Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NW Woodsman tarp tent bootleg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 281 Posts

Default NW Woodsman tarp tent bootleg

I have had my eye on the NW woodsman tarp tent for some time but, due to the additional shipping cost to Canada I couldn't bring myself to drop that kind of cash on it. There is however the "blueprints" for the trap tent on the NW woodsman site (thanks NW Woodsman!!!). So, I went to visit my Canvas/upholstery guy.... Turns out he had some nice heavy cotton duck canvas in khaki color. I priced it up and to make the 9'x12' tarp I would need at least 12 yards and canvas isn't cheap so it adds up quick. After showing the blueprints he said he would only charge me $25 on top of the cost of the material to build it for me. I then imagined all the hours I would spend thumping away on my house machine cursing like a sailor..... Yeah I got him to make it for me!!!
    I had 85Suzuki and his kids over today and while our kids played we threw it up quick in the back around the fire pit next to wigwam. Thanks to the detailed tent set up instructions on the NW Woodsman site it went up easy.....after I looked it up. I am going to leave it up and have a fire out there once the hurricane is over (not really, just very windy).
    You will see I have the back tied off to the tree, (it is not necessary to hold it up it just opens up the inside) well if you don't like that you can just put a stick inside as I did and it keeps it up just the same.
    I haven't tried any other set ups but i got this one down and will go out and change it up. Just thought I would share this with the everyone encase anyone had there eye on it to.
    Just so you all know canvas is not cheap and NW Woodsman's price is fair if your south of the border and don't get gouged on the shipping. I haven't really tried it out but I already really like it!!!!

Learn-Practice-Teach
    TKC #78

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal Boy For This Useful Post:

Guide Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,849 Times in 1,042 Posts

Nice tarp, looks like it will serve you well.

Luke 5:16 Supporter MysticFlight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 639 Posts

Very nice tent!

Woods Bum Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,430 Times in 4,375 Posts

Nice!

so how's that swedish log fire thing working out for you? can see the evidence in one of the pictures...
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 158 Posts

Can't wait to see how well the thompson's water seal works. Great pics......oh watch for land mines you don't want that impregnated into the canvas

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Nice!

so how's that swedish log fire thing working out for you? can see the evidence in one of the pictures...
    They worked prety good, next time I will be sure to make the slits nice and wide to accommodate airflow, or split the log in four and stick it in the ground or pile rocks around it. Also, i would not be so set on starting the fire at the bottom of the slits, seen a few vids where the built the fire on the top till it took off.
    That big one is left over from Christmas night, I just threw it back into the fire pit the other day. Think 85Suzuki was over for that night too....it was a good night, the wigwam and fire pit was packed, crashed out there that night .
    Learn-Practice-Teach
    TKC #78

Curmudgeon. B.O.F. Supporter 45jack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,678 Times in 1,323 Posts

That is excellent!
    ~ Jack
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    John Adams
    Honor: If you need it defined, you don't have it.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified IamLegend's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it.

Scout
    S.E. Kansas, a stones throw from Big Brutus
    Thanks

I really like the one I made from an 8oz painters tarp. It will be great come winter as I can tell they are not hot weather shelters.

Guide Supporter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 791 Posts

Nice. I'd sure like to try that setup.
    wood, wool, canvas, leather ...but for sleeping, goose down rocks...
    Bushclass Interm Lessons Completed(Req.=1/11, Elect.=3/12 Outings=0/10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast