Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Bears Won't Hurt You.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodcritter View Post
    I am convinced that the threat of humans and their dogs dwarfs the threat from black bears. Every bear attack makes the news. That's because such attacks are noteworthy for their rarity. I've had a few unpleasant confrontations with drunken and/or unruly humans, and I have been bitten by their out-of-control dogs on at least two occasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by RDog View Post
    Can bears attack? Sure, but the drive to the trail is way more a concern to me, as are people, and the lose running dogs I have had contact with.

Now if I were in brown bear/grizly country I would be more concerned.
    [QUOTE=dwightp;1175844 I respect black bears but do not fear them. Grizzlies, however, are another story..........very unpredictable and very, very scary.[/QUOTE]

Spot on guys. Black bears should be treated with caution and respect for what they are. Yes they can be dangerous, but its a very rare black bear that attacks a human. I live and work around them daily. My record is 8 different bears encountered in a two week period. When in heavy vegetation with low visibility make some noise, don't crowd them, don't run, don't let them get to close, and you will likely never have a problem.

Elder Bush Class Basic Certified
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,204 Times in 8,566 Posts

Nie pogrywaj ze mna

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sgt. Mac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 403 Posts

Bear attacks may be rare but I work from two different assumptions.
    A. Bears are capable of killing a human.
    B. If one is charging at me, he plans on testing my first assumption.
    Based on these two assumptions, I plan accordingly, steer clear and carry a big gun.

Jackpine Savage Supporter JOttum's Avatar
    Thanks

I read "pepper spray" in that warning sign posted by Sgt Mac as .45/70 Marlin lever action or .45 1911.
    I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight.

AXE MOB

Team Canada Supporter
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,286 Times in 1,594 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JOttum View Post
    I read "pepper spray" in that warning sign posted by Sgt Mac as .45/70 Marlin lever action or .45 1911.
    Then you lose -a gun may make you feel better but is not as effective as bear spray......... and......go

Tracker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JOttum View Post
    I would not feel at all adequately armed with a .45acp (which I dearly love) in bear territory. At least not brownies... I have had rather poor results on hogs with that cartridge and bears are worse.

I have had 2 friends kill bears in INVESTIGATED attacks. They were both cleared. How rare are bear attacks? REAL damn rare in Kansas or Delaware, maybe not so rare in back country BC or Alaska...

Tracker
    Thanks

Its funny how folks hired as bear guards carry .338 rifles instead of bear spray... your mileage may vary.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BushTramp View Post
    Then you lose -a gun may make you feel better but is not as effective as bear spray......... and......go
    I have had to fight inmates complete orange from OC a 45/70 would have defused the situation as it would with a bear.
    The Cisco Kid is a friend of mine:)

[B]THE AXE MOB

FORMERLY KNOWN AS HOP

Guide Supporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 526 Posts

This link is for a trip that Lars Monsen took completely across Canada, solo. It is interesting to watch in itself, very informative. I found the bear incidents as very informative. On numerous occasions he had to fire 12 guage shells off repeatedly to scare off bears. The bears sort of acknowledged the noise and did not go away easily. He later had to kill a bear that was trying to take him from his shelter. If you go to YouTube and follow all the episodes, it is worth it!
    Lars Monsen - Canada EP1P1 - YouTube

Seems a 12 guage is a good bear gun. I would not even consider a .45 acp or a .44 mag handgun. Both have limited capabilities against something that large and heavy.

We had a bear death here in Arizona a few years ago. A lady was walking her dog in her neigborhood. This was in the mountain area in eastern Arizona.
    Last edited by wizard; 05-24-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added comment about following Lars trip on YouTube

Scout Bush Class Basic Certified Boondock's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 309 Posts

And this whole time I've been worried about a snake biting me while visiting the outhouse.

I'm sleeping with the lights on tonight.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast