Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not For The Queasy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhitetailfanatic View Post
    They didnt diagnose you with MRSA? I had one down low and they just gave me antibiotics. That mother#%#$%$ HURT! But they diagnosed me with MRSA.
    A culture and sensitivity is required for the diagnosis of MRSA. Staph aureus is a normal flora on our skin, but when it starts to cause problems (for a variety of reasons) AND has antibiotic resistance, that's when you have MRSA and the monkey poop hits the fan

Thanks
    Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,659 Posts

Some decades ago, I had one and then two and then went to the doc. Got a prescription for an "antibiotic" - don't recall which. Whoops. Wrong one.

Broke out with cysts all over my back, buttocks and some elsewhere. Changed docs, got on the strong stuff and had to deal with a "systemic infection" all winter, for months on end ... wear anything only once before laundering hot. Same with sheets, etc. HOT soak bath in salts EVERY night. Had a champ of an S.O. that actually helped me with topical treatments EVERY night.

Lots of pain, rigorous routine and time lost/devoted to overcoming and recovery. Scars, too.

Don't mess around with such stuff.

Dumpster Diver Supporter Brazito's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 945 Posts

This explains quite a bit of my past experiences. Luckily only small ones, they will pop like a zit.
    Illinois slumdog #8

Never speak of pencil sharpeners.

Tracker
    Thanks

Had one the size of a ping gong ball in my armpit when I was a teenager. Kept a cotton pad soaked in a strong epson salt solution on it, which drew the infection to the surface and it erupted and drained on its own after about two days. Old school rememdy. I imagine being young with a good immune system helped.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified 8thsinner's Avatar
    Thanks

I have had a couple, Isciorectal (?) eruptions. Once when around 18, major pain, could not walk more than an inch at a time. I had went to the doctor a few times, pills not do a damn thing. until it suddenly sprouted to the size of a baseball in two days.

Finally found a new doctor who said they were popular in war times when an ingrown hair carries infection into the body. Jeep drivers got them a lot from bouncing on hard seats all day in sweaty conditions.

The body grows a sac around it to protect itself but the sac keeps growing due to what ever reason. and it sort of grows itself into a pure poison. If it pops inside you, thats it, you dead without modern medicine.

Healed up in a month or so anyway and then about 8 years later same place came up. and this was far worse. In a london hospital by the time I made it there, they said they have never seen one as big. I spent nearly a year, on my belly, with a nurse changing the padding and thats bloody excruciating.

The one thing you never forget if you have one is the stench. It's the worst thing I have ever smelled in my life. And I once spent 6 weeks working construction in sewers...

I still have a major risk of it coming back as it never healed perfectly. Eventually you get used to the pain of that large an amount of scar tissue pressing against your insides but it still knocks me down at times.

If you think you have one, kill it, KILL it before it has a chance to kill you, Shots and a scalpel, hell yeah. salt baths 3 times daily, hell yeah, do what ever it takes.

If this happened in the woods or I ad to deal with it, I am glad I now have the confidence to know what is necessary. but it's on my 18 symptoms that deserve an immediate evac.

On a side note, I am not the slightest squeamish, and that video was very clean compared to some, but the memories I have associated with this part of my life is making me feel sick right now.
    Last edited by 8thsinner; 05-04-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Tracker
    Thanks

Over the years I have drained lots of abscesses - they are generally easy to manage. My biggest to date was on a patient's back, and drained around half a liter of pus (after it was all cleaned out, I could fit my hand into the cavity that was left).

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 920 Posts

Oye! Glad I was not eating. Good info to know but what a mess!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Robert Frost

Thanks

Very interesting thread.... gross..... but interesting and informitive.

Thanks

Don't know why but this made me think of the Simpsons episode where Homer is shooting everything open with his new revolver. Not sure why but makes me remember him opening his beer with a 357!

Sorry,
    Lost

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12