Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Herters Inc

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Herters Inc

I have a Herters Inc. knife that ive used for years, but ive never seen any others. Its stood up to use of all kinds, and is my preferred bushcraft knife. Does anyone else have any experience with this knife? What is the history behind the company?

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 768 Posts

George Herter was a sportsman and big-time marketer. In the 40's, 50's, and 60's, one could find a Herter's ad with a quip by George in practically every outdoor, fishing, and hunting mag. After his death, I believe Cabela's bought the company and some Herter's products are still sold by them today. He copied the Ruger Super Blackhawks, to some extent, and chambered the gun in his proprietary Herter 401 Powermag and in .44 mag and .45 Colt, I believe. Most Herter's products were of good quality.
    He marketed a camping cookbook and in it, he added bits of his wisdom, including one that endeared him to women, no doubt, when he stated that home made mayonnaise could not be made properly when done " at that time of the month". He was a character and that was a different time...

Regards,

ezra

Thanks

My dad has a Herters skinner some black duck decoys, decoy paint and an old torn up catalog. It is about the size of the hard covered Cabelas

They were in to duck hunting big time.

Now I think they only sell ammo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 958 Posts

G.L Herter was the grandfather of all mail order out door catalog stores.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Leonard_Herter

His marketing skills included writing several out door manuals cook books and generally his take on life in general.

If you ever get a chance to read his "Bull Cook and Authentic recipes book, you will be entertained :
    http://www.amazon.com/Bull-Authentic.../dp/0880013907
    or
    Professional Guides Manual
    http://www.amazon.com/Professional-g.../dp/B0006W7TL0

He does discuss his self designed knife in the Guides Manual, so hang on to it, it is a piece of history.

Any old Herter's catalog is also interesting....You could buy a SS bolt action rifle back in the 1950's for like $25 bucks, on up for fancier models.

Tracker
    Thanks

I have the bull cook book, and found it quite inrlteresting.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,108 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PorterRockwell View Post
    I have the bull cook book, and found it quite inrlteresting.

I still get a kick out of cooking steaks on a coal fire.....LOL.

He was big on have the 'best", 'biggest', and recipes from royalty......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,032 Times in 848 Posts

The Herters knives were made by R. Murphy, they are still making most of those paterns too.

Scout
    Thanks

I bought quite a bit of Herter's equipment back in the 60s and 70s. My first down coat and down sleeping bag came from Herters. Visited the store in Mitchell back around '74 or '75. They were out of his "bowie" knives back then but I did pick up a skinner that was made by Chicago Cutlery but Herter's had his name stamped on it. Over the past decade, I've collected quite a few Herter's knives off ebay and I also bought a bunch of the Grohmann look alikes from Murphy. They were practically giving them away when they discovered they had some old stock. They were not in Murphy's catalog. Murphy was the last maker of those knives as far as I know. I think the handle is more comfy than the Grohmann. Murphy is now selling them again, but they've jacked the price way up, more commensurate with what they are worth. My favorite Herter's knife though is not the Grohmann clone but the earlier "improved bowie" that did not have the hump on the spine. Looks like a pretty decent Kephart style knife but more pointy (which I like better).

Also worth noting, much of Herter's writings were entirely made up. He was an incredible huckster but he also must have had an incredible imagination and skill for writing fiction, and as far as anyone knows, there was no such thing as the Northstar Guide Association. I seriously doubt he was any kind of outdoorsman. I have to say, though, he sold some pretty good outdoors equipment.

Thanks

I have a beat up Hearters square end freighter canoe its' about 17ft long. Man, is it heavy. I loved to stop at the Mitchel South Dakota store as a boy. I bought all my traps from them. Their catalogs were the stuff of my dreams! Sorry to derail your thread. I Know nothing of your knife.

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 1,322 Posts

I bought lots of stuff from them over the years including the little wood stove, boots, sleeping bags, and fishing gear.

I still have an old catalog from the '70s, The Bull Cook Book and the Guide's Manual I also have the Bull Cook knife in a homa-made leather sheath that I carried for many years and preferred to the Bowie.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast