Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alice pack seems small

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 459 Posts

I had my shelter tarp in a stuff sack with pegs and line kit in the open gap in the frame for a while. You can even secure a camelbak in there fastened to the inside of the frame. I wouldn't recommend doing that with anything larger than a 2 liter though. Mine is 3liter and I ended up with a soaked back from squeezing the bladder between myself and the pack.

Grizz

Thanks

You guys are right about the external attachment points and being able to go a bit higher than the top of the bag.
    I think my initial issue was that it's hard to feel like you are going minimalist at all when your pack is stuffed full, even if it is a smallish pack. I culled a lot of things I have carried in the past and not used, but then I also added a stove, fuel bottle and kettle that I don't normally carry... We will see how this trip goes and refine it further next trip.
    Maybe next time I'll take a lot of bacon to get more room :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzix View Post
    Wet weather gear took up front pockets in basic training if I recall. Check out IAWoodsmans packing an ALICE pack video. His loadout is pretty awesome and leaves room for clothes and food.
    +1 on IAWoodmans video.

I use to be a strictler about bringing an extra pair of clothes in the field from my Marine days. Extra clothes take a TON of space and weigh alot if you are wearing Carharrt pants and hickory shirts like I normally do.

One day I realized, I never wear them. Ever!!! If I get wet I dry them with body heat on the move, build a fire, or ignore the fact i can't feel my fingers and toes. For emergencies I pack a pair of synthetic long underwear in the summer and super thin fleece base layer in the winter (like polar tech 100). My emergency plan if I take a dive in an icy river is to switch to the long underwear/fleece and my rain gear until I can dry my clothes out. I usually have an extra pair of wool socks - more for comfort.

So dropping the extra clothes may give back enough space for more of that dehydrated bacon - sooooooo good.

Packmaster Actual Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,989 Times in 3,653 Posts

One day I realized, I never wear them. Ever!!!
    I am with you. 1 undie, 1 sock, and a long sleeve poly pro T and maybe a bottom. That's it for extra clothing for 2-3 days. Maybe a fleece if it gets chilly at night.
    _____
    Trail Mix - MM's with obstacles
    Tracker Pack Member #7 - Axe Mob Brand Compliance Officer
    http://packmastergear.blogspot.com/

woodsmannorway

In my opinion the medium alice pack is good for 2-4 days packed for one person.
    If you fill it up too much you carry too much.. cut down on comfort items and luxury items. Find smaller gear to replace the big bulky gear you have.

Thanks

woodsmannorway,
    I posted the packing list. What "comfort items" and "luxury items" would you suggest I eliminate? I don't even have wet weather gear in there. Which other gear would you suspect of being too large? (except for my 3 cans of food)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,054 Times in 560 Posts

i added a molle sustainment pouch to either side of my medium alice and lived out of it quite comfortably for a ten days backpacking trip in wyoming
    i carried my sleeping bag and extra clothing in the mss sleep system bag attached to the bottom of my pack. that freed up the pack for every thing else
    heres a picture from that trip, you can see one of the molle
    sustainment pouches attached to the hellcat...woods

Thanks

Those 2 sustainment pouches would add a bit of room. I have been thinking about it today and wonder if the bottom of my main bag is fully expanded or if it is getting smooshed by my bedroll. I'll have to look at that real quick tonight before I leave. I kind of don't want to find a ton of extra space because I don't want to fill it and have it get heavier. I would like it to just hold the stuff I need.

Thanks

I just looked and there is a little, not a bunch, of space that was hidden. Probably just the right amount for what I need though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12