Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: your thoughts on shotshells

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dracothered View Post
    The one thing no one has brought up is that shot shells in a semi-auto pistol will not cycle the slide to load the next round. They are really only meant for revolvers. I bought a box of them for my Ruger SR22 .22 pistol and they wouldn't cycle the slide one bit.
    I think they work in centerfires just fine, I have a friend with a 1911 that seems to have no issues with handloaded shot capsules in it. He uses it with #8 shot to keep snakes out of his belly boat. I keep telling him to get cheep .38 because just the thought of his Royal Blue Colt Commander in those wet conditions makes me want to cry.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Hubb's Avatar
    Thanks

I've fired "rat shot" from a Glock 22 and my 1911, both of which cycled fine (and both times were to kill a snake...). I don't think it's ideal though. Never saw the need to have a magazine specifically for this special round. The best way to defeat a snake is to simply avoid it (watch your footing, don't turn objects towards you, etc).

As far as a bear is concerned. I ain't really worried about those. I'll just suplex him into submission. (Not really. I'm not worried about them because they aren't any around where I generally am at).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hubb View Post
    I've fired "rat shot" from a Glock 22 and my 1911, both of which cycled fine (and both times were to kill a snake...). I don't think it's ideal though. Never saw the need to have a magazine specifically for this special round. The best way to defeat a snake is to simply avoid it (watch your footing, don't turn objects towards you, etc).

As far as a bear is concerned. I ain't really worried about those. I'll just suplex him into submission. (Not really. I'm not worried about them because they aren't any around where I generally am at).
    Ok it seems the larger cal rounds they work in the semi-autos, but I think they are still better suited in a revolver where you can have lets say two shot shells and the rest heavy hitting loads.

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Hubb's Avatar
    Thanks

And here's another tip. On the Judge, shoot one and check reviews if at all possible, before buying one. They are fun to shoot but it's more a novelty gun than anything else. To me (and this is solely my opinion) it just isn't practical for what it offers and you'd probably be better off with another choice.

Thanks

Default Judge, I Swore To Tell The Truth

The Box O' Truth guys did their usual GREAT WORK on the Taurus Judge and it is worth a visit... also just worth a visit in general... who else would report on the results of loading your shotgun with dimes!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/
    Last edited by zippydapanhead; 05-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freefall149 View Post
    i can appreciate the respect for life, and there is no need to kill for id. as i found out when my dad was hospitalized, they used the same antivenin for all snakes in the US.
    i just kill all poisonous snakes because what if that snake goes and bites a kid when you could have taken it out? i see the most good being done by controlling the population of poisonous snakes
    That is not quite true. They use the same anti venom for all pit vipers, the Coral snake has a different type venom and needs a different anti venom.

Missouri Woodsman Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 2,050 Posts
    Items for Sale

Someone else may have mentioned this and I missed it but it can actually be dangerous to use shot shells in a gun such as a Glock. The Glock uses a barrel with a tighter bore than say a Beretta. This combined with the their hexagonal rifling produces higher velocities from the same round. This is a problem when shooting lead shot or lead cast bullets. The build up can cause the dreaded Kaboom.

HardwoodsLeatherworks.com
    Hardwoods Leatherworks Vendor Forum

Turley Knife Club Member #143

"Some want to live within the sound of the church or chapel bell; I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell. " C.T. Studd

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lerch View Post
    Someone else may have mentioned this and I missed it but it can actually be dangerous to use shot shells in a gun such as a Glock. The Glock uses a barrel with a tighter bore than say a Beretta. This combined with the their hexagonal rifling produces higher velocities from the same round. This is a problem when shooting lead shot or lead cast bullets. The build up can cause the dreaded Kaboom.

(snip)
    I have never heard of lead fouling causing a gun barrel going kaboom.... Only that it causes the accuracy to drop with to much of it.

Scout
    Thanks

I popped a pheasant this December with a Taurus 651 in .357. I was on a long dayhike with my father-he brought the 870, and I had one of my concealed carry pieces on me, so I purchased some shotshells. Thankfully I got lucky and a handsome rooster bedded down instead of taking off-he was maybe 2 yards from my feet. Depending on your firearm's rifling/barrel length, it would probably be worth carrying a handful in your survival kit. I can see it being a practical solution for upland fowl, rabbits, snakes and the like.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,059 Times in 647 Posts

A few have reported fair results with shot loads on small game, but my experience in calibers from 22, 9mm, 38 spl to 44 and 45 Colt, and some handmade 45-70 shot loads are that they blow the pattern pretty quickly from the rifling in the barrel. The rifling causes the shot pattern to spin and open up quickly, and leaves a hole in the center as well. The very small charge of shot makes the patterns rather thin and sparse beyond about 10 feet. Try patterning some on paper targets or cardboard and see how the patterns work in your gun, it may be better than average.

I find they kill snakes very well to about 10 feet. That's about all I do with them or would trust them. Very good small game loads can be made up for rifles or pistols with a round ball of appropriate size for the particular gun and a very small charge of powder. I use the round ball loads in the 30-30 for snakes, bunnies and grouse. Much more effective range than shot loads also.

I'm one of the unrepentant snake slayers. I've had a number of bad and near bad experiences with them. Rattlers in any event, I leave other types alone, they can pick up the slack that the dead rattlers miss out on.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-08-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast