Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Swedish Canvas Ruck Restoration

Thanks

Default WIP - Swedish Canvas Ruck Restoration

So, I've always loved canvas packs (I've had several canvas backpacks for school and a canvas messenger bag in the past as well)... I figured if I wanted to start out Bushcrafting the right way it should be with a canvas pack. So, I obtained one at a great price from wildernesswikiup14, and now comes the fun part! I knew the condition it was in when I bought it, and I must admit that I look forward to the restoration process almost as much as I look forward to actually using it!

So, the plan thus far is to:
    1.) Remove all leather parts from the pack and frame and make new ones out of natural veg-tan.
    2.) Remove leather pieces from canvas sack (suede/soft leather) and replace with new leather pieces.
    3.) Wash and dry canvas and then re-dye dark green, repairing any bad spots with new canvas.
    4.) Polish frame and buckles and remove any rust/deposits.
    5.) Re-assemble with new copper rivets throughout and restitch leather to canvas.
    6.) "Waterproof" with paraffin.

"Before" Photos:

WIP - Swedish Canvas Ruck Restoration by DavisLeather, on Flickr

WIP - Swedish Canvas Ruck Restoration by DavisLeather, on Flickr

Wish me luck!
    ~Chris of WV

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chrisofwv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,249 Times in 1,222 Posts

Sounds cool. I have this same pack and I like it. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the leather straps. They're fine for short hikes if the pack is light but long treks and heavy loads and it's not comfortable. I'm going to replace the shoulder straps with some Alice straps and see how it does. Other than treating the leather on mine that's all I'm planning to do. The one I received was in a little better condition than yours. But I'm looking forward to the after pics. Sounds like a lot of work so I hope it turns out good for you.
    Last edited by OutdoorEnvy; 06-01-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorEnvy View Post
    Sounds cool. I have this same pack and I like it. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the leather straps. They're fine for short hikes if the pack is light but long treks and heavy loads and it's not comfortable. I'm going to replace the should straps with some Alice straps and see how it does. Other than treating the leather on mine that's all I'm planning to do. The one I received was in a little better condition than yours. But I'm looking forward to the after pics. Sounds like a lot of work so I hope it turns out good for you.
    I think the work will be worth the results! I'm going to modify the straps after I finish the standard pack first. I've got a lot of suede and other softer leathers and I believe I'll end up making some thicker and wider "slide-on" pads as well as a pad to cover where the fram rests on my back... Hopefully that'll ease up some of the discomfort...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,249 Times in 1,222 Posts

That sounds like a good idea for the shoulder straps. Honestly the lower back leather part never felt uncomfortable to me. It was just the shoulder straps having no padding and not being very long. I'm 6'5 225 and the leather straps just did not adjust much to fit my frame so the Alice straps should be much better. I've got them ordered so we'll see here a couple weeks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 610 Posts

Good luck!

But I can't wait to see the end result!

Thanks

Well, I measured out the leather pieces and sketched the design last night and before work this morning, so on my lunch break today I went ahead and ground off all the rivets and removed all the leather from the frame. I then proceeded to remove all the hardware from the leather and I plan on cleaning it later on (or perhaps even replacing some of it). Then, I used a wire wheel on the frame to clean it up some, although thanks to all the odd angles there are some places I couldn't get to... Might have to take a wire brush and elbow grease to it later as well. Still, not bad for a 30 minute lunch break, eh?

WIP - Swedish Canvas Ruck Restoration - Step 1 by DavisLeather, on Flickr

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chrisofwv For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Brass Studs, Before and After

Brass Studs - Before by DavisLeather, on Flickr

Brass Studs - After by DavisLeather, on Flickr

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisofwv For This Useful Post:

Thanks

New frame straps cut from 10 oz. Veg-Tan leather and given a heavy coating of Neatsfoot Oil... Next up, punching the belt holes and attaching buckles... And to think, these are just the straps for the frame...

New Frame Straps for Swedish Rucksack Restoration by DavisLeather, on Flickr

New Frame Straps for Swedish Rucksack Restoration by DavisLeather, on Flickr

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisofwv For This Useful Post:

Mora junkie Rat biker Supporter Easy_rider75's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,418 Posts

Man that is going to be one sweet piece of work when done up. Will be watching the outcome
    I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.~Frank Sinatra~
    bushclass 6 of 14

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_rider75 View Post
    Man that is going to be one sweet piece of work when done up. Will be watching the outcome
    Thank you! I hope it'll turn out as good as I think it will... I got all the pieces put together for the frame (I ended up using chicago screws rather than rivets) and I must admit it looks pretty good! The only parts I have to do regarding the frame now is the side straps that act as a secondary support to the belt clips.

Now comes the hard part... Removing the leather from the canvas pack itself, repairing the canvas (in case there's some rot in the stitching around the leather, which looks to have been wet at some time or other), re-dyeing the canvas, making replacement leather for the bag, and then re-assembling it all. THEN, hopefully waterproofing it...

I'll post a picture of the assembled frame sometime tomorrow morning...

Thanks for taking an interest in my project, guys (and any gals). Gives me a reason to keep it up!

G'night all!
    ~Chris

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast