Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birds chirping at 3 AM, ID help

Scout
    Thanks

Default Birds chirping at 3 AM, ID help

There's been some bird chirping at 3 AM for sometime, I looked it up and apparently the street light in city can confuse them make them do that. Obviously I can't see them, so I made some recordings, wonder if anyone can tell what kind of bird are they.

I've seen some what looks like bullfinch jumping around during day time, at least the chest feather coloration looks like them, not sure if it's of any help.

Attached is a mp3 files zipped, recorded with my phone so volume is kinda low.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 2,599 Times in 808 Posts

I can't really hear it, but a bird chirping at 3 am is usually a mockingbird.

Tinder Gatherer
    Thanks

Is it many different sounds, or just the same sound again and again and again?
    Mockingbirds always have several different songs they sing over and over.
    Jay's are usually the first birds to start just before it gets light here, but on an iPad, I can't listen to your audio... Sorry....

Bush Hippy Supporter pure_mahem's Avatar
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,290 Posts

Sounds like a Robin. There quite loud this time of year.
    "...at some point on each walk there comes a moment when I look up and notice...the amazing complex delicacy of the woods, the casual ease with which elemental things come together to form a composition that is---whatever the season...perfect." ~ Bill Bryson

Bushclass Basic - Lessons: 13/13 - Electives: 5/5 - Documented Outings: 0/5

Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 731 Posts

That's a Robin.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,616 Times in 1,146 Posts

The roosters next door like to wake me at midnight. I live in a suburb with some street lights.
    The mp3 actually sounds just like the birds who sit on the big oak tree right next to my bedroom window. I had to get a white noise machine because of them.

Bush Hippy Supporter pure_mahem's Avatar
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,290 Posts

Most people don't realize that your Robins are there most of the year they just happen to start hopping around on you lawn in the spring. They are excessively loud this time of year due to mating season. I only knew that it was a Robin because I've heard the loud call when my door was open and saw that a bird was making the call in a near by tree so I grabbed my binoculars to see if I could identify it. Sure enough it was a Robin. Loudest bird around my house. The foxes ate all the neighbors roosters so I don't get woken up by them anymore.

On a side note the Robin distress/warning call is a good one to know when you are camping as it will warn you to approaching animals and people. They are one of the birds that if they have a nest with eggs and chicks in it will make a heap load of noise to try and lure you away from it. I have many nests around my house they come back to the same spot year after year and often have 2 if not 3 nest full of chicks. Plenty of early warning alarms for unwanted salesman and visitors/inlaws.
    Last edited by pure_mahem; 04-28-2012 at 03:40 AM.
    "...at some point on each walk there comes a moment when I look up and notice...the amazing complex delicacy of the woods, the casual ease with which elemental things come together to form a composition that is---whatever the season...perfect." ~ Bill Bryson

Bushclass Basic - Lessons: 13/13 - Electives: 5/5 - Documented Outings: 0/5

Scout
    Thanks

Now that you mentioned it, yeah it does sounds like American Robin, and the ones I saw are them too.

Thanks!

Banned Member
    Thanks

The far away one is a Robin, but there is another one, closer but not as often, what is that one?

Bushwhacker Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,464 Times in 2,402 Posts

My Wife and I say it sounds Like a Robin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast