Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Bears Won't Hurt You.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 500 Posts

Default Black Bears Won't Hurt You.

We hear that nonsense all the time, don’t we? Others will say “Ahhh, Black bears are more afraid of you than you are of they. Why carry that extra weight?" Here is just another prime example how that nonsense can get you hurt... or killed.

Doesn't happen often ... but then once is enough, huh?

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...ar-attack?lite

That guy is incredibly lucky his partner had a gun and had the ability to use it.

Just another reason why you won’t find this child out in the boonies without a heavy caliber handgun, or a rifle.

S.M.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seniorman For This Useful Post:

Scout
    Thanks

Apparently bears are making a comeback in Texas now and are massively protected. I worry more about mountain lions where I do most of my backpacking, hiking, camping, etc..

Thanks

Yeah there was a lady mauled by a black bear outside her home in Trinidad Co last week she's ok luckily. Not sure what provoked the bear.

Tracker
    Thanks

the best bear spray is a 12 gauge!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to armtherednecks For This Useful Post:

bearhunter2

heres an interesting black bear attack story;

http://missoulian.com/news/local/art...cc4c03286.html

Thanks

The thing is, we have distanced ourselves so far from the natural world by technology that most people do not understand that predator means meat eater. We are made of meat. Most animals fear us, but under certain circumstances all can harm us. And predators (bears/mtn lions/wolves/coyotes....etc) can will and have killed and eaten us. Iv heard so much about how wolves wont attack man.... I call B.S. They can and do take down moose. A unarmed person is much easier prey. Does it happen often? Maybe... Maybe not... People go missing every year that are never found. Who knows what happened to them....

For an eye opening read, check out Night of the Grizzlies. The story of the 2 young ladies who were killed/partially eaten in Glacier NP after I believe 57 years of no documented human fatalities by grizzly, and the events leading up to that night.

Bottom line, we are only at the top of the food chain as long as we use OUR natural weapon (our brain), and the weapons we have created to keep us there. When animals lose the fear that mans reign at the top has created, we once again become prey, as evidenced in the events in Glacier NP and many others

Thanks
    Thanked 3,595 Times in 731 Posts

Pretty sure it was "Mission Accomplished" as for his reason to hit the outhouse!

Thanks

Another problem:
    Brown bears aren't always brown and Black bears aren't always black.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Willson For This Useful Post:

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified dwightp's Avatar
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Georgia
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by okcaveman View Post
    For an eye opening read, check out Night of the Grizzlies. The story of the 2 young ladies who were killed/partially eaten in Glacier NP after I believe 57 years of no documented human fatalities by grizzly, and the events leading up to that night.
    Yeah, the interesting thing about that is that they went decades without a death in the park caused from a grizzly and then they had fatalities in TWO completely separate incidents......miles apart.....on the SAME night.

Thanks

They are "Wild Animals" & they are Predators....Big ones at that....Don't trust'em...I'll try to keep my distance & I always pack heat !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to coaldigger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast