Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bark river bravo 1 or blackbird sk5

Thanks
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 546 Posts

Thumbs up +1 for the Bravo 1

"Originally Posted by J View Post
    Ive had 2 bravos and 2 gunnys all in A2 and they chipped out frequently. I used them alot not just for posing for pics..."

Quote Originally Posted by XMP View Post
    I as well haven't used an SK5, but I have had a different experience with BR's A2. My most used knife is a Gunny, and I've used it hard for several years. I've had no trouble with it chipping. I have two Bravos, which I haven't used as much as the Gunny, but I will say that the Bravo 1 has a VERY comfortable handle for extended use.

Good luck with your choice.
    I'm with XMP....

From my experience with Bark Rivers and the Bravo 1 I would have to say that the Bravo 1 would be my choice. My experience with several A2 steel and one Barkie with 154CM steel (STS 3) that are users has been positive. I've never experienced a chipping issue with either steel. Just might be how one uses a knife?

From what I've read here, A2 is very well received by many here. I had to Google the Blackbird and take a look at the knife and the handle. Again I would choose the Bravo1 handle over the rectangular shape of the Blackbird.

Over forty years ago when we went camping & hunting, bushcraft(ing) wasn't mainstream then...My first fixed blade hunting knife was a Mora. Since then and around 75+ knives later, my tastes have changed in my knives and I can indulge myself with finer tools & blades now.

I have around 35+ Barkies, users and what I call my safe queens. I enjoy all them for what they are, serious tools and lookers. The users have made my "camp" uses easier now. I EDC a rotation of 3 Barkies, belt and pocket carry.

I was going to mention that I certainly don't begrudge anyone who chooses to collect any type or brand of knife, but that's not what the OP was asking for.

Final Thought, BR A2 steel works for me and I really like the ergonomics of the Bravo 1 handle. It is a personal choice, get the one that trips your trigger.

Double Ott
    Last edited by Double Ott; 05-05-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Double Ott.... aka: Tom.... "The Axe Mob "

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Ott For This Useful Post:

Moderator/Staff Bush Class Basic Certified
    Vendor
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,907 Times in 6,392 Posts

Glad its worked for you boys. I dont begrudge anyone for being a collector either. I have lots of blades that I dont use.

I didnt do anything differant with those blades that several other knives have proven to handle without issue. I know how to properly use a knife. Not my first rodeo.

Actually I owned 3 Bravos. Forgot I had a first production run as well. I dont remember having any chipping issues from that one, but I didnt really use it hard either.

Its not an uncommon issue......

However if they work for you awesome. Wish they worked for me.

As for the ops question, I cant reccomend a Bark River knife to him with bad experiances. Nobody could.

Tracker
    Thanks

My Bravo is my most used knife. I have bought many other even other Bark rivers but always go back to my rampless Bravo. It was one of the first all wood handle ones. I've had it for about 4 years. I was just thinking today maybe of getting rid of a few knives since I always end up with the Bravo on my side. I've never had any problems with mine except when I took it to the grinder(discovered I'm not a knife maker or modifier.)This picture is after a good cleaning so it is shiney but vacation is around the corner.

Thanks

I don't own the other knife mentioned, so I can not give a great comparison. But I will say I love my bravo 1! I love it so much that I am forced to mod my esee 4 for me to ever use it again. The bravo 1 is my go to bush knife.

Scout Supporter
    Thanks
    Items for Sale

love my bravo 1, hate the fire steel striker. edge retention is good, not great. but all in all it is my favourite knife.

Thanks

bark river knives are incredible quality for the price. steel, heat treatment, and edge geometry are really paired well and the bravo is one of their most popular models. i would suggest the bravo!

Guide
    Thanks

No experience with either.

WHY does Ontario make a knife out of 154CM and then include "SK5" in the name?

Guide
    Thanks

I've had my A2 Bravo I for a couple years. Mine came with the firestarter ramp. I added the leather Sharpshooter/fire steel loop sheath. After using it a while, I'll probably send it back to have the ramp removed. I just bought the same knife for my son's 21st B-day (sans the ramp). I purchased Bark River's Bushcrafter earlier this Summer, and I think I like its blade shape better for all-around use (but that's off topic). Don't have any experience with the other blade about which you inquired.

PC

Thanks

I wanted the blackbird sk5 bad when it first came out, But after seeing and playing around with it at Smokey Mnt. knives this past jul. I passed it up.
    Everyone is different, untill you can put your hands on any knife you just don't know. As for the steels and heat treats they can all be.....?
    There are a lot of good knives out there, ck around and see what feels best. I like to hear what other folks think or have exp. with a product before I buy as well.
    Good luck in your search, Let us know what you end up with.
    Thanks

Tracker
    Thanks

i'm new to the site and I agree i have the blackbird as well, it is a great knife especially for larger hands. It takes and holds an edge very well.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast