Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Mess Kits Do You Guys Use? Post Pic Please.

Tracker
    Thanks

swiss mess kit. my 1st one 20+ years old thats all I ever use

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 Times in 457 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm partial to the surplus kits myself. most of them are just all around solid. Has anyone used or owned a Czech mess kit before? I'm trying to see how solid it is. I like the look and size but wanted to know how sturdy the handles are. I'm trying to decide between the Czech, Brittish or Scout mess kits right now. They all seem to be reasonably priced. The search contiues...

Thanks

Have a texsport version of the boy scout mess kit that I've had for years. A Coleman anodized al set that I have been using very heavely after I ditched the beer can ultra lite set up and I just found out how to bake on it. Been playing around with some pots from www.batchstovez.com . Oh and I just bought a USGI mess lit and canteen cup set to play around with. I'll try and post some pics soon.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,430 Times in 1,980 Posts

Trying to change my kit in line with reducing my overall weight to minus 35 pounds or so .
    I really like that GSI pot and squishy bucket I just don't want to pay for all those plastic cups inside . I just use the Esbit cheapy stove and a canteen cup .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 04-29-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    " Don't take life too seriously , nobody gets out alive anyway "
    Sydney Harris

Tracker
    Thanks

My standard mess kit is a G.I. issue set that my dad got for me when he was out on drill while in the Army Reserves. The thing is a tank! I still have all of the original utensils that were included!

Of course, I still have the stainless canteen cup from my canteen set-up from when I served. It is an integral part of the set. I know a few fellows who use the canteen cup exclusively - they're not too keen on washing dishes in the field.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PA Ranger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 182 Posts

I'm not much for mess kits per se. When doing a long backpacking trip, I now take a Snow Peak 900 ti "cookset" which is light but mostly just good as a pot.

When any real cooking is going to happen, and weight isn't so much of an issue, I generally carry a 775ml MSR Stowaway pot (not pictured) and a Paderno 6ish inch steel skillet.

Thanks

One setup with GSI Dualist stainless and Soto microregulator stove.

Another setup if I want a second container and don't want to carry fuel. Or sometimes its just the MSR Titan with either the Solo Stove or the Soto.

Bail mods on both pots make cooking over the fire a very viable option and my preferred method. The cozies save fuel, make rehydrating easier, and keeps my tea hot. :-)

Take care out there, HighOutdoors.
    Last edited by HighOutdoors; 04-14-2014 at 01:03 AM.

Tracker Supporter
    Hobbyist

Thanks
    Items for Sale

I have an aluminum Swedish kit but you are trying to replace that sooooo....I mostly carry my PF water bottle, SS cup and stove along with a Tranjia burner that all fit in a Condor H20 pouch. I've used the cheap Texsport boy scout mess kit and did OK with them but got them pretty beat up after one day of use. I recently picked up a 1.8L Mors pot and I like it a lot but I haven't had a chance to use it more than twice over a fire. With all my kits (except PF kit) I pack the Swedish 20 ox. Fold-A-Cup and a LMF Ti spork.

Thanks

im working on a new cook set. its basically a ss cup, plastic cup inside the ss cup, ss bowl, pot gripper, and an esbit stove. i was looking at it in the way of, "what is the bare minimum i need to cook with?" and this is it. the cup is used to boil water in, the bowl is my frying pan, plate, bowl, and what i use to mix things in, pot gripper to grab the bowl and cup, plastic cup to drink out of, and the esbit stove to cook on. it can also be used over the fire because its stainless steel.

Scout
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,669 Times in 370 Posts

I have a 20 gallon tote full of cooking kits/pots etc

not long ago I decided the little stanley adventure kit was not up to what I wanted to boil water . So I ordered a snow peak kettle #1 this thing is great have not had it in the woods but I have used it in back yard in my den etc. looking over my stuff I came up with this set small stainless/copper pot,
    snowpeak kettle, silicone bowl from walmart, cup from stanley set, gsi folding spoon and salt/pepper shaker and a tea ball. Bandana to put between pots and generally handy the bag I made today from goodwill cloth on my old hand crank sewing machine

Continued
    Last edited by plumberoy; 04-06-2014 at 01:53 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to plumberoy For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast