Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knifish but unbushcrafty question to all

Guide
    Thanks

Default Knifish but unbushcrafty question to all

Looks like I will be in San Diego Volksrepublik der Kalifornia in July.

Almost all my everyday carry edgeware is apparently not permitted by my nannies in that enlightened land.

So I turn to the weird "California legal automatic knife". Suddenly seems intriguing. My uses will be EDC in 100% urban environment, it looks like.

Anybody out there have ones they like of dislike? I am more of a production knife budget than a custom knife budget.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A K Church View Post

So I turn to the weird "California legal automatic knife". Suddenly seems intriguing. My uses will be EDC in 100% urban environment, it looks like.
    I've lived in CA for over 30 years and have no idea what you are talking about. Can you be more specific?

If you are concerned about CA knife carry laws, they really are quite good. It's legal to belt-carry virtually any fixed blade and locking folders are legal for 'concealed' carry everwhere (except 4" blade limit in gov't buildings).

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Capt. Redbush's Avatar
    Thanks

What is it you normally carry that would not be allowed? I'm not totally up to speed on any ordinances in Sandy Eggo, but California has pretty lenient knife laws. Folding knives are only regulated with regard to "switch blade" type knives and on school grounds and can (and should*) be carried concealed. Fixed blade knives can be worn open carry, as can folders. The only length prohibitions are based on local ordinances or, in the case of switchblades, 1", iirc.

*it's usually the case that if you can go about without drawing attention to you having a knife (ie, legally being able to conceal it in a pocket or whatnot), the less hassle you'll have.

Please note, I left California a couple years ago, so things may have changed. Good luck and enjoy Sandy Eggo. It's truly a lovely town and some awesome beaches!

Scout
    Thanks

Any folding knife that isn't a switch blade should be fine. I carried locking folders and slip joints in my jeans pocket when I lived in San Diego and never drew any attention to myself. Even if you're normal EDC is a samurai sword you'll probably be okay, you're going to be in town around the same time as Comic-con, the locals will assume you're in your con-costume and the tourists will assume you're some kind of wacko local.

Guide
    Thanks

It was my understanding that auto knives with blade lengths under 2" fell in a loophole and were not prohibited-unlike other auto knives. I see several knife retailers do indeed designate small autos as "California Legal".

Yes, as I look online, I am unable to find the exact code reference-violating a rule I constantly advise others not to break. Shame on me.

Not going to be there for any sort of comic convention, don't plan on wearing a costume, either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 380 Posts

maybe take a break from auto knives for the trip, just to be safe, who knows you might find something new that you like better. Good luck

Guide Supporter
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,510 Times in 3,703 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A K Church View Post
    It was my understanding that auto knives with blade lengths under 2" fell in a loophole and were not prohibited-unlike other auto knives.
    Maybe it's the way I'm reading it but I think you have it backwards .... 2" and under should be legal.

Guide
    Thanks

I guess my phrasing was stilted, but yes, we are in agreement-my understanding was that under 2" is legal.

I also see attitude creeping out in my first post, and for that I apologize.

BabasBear

I found this online: http://zknives.com/knives/articles/l...nifelaws.shtml
    I live in north San Diego, and have an EDC knife. But, I don't advertise it or put myself in a position to scrutinized by an LEO.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified sherlockian100's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
    I've lived in CA for over 30 years and have no idea what you are talking about. Can you be more specific?

If you are concerned about CA knife carry laws, they really are quite good. It's legal to belt-carry virtually any fixed blade and locking folders are legal for 'concealed' carry everwhere (except 4" blade limit in gov't buildings).
    Not in Los Angeles, be sure to check local ordinances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast