushpot coffee percolator. The 1 qt. pot is carried as a small solo kit. A 9" carbon steel skillet is also in this kit, designed for 4 people.

The second kit is much larger, of thick aluminum on the order of the Boy Scout Trail Chef and can cook for 6+ people.I think I might sell this since it is really bigger than I need. The largest pot is about 8 qts.

The third kit is a GI Mountain cookset with 2 2 qt aluminum pots and a stainless steel skillet that can cook for 3-4.

The fourth kit is a new one for me for two. The pots are 48 oz, 32 oz. and 16 oz. and a 7" carbon steel skillet.

The fifth kit is a new make stainless steel canteen and cup with the "L" handle - better suited than the butterfly handle for use with an open fire. Not shown in the GI open bottom stand/stove.

The first, second and third kits have bail handles for hanging over an open fire. I made a set of light pot chains for this pupose.

The fourth and fifth kits have side handles more suitable for use with a stove.

I'm in the process of designing and making kitchen/food packs to carry the larger kits and accessories for use in a canoe or vehicle.

I have no pictures but other kits are:

Esbit .5 liter pot, lid & windscreen/pot stand, spoon, folding cup, small bowl, I carry this in a daypack.

Ultralight Solo cook set: sil-nylon stuff sack 10.6 oz.
    water heating for beverage and freezer bag meals
    Heiniken keg can, pot stand, lid, windscreen, folding cup.

Brunton IB cook set, net stuff sack for solo actual cooking.

Ultralight Solo Plus 1 cook set: net stuff sack
    BrassLite .8L. titanium pot w/cozy, lid, 2 folding cups

All of these kits are packed with a variety of accessories, sporks, stoves, etc

The Swedish folding cups, both large (20 oz.) and small (8 oz.) nest inside each other, giving you a bowl and cup about the size of a hockey puck. They are also very durable and light.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rdec; 04-26-2012 at 08:20 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I use a knockoff Boy Scout Mess kit and a USGI canteen cup. So far they seem to work ok. I tend to carry a small bottle of olive oil with me so stuff doesn't stick to the frying pan. Scrambled eggs can be a pill to clean.
    Last edited by Taliesin; 04-26-2012 at 08:31 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Taliesin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Lately I have been using a Coleman anodized cookset. I got mine at wally world.

The larger pot nests with a Nalgene. A butane canister and backpacking stove fit inside the small pot perfectly.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,267 Times in 3,955 Posts

depends what i'm doing, but let's assume the most common, a backpacking-light canoe trip. (If there are no portages, i'll add a dutch oven and a set of fire pipes.)

that means a Mors Pot. Inside that i have a Kool-Aid container in which i 'cook' my dehydrated meals, and a foam cozy in which to set it... this also prevents it rattling around. my sole utensil is a spoon, with a little bit of the handle cut off (just enough to get it to fit inside the pot). i also have a lexan mug that nests on the bottom of a 32 oz water bottle.

that's it. i can fry bacon on a stick. breakfast oatmeal goes in the kool-aid container. tea goes in the cup (can use the lid of the kool-aid container if i'm going WAY light). lunch is cold. dinner, as mentioned, goes in the kool-aid container. cleanup is too simple. no pot to wash, and the kool-aid container gets a handful of sand and some soap, a cup or two of water, a shake or three, and a rinse.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast