Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mindanao, Philippines-Jungle Trekking 1

Guide
    Thanks

Great to see different parts of the world and how people adapt to the various geographic differences, thanks for the pics looked like a great time.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,667 Times in 550 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bush_buzzard View Post
    Man, I would so love to go with you guys. I made a fancy jungle machete and the only thing I ever get to cut with it is mesquite. That was a true adventure. Thanks. You guys are awesome.
    Did you make a custom blade?
    Let's see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    No, in the world. You also mentioned Peru.
    Yes sir. Doing wilderness stuff hiking, and learning/teaching survival based skills: Alaska, Arizona, California, Nevada---all in the US.
    Outside of the US: Australia, New Zealand, Samoa, Bora Bora, Vietnam, Thailand, Mexico, Croatia, Philippines (4x), and Peru (4x). We are leaving for Peru in less than a week for a 7 day survival trip.

Quote Originally Posted by chutes View Post
    Awesome story and pics BTG Philippines is on my to-do list. I really want to visit Tawi Tawi, but I heard that's worse than Mindanao.

The green ants in your photo. The locals didn't mention using them at all?
    Nothing about the green ants, is there something cool we can do with them? All in all, it is a great country with lots of volcanoes, mountains, jungle, and water activities.

Bushmaster Supporter Mtnfolk Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,101 Times in 1,886 Posts

great stuff as usual Reuben.. look slike an amazing trip..
    >>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bear the dog View Post
    Nothing about the green ants, is there something cool we can do with them? All in all, it is a great country with lots of volcanoes, mountains, jungle, and water activities.
    They're all over SE Asia, right down to northern Australia, which is how I know about them.

Some cultures use them, but others don't.

The Green Ant can be used in the following ways -

- Boil a nest to provide a medicine for colds and coughs - also works for headache
    - Throw a handful of ants into a billy for a refreshing lemon drink
    - Crush some ants and rub resulting liquid onto lesions or minor wounds as an antiseptic.

Willie Gordon gives some other uses on his page here: http://guurrbitours.blogspot.com.au/...green-ant.html

Thanks

Thats pretty awesome, it looks like your'e into the type of travelling I'd like to do: worldwide bushcraft! You've never lived life until you've gone to a 3rd world country and risked getting your head chopped off on the internet! I salute your adventurous spirit.

On a side note you had another thread regarding the gear you were taking to the Randall's jungle training in Peru. I can't seem to find it. Could you point me in the right direction or tell me if its been deleted?
    Last edited by yoteslayer; 05-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yoteslayer View Post
    Thats pretty awesome, it looks like your'e into the type of travelling I'd like to do: worldwide bushcraft! You've never lived life until youv'e gone to a 3rd world country and risked getting your head chopped off on the internet! I salute your adventurous spirit.

On a side note you had another thread regarding the gear you were taking to the Randall's jungle training in Peru. I can't seem to find it. Could you point me in the right direction or tell me if its been deleted?
    It sucks trying to enjoy yourself when there is that feeling that you may kidnapped. Felt that way in Mexico in 2009 and in here in Mindanao. It was great life experience though and everything went well.

Thanks for looking.

As for the other post, your guess is as good as mine. Looks like it was deleted.

-RB

Averageiowaguy

Just so you guys know, Reuben (bear the dog) is an instructor for Randall's Adventure and Training, and he was an instructor when I took the course. Lest there be any doubt, Reuben knows his stuff. Many of the gear choices I've made have come from discussions with Reuben. We carry slightly different brands of gear, but basically have the same load out. Also, what you carry as an instructor is different from what you carry as a student. My video on gear for the RAT course was shot for the potential students.
    Last edited by Averageiowaguy; 05-07-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Clarity

Tracker
    Thanks

That looks like an outstanding adventure, and an incredible jungle!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bear the dog View Post
    As for the other post, your guess is as good as mine. Looks like it was deleted.

-RB
    WEAK. Thats pretty ridiculous. Thanks for sharing your adventures. Definitely more interesting than pictures of twig bundles or what type of spoon you carry in the bush

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yoteslayer View Post
    WEAK. Thats pretty ridiculous. Thanks for sharing your adventures. Definitely more interesting than pictures of twig bundles or what type of spoon you carry in the bush
    No problem at all. Moderators do things for a reason and you got to respect it. I MOD on forums too, it can be a little tough. That being said, I like this place and the people here.

Thanks for looking, I just like sharing and learning from people wherever possible .

-RB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast