Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking a modern equivalent to the 35mm film can

Tracker
    Thanks

Default Seeking a modern equivalent to the 35mm film can

Hi all,

Anyone have any suggestions for a modern substitute to the once ubiquitous 35mm film can? Something that is waterproof, smallish and either usually thrown away or pretty cheap to easily purchase?

About the only thing I've come across are plastic Skoal cans, but since I don't chew they are a hassle to get. I've never even considered carrying edibles in one. Altoids tins aren't waterproof obviously and they are noisy too.

What does everyone else use for carrying/storing small miscellany?

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 508 Posts

I like to use 35mm film canisters and went to a local camera shop and asked if would they ordered some for me. This was a couple years ago and the guy just handed me a few no charge. Not sure how many are still around, but I think since the digital age they are probably just siting in the back of camera shops collecting dust forgotten about.
    WE DO NOT INHERIT THE EARTH FROM OUR ANCESTORS. WE ARE ONLY BORROWING THE EARTH FROM OUR CHILDREN.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rwfred For This Useful Post:

Exy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,060 Posts

Use the empty containers that test strips for diabetes come in. Just put out the word and people you know might have some. They're sealed sufficiently to protect the sensitive strips so they should work.

And, I've never seen any where the cap isn't permanently atatched. All mine are.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MiddleWolf For This Useful Post:

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleWolf View Post
    Use the empty containers that test strips for diabetes come in. Just put out the word and people you know might have some. They're sealed sufficiently to protect the sensitive strips so they should work.

And, I've never seen any where the cap isn't permanently atatched. All mine are.
    Good suggestion!

Thanks

Sorry I can't think of the brand name but there are some mint or chewing gum dispensers that come in a plastic tube shaped container. It has a good lid that snaps shut, I use one to store split shots for fishing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Swampdog For This Useful Post:

Guide
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,019 Times in 1,009 Posts

35mm film is still around. Any place that processes film will have the cans in their trash. If you ask and stop by from time to time they will be happy to give them to you. I have seen them sold by the dozen in the auction sites.

Nalgene bottles in the smaller sizes also work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rdec For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Might try the m&m minis containers. Little longer, but I'm sure you can find a way to fill it up.

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,682 Times in 3,777 Posts

About a year ago, I went to my friendly neighborhood Walgreen's, walked over to the photo counter, and asked for an old film canister... the girl pulled a box up from under the counter and asked "what color would you like?" (she had white, black, and grey, with black or grey lids). I asked what she was going to do with the rest of them. She said "they go in the dumpster out back". I asked for the box. She gave it to me. I still have about 20 of them.

Look around. They're out there.

Empty prescription bottles work too. You can go to the pharmacy and ask for non-childproof caps too, and they'll give them to you... just bring one to try on for size, as there are a variety. Vets have them too.

For slightly bigger stuff, though it's heavy, the M258 decon kit box works well. Just try to get one with the blue inserts... those are just alcohol wipes, for training... if you get one with the green inserts, those are real... not sure how to dispose of them.
    Last edited by Seeker; 07-04-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

Woods Bum Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,682 Times in 3,777 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdog View Post
    Sorry I can't think of the brand name but there are some mint or chewing gum dispensers that come in a plastic tube shaped container. It has a good lid that snaps shut, I use one to store split shots for fishing.
    Mentos. They come in a couple different colors.
    "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you." John Muir

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 394 Posts

I second Walgreens...our local one here saves film canisters for school kid's projects. They give them to me by the handful whenever I ask.

Empty pill bottles/prescription med bottles work too, with any number of sizes and lengths available.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast