5 22.73%
  • Natural clay project

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Project - May 2012

Guide
    Thanks

Default Monthly Project - May 2012

It's that time of the month again, folks! Here's the options for this month.

Option 1. Repurpose 3 non-recyclable items from your trash. This one is tricky because so many of our usual go to items for DIY stuff are recyclable. This means no tin cans, glass bottles, etc. The one exception is that paper items are fair game.

Option 2. Build a walking stick monopod. You can use any materials you want. The only requirement is that it is capable of having a camera attached to it and that it will hold that camera upright without someone to hold it that way. I think this would be very useful especially after reading that thread about how to improve our YouTube videos.

Option 2. Alternate Suggested by buroak. If the monopod wins, you may also opt to build a walking stick (no monopod) if you use naturally gathered materials.

Option 3. Make a bullroarer from gathered materials. You may use artificial cordage.

Option 4. Submitted by buroak. Collect natural clay and use it to make something useful at home or in camp. Fire it in an open wood fire if possible.

Happy crafting!

Guide
    Thanks

First of the month bump. Voting is over in a few days so get them in!

--
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please forgive any typos.

usual suspect ♌ Supporter Keyser Söze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,984 Times in 4,530 Posts

soon
    "Can I get some coffee?" ~Verbal
    . Forum Rule nr 7
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. I'm wanted dead or alive. Wanted dead or alive. !

Guide
    Thanks

The walking stick (monopod or natural materials non-monopod) is the winner!

Good luck everyone and happy crafting!

Thanks

How do we enter a item and can it be any type of walking stick? How about finishing it, does that include not using store bought finishes such as stains and polyurethanes?

Guide
    Thanks

Hey dracothered, you bring up some valid points. Here's clarification or everyone.

Monopod - Any materials are fine as long as it can hold a camera upright.
    Walking stick - Use only natural materials for the body of the walking stick. You may add some store bought bits as long as you keep in the spirit of the project by using naturally occurring materials you bought in the store.

In general, the options listed in the first post for these monthly projects are more guidelines than hard and fast rules. It's all about getting everyone to do some crafting! So, while it doesn't really fit the "rules," if you want to add a rubber foot or use polyurethane instead of linseed oil, go for it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Hey dracothered, you bring up some valid points. Here's clarification or everyone.

Monopod - Any materials are fine as long as it can hold a camera upright.
    Walking stick - Use only natural materials for the body of the walking stick. You may add some store bought bits as long as you keep in the spirit of the project by using naturally occurring materials you bought in the store.

In general, the options listed in the first post for these monthly projects are more guidelines than hard and fast rules. It's all about getting everyone to do some crafting! So, while it doesn't really fit the "rules," if you want to add a rubber foot or use polyurethane instead of linseed oil, go for it!
    Thanks just wanted to know if I had to come up with some nature found finish which to be honest I wouldn't know what I could use or find here in Michigan. I have my walking stick started just need to finish it.

Guide
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dracothered View Post
    Thanks just wanted to know if I had to come up with some nature found finish which to be honest I wouldn't know what I could use or find here in Michigan. I have my walking stick started just need to finish it.
    Birch tar and pine tar make great finishes, but I don't know if you have them out in Michigan. If you don't use them on this project, keep them in mind for future uses.

usual suspect ♌ Supporter Keyser Söze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,984 Times in 4,530 Posts

Talking in the works...is the pic to big? ? call 1 800-who-cares

top part done ...also good as a ground sticker for now...but i will attach it to a bamboo stick soon

Last edited by Keyser Söze; 05-08-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    "Can I get some coffee?" ~Verbal
    . Forum Rule nr 7
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. I'm wanted dead or alive. Wanted dead or alive. !

Thanks

That is a cool idea...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast