Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Migratory box of bushcraft junk.

Hybrid View

Axe Addict Enabler Supporter
    Vendor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 313 Posts

Default Migratory box of bushcraft junk.

Okay, so this idea has been brewing in my head for a while, and I'm curious to see if anyone else is interested.

In the high-tech tinkering world, there exists an object known as "The Great Internet Migratory Box of Electronics Junk" or "Tgimboej" for short. The concept behind this is very simple, its a flat-rate box full of parts, and a list of names and addresses. Somehow, your name gets put on the list inside the box, the box is sent to you based on your name being inside. You give and take to the box as you see fit, check your name off the list, and send it to another random person on the list, after adding one(or more) new name of someone who would want to participate. (The name adding and selecting/sending process can be a bit more complicated, but I'll address that in a minute). I've actually received 2 Tgimboej's (nobody really knows how many are out there) and have seen another half dozen or so.

There are some problems with the original concept, one being that the "list" can get really long (I've seen one with 300 pending recipients) and people move, or lose interest. In that case, the box usually "dies" somewhere. Other times, the box gets too homogeneous, full, or gets nearly emptied. All of these can be solved with having a cycle-back point and a central name list, where the box comes back to its point of origin, to be either re-sent with a new list, combined with another box, refreshed/mixed with the contents of another box, or split and sent out as 2 boxes.

My idea is to start a bushcraft version of the box. I'd be more than willing to start one (more later if it goes well, and the interest is there) and serve as the cycle-back point for it. I just want to see if the interest is there, and if the box can maintain some quality before I dive in and start a bunch of them.

As a test run, I think a cycle-back after 10 people should be enough to gauge how things would go on a larger set of boxes out there.

So, the first 10 people with at least 50 posts to say they're in will be the list for the test run. But before you say you're in, make sure you can:

1. Re-send a large USPS flat-rate box within one week of receipt
    2. Take and GIVE something to the box. (You MUST take at least one item, and must add at least one new thing, though you can do much more of either if it suits you)

Items to add may be finished goods or raw materials (within reason, no baggies full sand)of any value, just take something you can use, give something you can spare.

Other rules for adding (no food, no perishable items....more as I think of them) will be included inside the box.

So that's it. The first 10 to respond will be contacted, and we'll get things rolling. I'm headed to the flea market tomorrow, and I'll be looking for things to start a box with.

Guide
    Thanks

If limited to only 10 I'm in,

coal burner Supporter
    Hobbyist
    Bush Class Basic Certified
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 584 Posts
    Items for Sale

Sounds good to me. Got a few things I can contribute. I'm in.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. -Irish blessing

Axe Mob
    intermediate certification- requirements: 3 of 12, electives: 6 of 18 , outings: 0 of 11

Axe Addict Enabler Supporter
    Vendor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,373 Times in 313 Posts

Yep, only 10 people for now, so total travel time should be under 3 months (hopefully faster, in a dream world, you send it out as fast as you can)

If it goes well, I plan on expanding to multiple boxes, with each cycling back after 10 people (that number is subject to change, but I think it would be about right).

Thanks

I'm in. This sounds like a really neat idea. Thanks for the chance to participate

Tracker
    Thanks

I'm not, less than 50.

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified Grizzix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 459 Posts

I'm in

Thanks

Sounds fun, I'm in.

Thanks

I'd like to participate. Interesting idea. I think you're right in keeping the initial number of folks participating kind of low-- it only takes one to take it all and disappear. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 357 Posts

Heck, I'll give it a go as well.
    If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS.
    Blade Scrounger #12
    Axe Mobster
    Machete Mafioso

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast