Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Marbles Knife Thread

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glen1100 View Post
    Very nice Hoodoo, if that Special Hunter ever needs a good home let me know. The custom looks like a Trailmate?
    Is that what they called that big full tang model? I must be losing my mind because the name is vaguely familiar but I'm just not recalling it.

Yer looking at my retirement there. The sport 99s are going for $200+ at the gun shows, almost triple my investment.

Never did know what that custom was called. Picked it up in a trade.

Special Hunter eh?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoodoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,884 Times in 625 Posts

I think the Special Hunter was a Northwood knives/Marbles remake of the knife. The Special Hunter is an old design from the early days

4. The Following User Says Thank You to glen1100 For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Are the current production marbles knives any good? I've been looking at the model 232. Any thoughts?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sniperstraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,480 Times in 8,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperstraz View Post
    Are the current production marbles knives any good? I've been looking at the model 232. Any thoughts?
    The current knives sold under the Marbles name are made in China. The collective experience here has been that China made knives have extremely variable quality control. Not saying you cannot get a good one, but you are playing against the odds in my experience.
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Hardwoodsman Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 57,662 Times in 12,303 Posts

Thumbs up

Special hunters were the bomb.

Very few were made if I remember right, short life span for the model.
    The new ones made around the turn of this century were pretty cool too.
    Great looking knife, man.
    Romans 10:9
    Turley Knives web site
    Remember the birds
    youtube channel
    Turley Knives sub-forum
    My blog about Turley knives and stuff
    http://turleycustomknives.blogspot.com/
    "See the High Priest He took my place, when the Judge looks at me He sees His Son's face." -16 Horsepower

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Iz For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    The current knives sold under the Marbles name are made in China. The collective experience here has been that China made knives have extremely variable quality control. Not saying you cannot get a good one, but you are playing against the odds in my experience.
    Thanks! Thats what I figured especially considering that they can be had for twenty bucks. At that price if they were any good I would expect to see many more people talking about them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sniperstraz For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,192 Posts

It seems that a lot of the old USA makers who now have products made in China have learned that it really helps to have American engineers supervising the construction and the quality control.

I have some China-made cutlery that seems to be very well done, including Kissing Crane, Schrade, and Marbles. I have no way of testing the steel except in use and they all sharpen well and seem to hold an edge.

I just got a Schrade Old Timer #60T Golden Bear lockback that is nicely done. The blade action is smooth and solid, easy to open and close. The blade has no wobble, play or deflection. It came sharp.

I know it is fashionable to sneer at Chinese cutlery but whatever it may have been in the past does not necessarily hold true today and I am quite satisfied with the quality of the knives I have.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rdec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,480 Times in 8,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rdec View Post

I have some China-made cutlery that seems to be very well done, including Kissing Crane, Schrade, and Marbles. I have no way of testing the steel except in use and they all sharpen well and seem to hold an edge.

I know it is fashionable to sneer at Chinese cutlery but whatever it may have been in the past does not necessarily hold true today and I am quite satisfied with the quality of the knives I have.
    I am glad that you have some good ones. However, too often, it is literally a 50/50 shot as to whether or not the heat treat is done right. I am not sneering, nor is anyone else- we have had the sad first hand experience of buying and trying China made knives, Yes, some are acceptable, but many are not. If they bring in professional engineers to supervise the heat treat, that may help, but it does not seem to cure the problem completely. They simply are NOT as good at QC as the original brand name makers were.

If you see that observation as a sneer, I can only congratulate you on your superior mind reading powers.

G1
    Nemo me impune lacessit ! Wisdom is knowing what to do; Skill is knowing how to do it ; Character is what lets you actually do the job.
    Turley Knife Club #59

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreyOne For This Useful Post:

Curmudgeon. B.O.F. Supporter 45jack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,648 Times in 1,309 Posts

Hoodoo,
    Would it be easier for you to just list the knives you don't have?
    ~ Jack
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    John Adams
    Honor: If you need it defined, you don't have it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 45jack For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for this thread, I have always liked the Marbles knives. They were definitely a "cut above" most of their competitors.

For the gentleman that questioned Case CV being heat treated to a lower hardness than the equivalent steel Carbon V - yes, Case runs it at a lower hardness.

Another gent wondered if Buck had ever used 440 SS, and that is affirmative. They used 440C, then switched to 425M, and finally to 420HC as their main steels. Also, the slipjoints that Camillus (and I believe the early Schrade contracted slipjoints) were 440A.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stevomiller For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast