Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Black Bears Won't Hurt You.

Scout
    Thanks

I have spent a lot of time in the woods and have never had a fear of either cougars or bears anywhere in the lower 48. Alaska is a different story and I always carried a shotgun alternating slugs and 00 buckshot up there.

But, there are a lot more bears and cougars in my home state than there used tobe. A healthy animal fitting into its place in the environment is generally predictable and, common sense and a bit of training will defuse most situations. The animal I am worried about is the aging, injured, or sick one that is unable to function in its normal spot in the food chain. Then, you face the chance that good common sense and a bit of training will not fill the bill, and we are slow and easy prey...unless we have a means to protect ourselves, whether pepper spray or weapon. That is why I usually carry a Glock 9mm. It is not a rifle or a shotgun, but it is convenient to carry, has a bunch of rounds, and serves as defense for a number of contingencies. I wish I didn't have to carry anything, like I used to, but I worry about the starving, aging, animal who is desperate for something to eat.

Guide Bush Class Intermediate Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,884 Times in 612 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1773 View Post
    I have followed this thread with quite a bit of intrest and finally decided to chim in. There are many things to consider when looking at black bears, the northern bears though still the same species as the southern bears behave differently. Their feeding habits are different and they are more likely to be predatory. This is not to say that a southern bear can't be, I know of several instances in the south of predatory black bears.

Also oftimes defensive behavior of a black bear is mistaken for predatory behavior by those who are unfamilair with black bears. Actually what the bear is saying is that you are to close and need to back off and is putting on a show to try to convince you to. Usually in a predatory attack the bear does not vocalize or display, rather it stalks and attacks without warning. This is explained in Herritio's book that was referenced in an earlier post.

Also for the naysayers for bear spray, if you look at actually attacks/incidents the chances of escaping uninjured is greater if you use bear spray. Now before people start talking about how effective their firearm of choice is, if you look at a lot of the incidents of the deployment of firearms during bear attacks the person has either missed or scored ineffective hits. It is not the average person who can deploy their firearm of choice and score a tellnig hit on a moving target in the time frame that they have from the time the charge starts until the bear has reached them. Most people buy a pistol shoot it a time or two and call it good thinking they are ready to defend themselves. As many on here have said in various posts, it takes a lot of practice to develop and maintain proficency with a firearm.

The reason that bear spray seems to be so effective is that when people are able to deploy their bear spray, they tend to empty the can in effect putting up a wall of pepper spray betewen them and the bear. It seems that is a combination of the effectiveness of the OC and the visual/audible display of the spray that effects the bear. BUt those who carry their spray in or on their packs might as well leave it at home, you will have 3 seconds or less to get it out, remove the safety tab and discharge the spray to have a chance.

With all that said, your best defense is to learn about bear behavior, and be aware of what is going on around you, which you should be wheather in bear country or the 7-11. Also like many things, there are no absolutes in dealing with bears as they are a living, thinking creature that in most areas has no enemies other than man and most haven't read the book on bear behavior so they are libel to do anything. That is why situational awareness will often save the day. If you are willing/able to practice extensively with your firearm of choice under realistic contidions they are effective, if not you are probably better off with bear spray
    Good post
    Want to say +1 on a couple of your points and that is
    -the small amount of time you have to deploy your bear spray so have it in a holster , vest pocket or some where you can get it immediately
    -Situational awareness. One of the biggest tools/weapons you can have is an awareness of what is happening at the moment,, listening watching and feeling while your in the woods especially with encounters of predators. If you don't have much experience around bears its good to study bear behavior from people who its part of their life work, their job etc. Unfortunately too many people have opinions and attitudes that are not really based on a body of experience or knowledge.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mbiraman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 346 Posts

"A TRUE GRIZZLY BEAR STORY"
    ďMany of you know that Ron, was attacked by a grizzly bear last weekend in Wyoming , while bow hunting elk with his dad. Ron amazing came through with non life threatening injuries. Ron, who is an experienced hunter and used to be a guide, was calling an elk for his dad, who was down hill 40 yards. The elk suddenly spooked and then Ron heard a noise behind him. He turned around and a grizzly was 15 feet behind him. He tried to shoo it away but it proceeded toward him. He went behind a tree and the bear kept coming, so he took off on his Ďdeath runí down hill towards his dad. With the grizzly just feet behind his son, and running full speed, Ronís dad shot one arrow. Ron saw the arrow fly by his leg, unsure of whether it hit the bear, and within a few more steps, Ron was on his back with the grizzly on top of him. With is arms shielding his head, Ron kicked and punched the bear with all he had. Ron said it all went to fast and he was so full of adrenaline, he could not feel any pain at the time of the attack. When the bear continued to attack, Ronís dad, could see that the bear was bleeding badly from the arrow, and he went over and started beating on the bear with his bow (You can not carry guns during bow hunting, so he had nothing to shoot it). The bear continued to attack Ron, biting clear through his left hand and glove, and down to the bone of his right arm just below the elbow. Then the bear, stopped, looking at Ronís dad, walked away several yards, and rolled over dead. The bear was autopsied and showed that it was well over 500 lbs (the grizzlies in that area average 350lbs) and 11 years old (which is in itís prime). Following the path of the arrow, the autopsy showed that the arrow went in, hit a main artery, then bent, and hit the heart! A one in a thousand shot they said. Another important fact to mention and that gave me chills is that Ronís dad had had surgery on his arm, because he had injured his arm and was not even able to pull the bow last season. This was to be his big hunt, and before the day of the attack, he had already missed two elk that were standing still. The morning of the attack, Ronís dad (also named Ron), prayed ĎGod please guide my arrow todayí.Little did Ron Sr. and Ron know how God would guide his arrow that day!Ē http://gothunts.com/grizzly-attacks-wyoming-bowhunter/

734853_530097690347260_260347417_n.jpg
    Last edited by captainamer; 01-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to captainamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,582 Times in 584 Posts

That was an absolutely amazing story. Thank you for taking the trouble to recount it. So glad it had a happy ending.

- Martin

Quote Originally Posted by captainamer View Post
    "A TRUE GRIZZLY BEAR STORY"
    ďMany of you know that Ron, was attacked by a grizzly bear last weekend in Wyoming , while bow hunting elk with his dad. Ron amazing came through with non life threatening injuries. Ron, who is an experienced hunter and used to be a guide, was calling an elk for his dad, who was down hill 40 yards. The elk suddenly spooked and then Ron heard a noise behind him. He turned around and a grizzly was 15 feet behind him. He tried to shoo it away but it proceeded toward him. He went behind a tree and the bear kept coming, so he took off on his Ďdeath runí down hill towards his dad. With the grizzly just feet behind his son, and running full speed, Ronís dad shot one arrow. Ron saw the arrow fly by his leg, unsure of whether it hit the bear, and within a few more steps, Ron was on his back with the grizzly on top of him. With is arms shielding his head, Ron kicked and punched the bear with all he had. Ron said it all went to fast and he was so full of adrenaline, he could not feel any pain at the time of the attack. When the bear continued to attack, Ronís dad, could see that the bear was bleeding badly from the arrow, and he went over and started beating on the bear with his bow (You can not carry guns during bow hunting, so he had nothing to shoot it). The bear continued to attack Ron, biting clear through his left hand and glove, and down to the bone of his right arm just below the elbow. Then the bear, stopped, looking at Ronís dad, walked away several yards, and rolled over dead. The bear was autopsied and showed that it was well over 500 lbs (the grizzlies in that area average 350lbs) and 11 years old (which is in itís prime). Following the path of the arrow, the autopsy showed that the arrow went in, hit a main artery, then bent, and hit the heart! A one in a thousand shot they said. Another important fact to mention and that gave me chills is that Ronís dad had had surgery on his arm, because he had injured his arm and was not even able to pull the bow last season. This was to be his big hunt, and before the day of the attack, he had already missed two elk that were standing still. The morning of the attack, Ronís dad (also named Ron), prayed ĎGod please guide my arrow todayí.Little did Ron Sr. and Ron know how God would guide his arrow that day!Ē http://gothunts.com/grizzly-attacks-wyoming-bowhunter/

734853_530097690347260_260347417_n.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PineMartyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,932 Times in 854 Posts

As my granny sez..."if it got a mouth, it bites"

Got thrown off a horse right in front of a 500 pound black bear and it kept eating then ambled away...but I wouldn't wanna count on that happening everytime.

sent from my dumb phone.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678