Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Axe Under $50

Scout
    Thanks

Default Best Axe Under $50

Here's the thing... I've been getting by with cheap hardware store axes for quite a while now. I'm tired of using crappy axes and being frustrated.

I really want a good quality axe. Something with a 26" handle around 2 pounds give or take, but I'm on a really tight budget.

I know... I know:

Save another $__ and buy a $____

That's not the issue. It's not that I can't afford a good axe. It's not that I'm really cheap either. I have a wife and 4 kids and I'm underemployed and living paycheck to paycheck. I figure that $50 is about all that my wife will let me spend on an axe. I have enough in the bank for a GB. But I would have to skimp on something else, and that would affect my family.

I'm not a gear junkie... most of my gear has served well for a long time. I much prefer to be using gear than shopping for gear. I hate shopping really. That's why I'm looking for opinions here. I also am not interested in restoring and hanging an axe head. I just don't have the tools and experience to do a good job and I would hate to ruin a good axe by hacking at it with a file and a grinder.

So, all of you axe guys.... What's the best value for $50 that won't leave me cussing at my axe or sleeping alone?

Ed

Baryonyx Walkeri Vendor FortyTwoBlades's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,674 Times in 3,014 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgebushcraft View Post
    Here's the thing... I've been getting by with cheap hardware store axes for quite a while now. I'm tired of using crappy axes and being frustrated.

I really want a good quality axe. Something with a 26" handle around 2 pounds give or take, but I'm on a really tight budget.

I know... I know:

Save another $__ and buy a $____

That's not the issue. It's not that I can't afford a good axe. It's not that I'm really cheap either. I have a wife and 4 kids and I'm underemployed and living paycheck to paycheck. I figure that $50 is about all that my wife will let me spend on an axe. I have enough in the bank for a GB. But I would have to skimp on something else, and that would affect my family.

I'm not a gear junkie... most of my gear has served well for a long time. I much prefer to be using gear than shopping for gear. I hate shopping really. That's why I'm looking for opinions here. I also am not interested in restoring and hanging an axe head. I just don't have the tools and experience to do a good job and I would hate to ruin a good axe by hacking at it with a file and a grinder.

So, all of you axe guys.... What's the best value for $50 that won't leave me cussing at my axe or sleeping alone?

Ed
    Husqvarna or Condor would do the job. In the event that you get old stock with a Condor (they had some issues that were recently fixed--and nicely at that!) the company will gladly swap it out for you.
    Baryonyx Knife Co.--Owner

"To live at all is miracle enough"~Mervyn Peake

Machete Mafia

Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 1,748 Posts

Bahco

Council

Certifiably Bushed Supporter WoodsJack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,887 Times in 1,776 Posts

Best value? Used. A yardsale/flea market/craigslist find.

I've gotten some good Swedish steel for a fraction of $50.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsJack View Post
    Best value? Used. A yardsale/flea market/craigslist find.

I've gotten some good Swedish steel for a fraction of $50.
    True that, brother!

Machete Mafia

Scout
    Thanks

I was looking at condor axes, but they are all either shorter or longer than what I'd like.

The bahco might be an option. How hard is it to sand that orange paint off of it?

Ed

Guide Bush Class Basic Certified nothinghead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,358 Times in 655 Posts

Used head on eBay or a thrift store. Put your own handle on it. That is probably the best value out there.

Thanks

Save yourself the trouble and use paint stripper on it.

Machete Mafia

Scout
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FortyTwoBlades View Post
    Save yourself the trouble and use paint stripper on it.
    good idea... I've been wanting to get the black paint off of my BK2 for 2 years now so I need to get some stripper anyway.

Ed

Scout
    Thanks

I REALLY like the Husqvarna traditional axe. I have heard that some people have gotten mixed results with those, though. Some of the handles I've seen looked pretty bad with poor grain orientation and alot of heartwood.

I think I saw a thread on here that showed the Husqvarna with some really bad grinding done on it from the factory.

I could maybe get away with the $65 but I'm concerned about the quality control. I would order one if I could order it from another bushcrafter who would hand pick one for me.

Ed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast