Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parachute camopy for cover

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified dwightp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 426 Posts

Default Parachute canopy for cover

After looking at the photos of the hardwoodsman meet and seeing the big parachute they had that provide some protection from the sun, I am thinking of getting one for myself.

I thought this would be a good time to discuss this....never seen it as a thread topic before. So, I'm looking to the ranks for tips, photos, etc.

Some of my questions include:
    where to buy, how much to pay, what size to get, how tall a center pole to use, how many "tie downs" is adequate, tips on tying down, set-up times and tips, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dwightp; 05-18-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks

I've posted this before but this is how I go about it:

There are occasions when it is useful to protect a larger space from the worst of the weather. A surplus parachute canopy can be effectively used to make a practical and economical shelter for a workspace or camp fire area and I thought I would show you how I set mine up for the first time recently.

When you obtain them through usual sources, such canopies have often been rendered unserviceable by cutting the cords or in some cases the material itself.

Depending on the condition such cuts are usually quickly and easily repaired with a sewing machine which leaves you with a large amount of useful material for making a weather resistant shelter.

It is important to realise that the nylon material is not waterproof but it will tend to channel the water down the material to the lowest point which is usually round the edge. In heavy rain a certain amount will be forced through the canopy in the form of a fine spray but this does at least reduce torrential rain to a mere drizzle.

On other occasions the same shelter may provide a shady area in the heat of a summer day without blocking the light and making it difficult to work under.

I obtained a large “Irvin” canopy that I think came from a pilots emergency ejection seat from a surplus supplier in the UK. When it arrived there was a heavy net attached to the circumference which I quickly removed with a pair of sharp scissors.

The next thing I removed was the drag chute and some internal lines, connecting the outer edge to the fifth radial seam, which were designed to scallop the canopy when deployed. For my purposes they just prevented the chute from hanging properly so I cut them about six inches from the seams. I used the attached residue of these lines to make simple loops that can now be used to spread the material when the shelter is set up. The remaining spare cord was useful for setting up and I'm sure I'll find a use for the other bits too.

To set up the shelter I used two sturdy trees either side of our intended space and a good length of strong cord. I used a catapult with a heavy hex nut to launch a thin crab line over suitable branches and then drew the heavier cord over and across the space between the trees. The cords across the air vent in the centre of the canopy were then attached to this line with a strong karabiner and hoisted up.

To spread the material over your working space you can of course just tie it directly to suitable trees or bushes but a much better way was suggested by Steve (Mesquite on BcUK). His idea was to make a perimeter line around the outside with another strong line and then attach the edges of the chute to this with lighter cord or even “bungees”. That's what I did here and it worked very well, allowing the cords to be anchored exactly where needed instead of pulling at odd angles.

In use you will find that the outer edge drips as rainwater soaks though and anything attached to the inside of the chute will make a drip point too but as these are in a fixed position they are easily avoided. The loops left on the fifth radial seam were prone to this but I am reluctant to remove them at this stage because I think they will be useful to set it up in smaller areas on other occasions.

We were working from this fixed location for just under a week which included heavy rain and hot sunshine. In both cases we found the shelter it provided very useful indeed. We did not experience much wind so cannot comment on that but my gut feeling is that it was certainly adequately secured this way to deal with normal breezy conditions, I would have to evaluate strong wind as it occurred.

Guide Bush Class Intermediate Certified Davros's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,642 Times in 481 Posts

Awesome setup Wayland. In the first picture it looks dome shaped. In the second it looks more conical. Is that from the campfire? Hot air filling the canopy?

Thanks

It was a gentle breeze that kept filling and spilling that day.

At night it looked like a giant luminous jellyfish trying to swim to the surface.

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwightp View Post
    After looking at the photos of the hardwoodsman meet and seeing the big parachute they had that provide some protection from the sun, I am thinking of getting one for myself.

I thought this would be a good time to discuss this....never seen it as a thread topic before. So, I'm looking to the ranks for tips, photos, etc.

Some of my questions include:
    where to buy, how much to pay, what size to get, how tall a center pole to use, how many "tie downs" is adequate, tips on tying down, set-up times and tips, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Good topic. Ive been considering the same thing.

The Proud Father of a Proud Soldier...GO ARMY !
    You call me an infidel like it's a bad thing.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified dwightp's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 426 Posts

Actually, I never thought about having a campfire under it.......thanks.

Tracker
    Thanks

I made a call to a nearby surplus store this afternoon to see if they had any chutes. They said they had more than 20. Green is cheapest, white is more. They average around 60 bucks starting out for a decent one.
    This might be a good idea for our campsite at scout camp this summer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dwightp View Post
    Actually, I never thought about having a campfire under it.......thanks.
    Actually they get a bit more waterproof as they smoke up.

I guess it's the tar or something.

Thanks

Back in the stone ages,1970's, my scout troop used those for winter camping.
    we piled lots of straw inside, no fire, and froze to death.

great times!!!
    JJ

Thanks

Wayland's setup (and write-up) is epic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast