Thread: Hog Snares for Legal trapping in Louisiana

Thanks

Default Hog Snares for Legal trapping in Louisiana

I saw where another new member posted on the subject of making snares. Its legal in my state to use snares for trapping of hogs and yotes during trapping season and I do just that so I thought I would share some insight into how its done legally and how to properly construct them. This is a cool self made gear project if legal in your state and helps with "outlaw quadrupede" (thats the legal jargon) population of feral hogs.

Warning if you do decide to build a few sets you better make certain what the law is in your state concerning possession and use for the times of the year.

For a hog set 10 -12 foot of 1/8 gal or stainless preferably coated aircraft cable, a couple single ferrule, a washer and some hognose rings.

On one end of the cable place a single ferrule and hammer it down, then bend it over so that it stays bent 90*

Now drill a hole slightly larger than 1/8" in each side of the washer and bend it 90* in the middle so the hole you drilled are across from each other. Slide one end on the cable with the 90* washer sliding over the single ferrule you hammered on earlier.

Simply slide the other end of the cable through the other hole in the washer so that the washer will slide tight when the set is pulled.

Slide a double ferrule onto the cable and make a tiny loop on the end you slid it on and hammer it down. This the loop that you will secure the set to the tree with by passing the catch loop around the tree and through the little loop you just made.

In our state deer stops are mandatory and are placed so the catch loop can not close all the way and trap deer, hence the name. I crimp hognose rings to the catch loop to make the deer stop.

You need many set as in 12-24 to stand a chance on active trails to be effective. If ever the need arose where this was the last resort you may scrap by but I reckon you will be a few pounds lighter lol!

If smaller game is legal in your state just use smaller dia cable and still build them the same way but with less length.

Good luck and hope you have enjoyed this legal post.

FYI please dont discuss how you have set them out or what you have caught or did not catch if they are not legal in your state as you will then be in violation of the forum rules and this awesome info will go to waste to those that would like to add another skill set to their knowledge base.

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately hogs are treated as game animals here in California, and cannot be snared under normal circumstances.

However, could you please post some pictures of the finished product? This would help clarify the the direction the cable goes through the bent washer, etc. Also, if you could let us know what size washer you are using with this size cable?

Note: Edited to remove erroneous statement.
    Last edited by stevomiller; 07-03-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks

I will round up some pics but the size of the washer changes with the size of the cable. Think dime size for small wire and nickle size for hogs. I make most of mine from angle iron. I just saw a 1/2 wide piece off and drill my holes.

Here is a site that had pics and pretty much how I do mine other than I make my deer stops and cable slides. I have made a few cam locks as well but the angle iron is all that is needed.

http://boarmasters.com/making_hog_snares.html

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks Hunter. I will have to keep this as just an intellectual exercise for now. After I first posted to this thread I found that about ten years ago my state banned the use of snares even for fur bearing animals. Hmmm, I hate this state, sure isn't the same as it used to be.

rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,297 Times in 846 Posts

1/8 is good and strong but just for kicks you may want to try some 7x7 3/32 cable if you have not already done so. Although not as strong as 1/8 it is strong enough and has the advantage of being faster. This means less misses, especially on small hogs. A 10foot heavy extension cable of 7x7 1/8 cable with an inline swivel connected by a quick link to a 3/32 camlock snare is a good setup. This allows you to make the actual snare using less cable, just long enough to make the biggest loop you would want. The 1/8 extension can be reused for another catch and only the snare section needs to be replaced.

I prefer camlocks as I believe they are faster than washer or "L" locks on thick cable. I do know that big hogs can bend thin metal locks. The thin metal designs seen commercially available and often called a "wolf and hog lock" are to be avoided for this reason. The one in the boarmaster link looks like one of these thin ones to me as well but perhaps they work well for some folks. I do not like them.

An easy way to make an adjustable loop on the tie off end is to run the cable up through and back down through a double ferrule forming a loop but do not crimp or smash the ferrule. Then crimp a stop onto the end of the cable. This allows you to open up the loop if you need to and gives you the option of looping over a stump or large log/drag.

What do you mean by coated cable?
    Are you talking about a cable dipped in plastic or some other coating?

The reason I ask is that uncoated, bare cable has a way of grabbing hair and is a good thing when it comes to firing the snare. I would not want a smooth cable.

Too bad about the deer stops. The nature of the set means most deer would be caught by the neck in a snare, not the feet, and a deer stop does nothing to save them. I believe lots of trappers who were trying to get snares legalized in their states used deer stops as a way to get snare use passed. Break away locks are only slightly better. Many a coyote and fox have escaped from being caught by a snare with a deer stop (tail and foot catches) only to save a very very small number of deer. Oh well, another subject....

Glad to see some info from someone using them for a change instead of the same old sad roll of floral wire in a bug out bag. Hope this thread stays alive. Snares have a way of getting things shut down it seems.

Thanks for your post.
    Last edited by GKiT; 07-03-2012 at 05:28 PM.
    "Show me the man that can clean fish and pick ducks in a hurry and I'll show you the man who can catch em and kill em in a hurry." - Phil Robertson

Recluse at Heart Supporter PMSteve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,720 Times in 1,813 Posts

If you use a Pedersen set, you don't have to fool with washers and the like. One piece of cable and an anchor or drag will do it.
    Ula's Liver Transplant Fund: http://gfwd.at/1nH6mjd

For a Laugh, Check out my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

Tracker
    Thanks

Thanks for the post! While I can't apply it here in AK, its interesting. I've never heard of snares for an animal that big.

G.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,301 Times in 473 Posts

Check out the heart shaped trap. This is what is popular in Oklahoma. Its not a snare but it is an excellent alternative.

http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/files/2010/05/CorralTraps.pdf

Banned Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMScooter View Post
    Check out the heart shaped trap. This is what is popular in Oklahoma. Its not a snare but it is an excellent alternative.

http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/files/2010/05/CorralTraps.pdf
    Not a whole lot different from some types of fish weirs and traps I've seen back home I would not have thought to apply it in this way. Thanks