Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to make Firesteel, where to get the rods

Tracker Supporter
    Thanks

Default Want to make Firesteel, where to get the rods

Guys, I want to make some of my own firesteels out of some exotic woods I've found.

I am needing to find somewhere to get the ferro rods. I was hoping to find a better deal than firesteels.com. Need 3/8, maybe 5/16"s. Not having a lot of luck finding bulk orders. I am needing about 20 (Christmas gifts, buddies etc...) Need to justify getting a lathe, lol.

Next I am not for sure what they are called that I want. I've got the ones that spark like crazy but I also have some that I bought custom made that when you strike them its like molten beads of metal that come off and stay lit longer. I like the later better and for me quicker success starting a fire but I don't know what those are called.

Last is an opinion question. Do the firesteels needed to be pinned to the handle? I have use mine a good bit but not extensively and none of them have been pinned to the handle and I have no problem with them. Is the epoxy enough or do I need to pin them?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 416 Posts

There are resources around cheaper than firesteel.com, but you'll get what you pay for. They have what you're looking for, too...small beads of molten lava instead of parlor trick sparklers. Personally I don't see myself going anywhere else in the near future. If you contact them, I'm sure they'll work with you about identifying what will work best and you can ask about a bulk order discount.

Pinning: I've seen it done, and it can get messy without the right tools and a steady hand. It isn't really necessary as 2-ton epoxy can do the job.

That's my 2 cents...hope that helps!

Thanks

I usually source my firesteels from Amazon (can get decent deals on packs of 5 or so).

If you are looking for inspiration or details on how to secure the rod to a given handle material, IAWoodsman has stuff on youtube and the section of the Bushclass having to do specifically with making a custom firesteel has been a great help for me.

I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm sure there are different qualities of rods out there, just not a great way to tell them apart - I've found that for me personally, the quality/profile of the striker has a lot more to do with the quality of sparks I get than the brand/size of the rod..

I'll be keeping on eye on this thread to see if anyone has definition on the spark quality question

Thanks

if you want a fairly large quantity , you might check evilbay.

I bought 32 1/2 inch ones about 12 inches long several years ago at $60 for the bag. They work just fine, and I can make 3 roughly 4 inch long steels from a single rod.

Thus essentially a life time supply for myself.

One good 1/2 inch 5 inch long rod would last most folk for a very long time.

Thanks

www.firesteel.com if you want quality.

Thanks

Another vote for Firesteel.com. Excellent quality and they have really gone the extra mile for my $.

Tracker
    Thanks

Can't go wrong with firesteel.com!

Tracker
    Thanks

I am waiting on an order from an ebay seller. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try some of the cheapies, as I know the Firesteel.com rods work great.

I'll throw in some input on a lathe if you are looking... I have 2 Jet variable speed mini lathes. I bought the first one about 8 years ago and the second about 4 years ago. I do a lot of "hobby" turning and have put more hours on each of these little lathes than I would care to calculate. I have replaced bearings in the head stock and a power (toggle) switch on each one. I bought mine off of Amazon. If one of these every gives up the ghost, it will quickly be replaced with another Jet mini.

Tracker
    Thanks

Firesteel.com again. I've used a pile of different ones, works best for me.

Thanks

Another vote for firesteel.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast