Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parachute camopy for cover

Thanks

Very nice write up! I've been eyeing chutes whenever im at a surplus store with something like this in mind. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks

I was considering using one of these as a cover for a tipi. This is a great thread. Also worth noting, in nearly every survival book I have seen, it is said that a hammock is easily made from a few of the panels of a parachute. When my funds recover, I will be looking in to parachutes. I know Coleman's has em.

Thanks

I have seen websites that talk about making teepee's out of them. I have a survival book that tells about setting one up in much the same way Wayland is doing. They left the bottom on the ground then suggested piling up snow in winter weather around the bottom. An interesting idea. Thanks for the post, and thanks to Wayland for his input.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,168 Posts

No reason that it can't be hoisted up and treated with Thompson's Water Seal if it doesn't hurt the material. Could be applied with spray bottles.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 533 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwightp View Post
    After looking at the photos of the hardwoodsman meet and seeing the big parachute they had that provide some protection from the sun, I am thinking of getting one for myself.

I thought this would be a good time to discuss this....never seen it as a thread topic before. So, I'm looking to the ranks for tips, photos, etc.

Some of my questions include:
    where to buy, how much to pay, what size to get, how tall a center pole to use, how many "tie downs" is adequate, tips on tying down, set-up times and tips, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance.
    I think that SgtMac made a TeePee type tent out if one IIRC? Maybe get with him and find out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12